Help with harvested yeast please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mouter View Post
    I should have taken a picture before I swirled it to decant it into sterilized jars. All of it was these curdled bits. Not a uniform, more compact cake like I’m used to with ale yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks like bits of malt there mate. another reason top cropping works for me, i just dump the trub

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
      looks like bits of malt there mate. another reason top cropping works for me, i just dump the trub
      I’ll attempt that on the next brew

Comment

• Bought a vial of Olso Kveik for R90 with my recent bi-annual bulk malt purchase from Bevplus and pitched it into a pale ale last night. It’s happily bubbling away at 32 degrees in my fermentation chamber as I type this. I want to top crop later today - one YT video suggests to do so halfway between OG and expected FG - but despite the happy bubbling I don’t see much of a krausen. Maybe I should just wait a bit longer?

As a side note, the vial said that it’s perfect to pitch in 25l of 1,055 or lower gravity. For a higher gravity you need to pitch another vial. I thought Kveik needs big beers?

Comment

• They are just covering themselves. Kveik has higher nutritional requirements(why it works good in big beers) so using it in a smaller beer you need to add nutrients or it can stall.

Kveik likes abuse so brew on, but also remember pitching enough yeast even kveik will generally lead to a better ferment, you can use a yeast calculator to get an idea of the best amount of yeast cells for your wort, from there i generally build a starter to get me there

Comment

• I pitched the whole vial, no point in trying to split it. I just remember from previous discussions here that opinion about it needing a high gravity to prevent it from getting stuck. My OG was only 1,048, but I added servomyces 10 minutes before the end of the boil for what it’s worth. It’s chugging away happily but gravity is only down to 1,041 twelve hours after pitching.

Comment

• Any krauzen yet ?

i can't comment on my Oslo's krauzen ... I pitched straight from vial and a few hours later the airlock was dancing and once i see that, I don't touch it again ... I close up the chamber and only check for bubbles a few days later

I saved yeast from the trub and have made about 4 brews from that first save ...no problems yet.

there is enough for about 2 more brews and then I will harvest/save the trub again
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                Any krauzen yet ?

i can't comment on my Oslo's krauzen ... I pitched straight from vial and a few hours later the airlock was dancing and once i see that, I don't touch it again ... I close up the chamber and only check for bubbles a few days later

I saved yeast from the trub and have made about 4 brews from that first save ...no problems yet.

there is enough for about 2 more brews and then I will harvest/save the trub again
                Yes, about 3cm. My fermentation vessel is semi-transparent so I don’t have to open it to check. I took a reading and the fermentation is about halfway so my mason jars are in boiling water now. I’m going to top-crop soon, and will harvest from the yeast cake after bottling.

Comment

• Cool.
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• I’m quite happy with the result of my top crop harvesting. I boiled a spoon with the jar and lid, and carefully scooped as much foam as I could off the krausen without scooping up wort or coagulated protein. I let that settle and then added some boiled and cooled water before tightening the lid and putting it in the fridge. The fermentation continued and was complete by this morning (possibly earlier, I only took a gravity reading around 10:00 today but bubbling had ceased by last night). I dry hopped this morning and plan on bottling Tuesday evening.
                    Here’s the harvest.

Comment

• I harvested US-05 in May, and it was sitting in a jar in my fridge since then. This past Saturday I brewed a pale ale, and decided to use the yeast instead of the kveik I harvested last time I brewed as it was so old. I checked the smell before setting the temperature of my fermentation fridge and it smelled fine. 30 hours after pitching it there hadn’t been any airlock activity whatsoever, so I pitched a packet of US-04 dry yeast. A few hours later the airlock started bubbling and it has been since (for about 36 hours).

Can it be that the harvested yeast was too old and died? I set the jar on a counter top to warm it up while brewing, and during cooling the wort the jar popped open (a Jacob’s coffee jar with the rubber seal). Was that just due to expansion of the air or the yeast waking up? Assuming the harvested yeast was dead, it shouldn’t affect the taste of my beer right? It’ll just act as nutrient for the activated dry yeast I pitched?

Comment

• Dead yeast can contribute flavours of autolysis in your beer, which is why most recommend creating a starter with old yeast slurries to get the new yeast to consume some of that stuff. But yes, it should not be too much of an issue.

Comment

• Yeah mine looks like that as well, just a smaller jar and a bit less yeast. I scooped some wort so I'm worried about fermentation in the jar, so I just burped them yesterday for safety. I'll see what Oslo does in this beer that's seemingly done this morning before I decide what to do with it in the future.

Comment

• Always do a starter with old yeast to ensure vitality.

I have had a yeast slurry take 36-48 hours before showing activity in the starter and still rip through a batch.

Probably co2 expanding or coming out of solution as the jar came to room temp.

If the yeast really was dead and you have autolysis(think marmite) then you will have a meaty or marmite off taste from the yeast dumping its cell contents in your beer.

The live yeast will metabolize some of this cell contents as nutrients but a slurry amount is to much. Just fyi if the slurry smelled fine this most probably isnt an issue as you would smell it.

As in all things rdwhahb.

- - - Updated - - -

Toxxyc types faster than me.

Comment

• Perhaps the harvested US-05 from May was just really slow to start up and it wasn’t the dry US-04 that started up the airlock activity. I pitched that Sunday afternoon late. I should’ve waited until yesterday morning to give the US-05 enough time. Oh well, hopefully the beer tastes OK. The next brew I’ll use the harvested Kveik. I got spoiled with its speed the last two brews I did.

Comment

• I also had a bit of delay with a fresh pack of US-05 recently, so give it some time.

Comment

Working...
                                X