No announcement yet.

Afrimill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably the different malt then. Pretty happy with my results so far though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mouter View Post
      Probably the different malt then. Pretty happy with my results so far though.

I dont think so.
      You should get ± 1.045 from 4.4kg malt on a 23L batch.
      Your settings predicted 1.039, yet I do get 0.045 on my side when i select Belgian pale

I think make a copy of you recipe and update your equipment profile. Start with a 75% BH effiecency and work from there.

Did you do a "dry-run" with just water on your system to calculate boil-off numbers etc so you could setup BS beforehand ?
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
        I dont think so.
        Your settings predicted 1.039, yet I do get 0.045 on my side when i select Belgian pale

I think make a copy of you recipe and update your equipment profile. Start with a 75% BH effiecency and work from there.

Did you do a "dry-run" with just water on your system to calculate boil-off numbers etc so you could setup BS beforehand ?
        With all due respect; I don’t have time or an appetite for dry runs.
        I used Viking malt from Beerplus.
        I changed the BH efficiency in my equipment profile but the results stayed the same. Let’s see how the brew comes out. All things being said that’s what matters to me (and why I do this).

Comment

Afrimill

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          I dont think so.
          The diastatic power of Belgian pale is only 60 in BS. I can’t find the diastatic power of Viking pale, but wouldn’t it yield a higher SG if it had a significantly higher diastatic power? Or does that only influence fermentability?

Mouter
          Last edited by Mouter; 5 October 2020, 08:12.

Comment

Looks like your BIAB predicted mash eff is set to 66% .. hence 4.4kg of pale ale (ppg 38) will calculate 1.039 (I got 1.040 on my software). If I up the predicted mash eff to 86% then I get 1.052

As it seems to me, you need to adjust your predicted mash eff to what you think it will come to - then you'll be able to pin point your mashing/brewhouse setup.

My software mashing eff is set to 75% which is a good average. Sometimes I get a higher OG .. sometimes lower.
            Also make sure your 4.4kg is accurate .. making it say 4.6kg will up your SG readings as well.
            AlexBrew
            Last edited by AlexBrew; 5 October 2020, 09:41. Reason: correction in numbers

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
              Looks like your BIAB predicted mash eff is set to 66% .. hence 4.4kg of pale ale (ppg 38) will calculate 1.039 (I got 1.040 on my software). If I up the predicted mash eff to 86% then I get 1.052

As it seems to me, you need to adjust your predicted mash eff to what you think it will come to - then you'll be able to pin point your mashing/brewhouse setup.

My software mashing eff is set to 75% which is a good average. Sometimes I get a higher OG .. sometimes lower.
              Also make sure your 4.4kg is accurate .. making it say 4.6kg will up your SG readings as well.
              Thanks, I’ve set my efficiency to 75% now too. I think because I mill quite fine (which works with BIAB) and I sparge the bag in a bucket (my system is described on the Sparging BIAB thread) I’m getting good efficiency.
              I used our digital kitchen scale to measure the malt. I can’t think it can be out by that much.

Comment

My efficiency is currently in the low 90's when making my regular beers. It's insane. 3.5kg of malt and I usually hit the 1.046 mark in around 21l. It's pretty nice, and consistent, but varies wildly once I start making larger batches with more malt. The more the malt, the lower my efficiency (obviously), so keep that in mind as well.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mouter;30506]The diastatic power of Belgian pale is only 60 in BS. I can’t find the diastatic power of Viking pale, but wouldn’t it yield a higher SG if it had a significantly higher diastatic power? Or does that only influence fermentability?

I have Viking Pale as 76.
                  You need a total of over 30 for all the grains in the mash to have enough diastatic power to convert starch to sugar. The lowest I have gone is 45 with a Wit I brewed.
                  PPG is the main one that will contribute to the SG.
                  Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

I believe a lower DP will still do a conversion, it will just take significantly longer.

Comment

86% on Viking with BIAB? No chance.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                        I agree not likely.
                        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                          Where did I screw up on BeerSmith then? I’ll test the kitchen scale I used with items with know weight to see if that could have given me such a significant under measurement, but judging by how easily the bag stirred and how full it was compared to previous grain bills supplied by HB stores I don’t think that was the case.

Comment

It's really simple. Post the:

1. Grain Bill
                            2. Total Volume Into Kettle
                            3. Total Volume Into Fermenter

You can use online calculators to work it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post

1. Grain Bill

just post the recipe in .bmt format

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post

1. Grain Bill

I get the same efficiency using Brewersfriend. I checked our kitchen scale too and it’s accurate.

Comment

Working...
                                X