LALBREW NEW ENGLAND yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LALBREW NEW ENGLAND yeast

Anybody tried it and what is your opinion? I see it is derived from the famous Conan yeast that made Heady Topper famous. I would like to try it with my IIPA.
    Busy rebuilding ....

I pitched it straight from the packet in the wort - it took about 14-18hrs to start but it is bubbling nicely at the moment. Will post more info as my brew progress
    Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Fermentation done at 1012. Floculation almost nothing that results in a very hazy beer - true to the east coast IPA style.
      Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Thanks for keeping the updates coming. Im eagerly awaiting taste results

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

I've tied it in the past, and liked it so much that I have another 60L pale ale split batch into 4 ~15L portions with different yeasts (Lalbrew New England, Lalbrew Verdant and US05). The fourth fermenter received a equal mix of the 3 yeasts.

Recipe (62L batch):

OG : 1.046
          IBU: 45

Pale Ale Malt : 9.85kg
          Wheat Malt: 3.3kg

Mosaic (FWH) ) : 35g
          Mosaic (Whirlpool, 85deg, 15min) : 150g
          Summit (Whirlpool, 85deg, 15min) : 50g

Mosaic (Dry hop) : 300g

It was delicious even before the large dry hop.. the additional fruity flavours of the New England yeast really make a good contribution to the flavour profile. This being said, I'm not a huge fan of SO4, but generally I've ended up with beers with too high an FG for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by GregMo View Post
            I've tied it in the past, and liked it so much that I have another 60L pale ale split batch into 4 ~15L portions with different yeasts (Lalbrew New England, Lalbrew Verdant and US05). The fourth fermenter received a equal mix of the 3 yeasts.

Recipe (62L batch):

OG : 1.046
            IBU: 45

Pale Ale Malt : 9.85kg
            Wheat Malt: 3.3kg

Mosaic (FWH) ) : 35g
            Mosaic (Whirlpool, 85deg, 15min) : 150g
            Summit (Whirlpool, 85deg, 15min) : 50g

Mosaic (Dry hop) : 300g

It was delicious even before the large dry hop.. the additional fruity flavours of the New England yeast really make a good contribution to the flavour profile. This being said, I'm not a huge fan of SO4, but generally I've ended up with beers with too high an FG for my liking.
            It's like that last sentance have nothing to do with your experiment and need its own thread, or is it just me ?
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              It's like that last sentance have nothing to do with your experiment and need its own thread, or is it just me ?

Haha, yeah, likely.

I have yet to keg the beer, but have it fermenting as of now. I'll report back in a few days.
              On Wednesday (4.5 days after pitching), gravity was:
              US05: 1.015
              Verdant: 1.019
              New England: 1.019
              Mix: 1.019

I do know the New England yeast has a bit of a lag period in the beginning, so could just be that. I didn't have an issue with it in the past with finishing. Fermentation was at 18degC, ramped to 21degC at the above gravity, and wen I dry hopped.

Comment

S04 isn't the best yeast, but I've kinda been making everything with it lately. Mostly because I bought like 6kg of it a while back and I have some left, but also because it works OK for me. For my "nice" beers I use more style-appropriate yeasts. I find S04 being not the best attenuation yeast out there, often leaving a "too rich" mouthfeel for me. It works for the recommended styles and even recommended for blonde ales, but I like my blondes being drier. To compensate I tend to mash really low when I know I'll be using S04.

Comment

@FaanP Probably still to early, but no update yet? (a pic would also be nice)

Did you "fine" before bottling since you say flocculation wasn't great ?
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    @FaanP Probably still to early, but no update yet? [emoji14] (a pic would also be nice)

Did you "fine" before bottling since you say flocculation wasn't great ?
                    Bottled last week Wednesday and just had one as a sample. Very hazy beer but I'm happy...expected hazy.

The yeast it self is awesome...lovely peach aroma.

As for the rest of the brew. I screwed up the colour. Way to dark. The beer has a sweet taste in the beginning and the hops take over and you can taste the 85 IBU's. Not carbonated enough yet but I'm happy with it.

Lesson learned:
                    When brewing a DIPA or a NEIPA make sure that oxygen don't touch your beer....

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
                    Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Originally posted by FaanP View Post
                      The beer has a sweet taste in the beginning and the hops take over and you can taste the 85 IBU's. Not carbonated enough yet but I'm happy with it.
                      I find that with a NEIPA one must dail down the IBU's a bit, else the bitterness can take over from the flavour.
                      Personally I would not go higher than 45 - 50 IBU.
                      Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                        I find S04 being not the best attenuation yeast out there, often leaving a "too rich" mouthfeel for me.
                        The last 4 uses of S04 I got between 80% - 82% attenuation.
                        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Working...
                        X