Party keg systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Party keg systems

If anybody can offer experience or advise if the 5l party star keg kits are worth while?

I intend to use the party kegs for interim use until I get to putting a keezer together and later to be able to take beer where the keezer cannot go. My main question is how well does it dispense?

A lot of online reviews mention over carbonation but it seems you only start adding co2 after the initial priming gas starts running out. So either it’s the system or the online reviewers haven’t gotten it right and prime and carbonate from the get go.

Anything else to keep in mind with these?

@jvader Welcome

I think the guy that knows these kegs well is @Toxxyc

What I do remember tho, is that if you carbonate with priming sugar in these units, you ONLY use ½ the calculated sugar otherwise you will have over-carb'd beer.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Welcome Jvader

I think for the majority its a no (practicality issues, corrosion issues), but some have had success [Such as Toxxyc]

But its not just plug and play, typically with a learning curve with probably a few botches. If you can afford it, you might as well just save the learning curve for kegging and either bottle for now or fast track a keg setup [December is a great project time!]

Disclaimer: Just my opinion. The corroded minikeg after a single use and careful cleaning and drying was a deal breaker for me.
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Yep, the time and effort you're going to spend on this stuff with the inevitable beer volcano is just not worth the money. Add the "mini keg" set up costs together and save all of that for a keg setup. Everyone has a hatred for bottling and it stems from somewhere, bottle till you keg. Mini kegs are just larger more expensive iffier bottles with a shorter life span anyway.

Comment

You can always invest in a 9L or so corny setup and start there and bottle the rest? Mini regulator with a party tap, sorted? Stuff that can be used later when you have a keezer setup as well?

Comment

Thanks all. I figured was impatient as I already engaged Richard from Keg Solutions and was about to pull the trigger but have some nagging overdue home improvement/maintenance projects for December monopolising my free time and dont want it to be a rush job.

I considered the 9l corny keg setup with a party tap but fridge space is of a premium here especially during the festive season. I guess I am down to one or two bottling session at most until a decent setup. Really want to get into forced carbonation, keg hopping that I have only read about.

Thanks for the solid feedback.

Comment

^ Yip, Richard @ Keg Solution is the guy to speak to ....

Im not sure what side of CT you're situated as you could also speak to Sedick @ Electrical Industries in Paarden Eiland for kegging equipment and ideas.
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I'm looking to sell my tap with some CO2 cylinders and two brand new kegs, if you're interested. Main reason for selling is because the warehouse that sold the parts (BevPlus) is no longer operating in Midrand. Still got a branch in CPT though. If you're interested, hit me up.

I liked mine and found some hints and tips on it. First tip would be to undercarbonate severely. Like, 1/3rd of the carbonation sugar levels. Last few I carbonated to like 1/4 of the level, and then they poured WAY better. It's a GREAT party trick to whip out when friends come over, and to just pull out the tap and sink it into a new keg when the first kicks is always a good conversation point with friends.

I don't use mine because I'm lazy, that's the only reason. I batch prime and pour into bottles. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                  I'm looking to sell my tap with some CO2 cylinders and two brand new kegs, if you're interested. Main reason for selling is because the warehouse that sold the parts (BevPlus) is no longer operating in Midrand. Still got a branch in CPT though. If you're interested, hit me up.

I liked mine and found some hints and tips on it. First tip would be to undercarbonate severely. Like, 1/3rd of the carbonation sugar levels. Last few I carbonated to like 1/4 of the level, and then they poured WAY better. It's a GREAT party trick to whip out when friends come over, and to just pull out the tap and sink it into a new keg when the first kicks is always a good conversation point with friends.

I don't use mine because I'm lazy, that's the only reason. I batch prime and pour into bottles. That's it.
                  I'm looking to get a home carbonation system going for soda water and going to need a CO2 cylinder. Would you mind letting me know what price you had in mind please?

Comment

Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                    I'm looking to get a home carbonation system going for soda water and going to need a CO2 cylinder. Would you mind letting me know what price you had in mind please?
                    Looking at about R1100-1200 for a 2kg and R1500-1600 for a 5kg with the correct valve on etc. from Draught craft

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                      Looking at about R1100-1200 for a 2kg and R1500-1600 for a 5kg with the correct valve on etc. from Draught craft
                      Thanks I will give him a call if he is still open. Then still need a regulator which probably is close to the price of the cylinder. At least I would be a few steps closer to a kegging system

Comment

Thanks I will give him a call if he is still open. Then still need a regulator which probably is close to the price of the cylinder. At least I would be a few steps closer to a kegging system
                        He will sort you out.. lines, taps, regulators you name it.

Comment

The ones I'm talking about are 16g CO2 cylinders used in the Party Start Deluxe tap. Not something big.

Comment

If you are in durban I have an extra 5kg cylinder I can let go of.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X