Thread: Gosť BJCP 27A

Gosť BJCP 27A

Ok. I'm putting the ť so you all dont go calling it goose like I did for 2 weeks or so.

Remember when I went german for a day?
    My friend brought 2 "beers" in from Germany for me to brew. After my issues with the Rye beer I asked another friend with a grainfather to brew this one for me. Basically BIAB doesn't work well with a step mash like required by "the germans "

Anyway go read up on the style and you will immediately think WTF! No way I'm putting that in my pie hole.

Short extract from BJCP. " tart and fruity wheat ale with a restrained coriander and salt character and low bitterness."

Like NO!

But I got it so had to give it a go.

Brewed fermented and bottled(@2.7 vol CO2)
    Then it sat for its 2 weeks. And I gave it another. I really wasn't sure if I wanted to drink this.

But when I tried it I was SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED! I need to get a bottle or 2 to Toxyc so he can put some proper tasting notes down below but it was really cool.

No WTF here. Its slightly cloudy from the wheat. But clearing.
    Now here comes the weirdness the salt brings.
    Its crisp like a well made blonde but then at the back of your tongue to the edges where your salt perception is it gives you a fullness/lingering that makes it taste more full bodied while still being crisp.

Honestly I think the brew shop that sold my friend this recipe knew not not to make this one to "interesting " and it turned out great.

They also know us and put no details of the grain bill or hops on the package. So i can never reproduce this. But I'm open for making one again in the future

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Looks Yum
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Carel van Heerden won SA National Homebrew champs with a Gose in 2018! Awesome beer.

Hmm. I wouldn't mind a taste test, but from experience I can tell you I'm not the biggest fan of sour beers or beers with a sour/tart note. Here I prefer malty/rich/sweet notes. Looks great though

Interesting beer indeed. Lyk lekker, well done. Whats the pH of the final beer?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Harhm; 7th June 2020 at 19:17.
    I value your experience more than your opinion - You could but you shouldn't - You should but I wouldn't - Time is on your side, never rush a beer - Have fun, its only beer - Don't believe all the crap you read on the www

I have no idea. I've yet to move into PH monitoring. And since they dont share the recipe I cant even estimate based on the grain bill. Definitely not as interesting as the spiced version you showed. How did it taste. For sure some lemon notes in this one would be awesome

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

The grain bill for most Gose's is very simple. Pale malt, 15 % wheat and 2 % Biscuit is what I used. With your recipe being German there is a very good chance that they added accidulated malt to drive the pH down

I previously got some tartness from Kveik Ragnarok from Liquid Culture with some bonus citrus notes that I think will work well in a Gose. You actually need clean yeast character.

If you don't want to sour your beer Ill start with 10% accidulated malt, 1g/L coriander @ 5 min, Ragnarok and add the Himalayan salt to taste after fermentation.

The combination between the tartness, light citrus and salt is the tricky part to keep it balanced, refreshing and interesting. It will take a few batches to dial it in to your taste

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Harhm; 8th June 2020 at 08:17.
    I value your experience more than your opinion - You could but you shouldn't - You should but I wouldn't - Time is on your side, never rush a beer - Have fun, its only beer - Don't believe all the crap you read on the www