Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
    +1 Next step ... learn to build bigger starter with ONE pack of yeast
    If only we had GoFerm in South Africa, we'd be golden. Rehydrate yeast with that stuff, half a teaspoon of Fermaid-O 20 minutes later and then you pitch in some high-gravity wort and you're golden. I've been considering making a tiny batch (like 2l) of very high gravity wort, highly fermentable, just with some pale malt, boil it up, pour it into 300ml glass jars and stick them in the freezer. When you need to make a starter, defrost a jar and pitch it. Done.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
      +1 Next step ... learn to build bigger starter with ONE pack of yeast
      Yes .. been reading up about it.. won't be making that mistake again.
      BTW bottle the Castle Lite clone this morning .. will post pic in it's appropiate thread.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
        As most of you guys know I'm doing this Castle Lite Clone brew and I pitched S23 yeast - of which I made a 1litre starter with 100g DME - and this formula has worked for me in the past to pitch my 3x 5gal fermenters (US05, VOSS, B134). Guess VOSS is in a sepperate category..

Now! .. as some know I'm having a really slow ferment on this S23 - and I didn't know why.. So after recent posts with members I concluded that I didn't have enough yeast to start of with - so, did some more research on the pitching yeast / starter topic.

This from BrewersFriend:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]3115[/ATTACH]
        Seems that not all (dry and liquid) yeasts are made equal. My S23 yeast scales fairly down the scale of viable yeast cells. Other thing I haver learned is that ale brews require way less yeast than lager brews (coz lagers ferment at lower temps) therefor need twice as much starter yeast.

EDIT: Who has the slow ferment with the Notingham Ale Yeast? There you go - now you know why. BruHaha .. why so quiet ?
        Hahah, yeah was me. Been rather busy with other things... Have 2 pages of unread posts to catch up on. I bottled my marzen on Tuesday (man it was dark compared to my normal ales) but it smelled tasted so nice... I think this might be a keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
          As most of you guys know I'm doing this Castle Lite Clone brew and I pitched S23 yeast - of which I made a 1litre starter with 100g DME - and this formula has worked for me in the past to pitch my 3x 5gal fermenters (US05, VOSS, B134). Guess VOSS is in a sepperate category..

Now! .. as some know I'm having a really slow ferment on this S23 - and I didn't know why.. So after recent posts with members I concluded that I didn't have enough yeast to start of with - so, did some more research on the pitching yeast / starter topic.

This from BrewersFriend:
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3115[/ATTACH]
          Seems that not all (dry and liquid) yeasts are made equal. My S23 yeast scales fairly down the scale of viable yeast cells. Other thing I haver learned is that ale brews require way less yeast than lager brews (coz lagers ferment at lower temps) therefor need twice as much starter yeast.

EDIT: Who has the slow ferment with the Notingham Ale Yeast? There you go - now you know why. BruHaha .. why so quiet ?
          I've been researching a bit on yeast. They say if you are pitching direct from your packet say 11.5g for 5 gal it should be fine.
          But if splitting yeast like with a starter or a previous harvest then it really helps to oxygenate with pure oxygen for 1 minute.

I've never tried it. Just what I've read.

Comment

How old is that book?
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
            X