Blonde cascade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blonde cascade

What do you think norman? Seems to tick most of the boxes?
    1.jpg

EDIT: I was going to brew this tomorrow... but I think I should slow down. I just bottled my dryhopped amarillo splitbatch a few days ago so reckon I should wait it out to compare if I like dryhop or not.
    BruHaha
    Last edited by BruHaha; 26 December 2020, 17:58.

To me thats a waste of cascade.
    Id boil for 30min only. Add the 40g cascade at 15min and the other 20 at whirlpool, or everything at whirlpool. And id drop the extra 500g pale. Make it a 4% beer with 22is ibu.

But thats how i like my blondes on the lower end of all the scales.

Not that your beer would be bad at all. If you're dead set on a 60min boil use nugget or magnum for that addition. High aa. Not a 8% aa cascade

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

For sure and I agree on the waste, but magum seems to be out at all my LHBS. Forgot about and nugget and the next best high AA I could find was columbus but apparently it has a pungentness which make it unsuitable for blonds.

Agreed on the lower end of the scale.. gonna try and aim for that. I'm trying for a more balanced (but err on the side of more malty than fruity/hoppy) taste. On the right track?

Comment

Yea you'll nail it. The style allows for a lot. So you could go Columbus since you'll boil the hell out of it anyway but stick with what you've got and you'll be fine. Sipping on my blonde now and i have to say for this time of year keep it light and low. Dropping the pale malt lower wont do much to the malt taste leave the vienna as is and lower the pale to get as close to 4 abv as possible. You'll have your malt forward taste with a little residual sweetness from the vienna and all the hop you need from the cascade.

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
          What do you think norman? Seems to tick most of the boxes?
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]2896[/ATTACH]

EDIT: I was going to brew this tomorrow... but I think I should slow down. I just bottled my dryhopped amarillo splitbatch a few days ago so reckon I should wait it out to compare if I like dryhop or not.
          Thats very close to a recipe I did in July, but never brewed it ...

Screenshot_7.png

... I don't like to DH my Blonde Ales
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Yeah, I've decided against dryhopping this one and think I've settled on this recipe for a low 4 percenter.

Screenshot_20201227_201130.jpg

Comment

There you go, thats what a blonde id love looks like

Comment

Agree, using Cascade for bittering is a waste.
                I woulod rather use a clean high value AA hop for bittering.
                I rarely add hops during boil except for bittering, mostly add at flameout /whirlpool.
                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                  Thats very close to a recipe I did in July, but never brewed it ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2898[/ATTACH]

... I don't like to DH my Blonde Ales

That is almost exactly my blonde recipe except I use 1kg vienna and 1kg pilsner, just because I can.
                  There once was a man from Nantucket.
                  Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
                  He put the wort into there,
                  to cut down on the air.
                  Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by FriedPiggy View Post
                    That is almost exactly my blonde recipe except I use 1kg vienna and 1kg pilsner, just because I can.

I think that's where the recipe comes from ... I was helping you to work something out in Beersmith.

I saved it as I wanted to tweak it for myself
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Thats rather hot for a blonde jigsaw. 5.1% for me that's pale ale territory.
                      Of course the style guide is wide so it fits.
                      I agree with you on no DH on a blonde though

Comment

Started this one now.. Currently mashing. But I didn't notice the bag slip in so have grain in the kettle. That'll teach me to forget something as rudimentary as pegs.

Hope it's not too much and they don't get stuck on the element during the boil.

Can I pour it through a sieve into my bucket and then back into the urn to boil?

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                          But I didn't notice the bag slip in so have grain in the kettle. That'll teach me to forget something as rudimentary as pegs.
                          Go to Build-It or any hardware store for that matter - they have small plastic clamps - and are moer cheap .. R12 for pack of 2 - supposedly used for woodwork jobbies or something like that and have a very strong grip. Get them. Also get some of the bigger ones - they are R25 for pack of 2 - good for holding hoses etc in place.

EDIT: 20201228_183057.jpg

Also, the orange jaws unclip, and the whole thing can be taken apart quite easily... thus easy to sanitise and keep clean.

Can I pour it through a sieve into my bucket and then back into the urn to boil?
                          yes.
                          AlexBrew
                          Last edited by AlexBrew; 28 December 2020, 18:43.

Comment

Thanks.. Rolling boil just started after taking out about a cup of grain.

Prolly saved a burnt batch.

Comment

Smelt good all the way through. Hit all my gravity numbers spot on. Woop woop.

Comment

Working...
                              X