SAB clones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
    See, that I can respect. It's how I feel about your sour beers, like gose and all those styles infected with brett or lacto.
    must be someone else, i dislike sab, sour, salty, coriander and banana anything in beer. i'm not a purist either...just grumpy.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
      must be someone else, i dislike sab, sour, salty, coriander and banana anything in beer. i'm not a purist either...just grumpy.
      Oh I didn't mean your sour beers as in "yours" specifically, More like "the sour beers you can find out there".

And I'm fully clued up about the grump. That's fine.

Comment

well we poked AlexBrews thread to bits, I'm looking forward to his feedback on his brew and beer. Not for the 'told you so' but for the 'it's better than sab in every imaginable way and i can't get my beer to taste like chemicals and sadness'

Comment

You are grumpy... But quite funny.
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
            well we poked AlexBrews thread to bits, I'm looking forward to his feedback on his brew and beer. Not for the 'told you so' but for the 'it's better than sab in every imaginable way and i can't get my beer to taste like chemicals and sadness'
            I need to get Vienna malt and a packet of S23, then I'll continue with this brew.
            I've got some blonde's on my mind currently - bought the ingredients beginning of this month already.
            Sure it'll be better than it's sab counterpart - it will be made with lots of tlc..

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              I've been formulating an SAB clone in my mind as well, because I have friends who love it. Amstel is a bit different, but let's stick to Castle Lite for now.

They use malt, corn sugar (dextrose) and rice in the recipe. The combination of rice and dextrose boosts the ABV without boosting the mouthfeel and texture of the beer, which is why it's often described as "watery".

The main reason I haven't done it myself is because you need to cook the rice beforehand, and it's apparently a thing. See you need to "gelatinize" all grains before you can mash them. Malted barley, luckily, gelatinizes at around mash temp, so it happens "automatically". Whenever you add stuff like rice or corn though, it'll also happen at mash temps, but VERY slowly, so it's recommended to cook it beforehand.

So I did a corn cook before. Yes, it smells amazing. But it's a damn nightmare. Because once cooked, it draws up so much fluid that you end up with a tiny yield and and and. I think making a beer with some rice sounds a lot nicer.

Anyway, also keep in mind the IBU should be very low. Like 8~12 in a Castle Lite clone. There's not a lot of hops in there at all.

It also seems like this recipe might be worth trying: https://www.wortsandall.co.za/showth...ll=1#post15217

I'd just swap out the flaked maize's gravity contribution with corn sugar or syrup. Maybe that's what I should attempt next...
              I watched a video on Youtube recently where a guy did three tests with rice.
              1st was rice in cold water being soaked.
              2nd was rice in warm water being soaked.
              3rd was cooked rice in a rice cooker.

Result was that the rice in warm water had the same end result as the cooked rice, the cold water was only just behind the other two.

Comment

I googled the subject of adding rice to the mash...
                They say it need to be cooked before hand so it can absorb the water and then added to the malt mash. If using raw rice milled or not, it sucks up too much of the mash water that contans the flavours of the malt/grain, leaving the resulting wort with even less flavour. IMO soaking the rice in cold water will take too long for the rice to absorb the water, so boiling it and letting it stand for a while so it can soak up as much water makes sense to me. Pre-boiled white rice is recommended..

Comment

Image1.jpg
                  Doing the Castle Lite clone tomorrow.
                  I'm aiming bit higher OG than previously suggested (1.032) such that the abv is round 4%.
                  Also I didn't have the SAB Blend hops, so substituted it with appropriate proportions of SStar, SPassion and SDawn.
                  Saflager S-23 starter going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3029[/ATTACH]
                    Doing the Castle Lite clone tomorrow.
                    I'm aiming bit higher OG than previously suggested (1.032) such that the abv is round 4%.
                    Also I didn't have the SAB Blend hops, so substituted it with appropriate proportions of SStar, SPassion and SDawn.
                    Saflager S-23 starter going strong.

I'm really interested to see how this turns out - please keep us updated
                    Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

I think I might actually have those ingredients at home, in correct amounts. Sign me up for that recipe!

EDIT: Although I'm not sure I'll swing the temps that wildly on day 8. I'd rather raise it by 1 to 2 degrees per day until you reach your target temp?

Comment

Originally posted by camsaway View Post
                        Give this a try. It won SouthYeasters Clone comp for Cloning Castle Lite.

BIAB Method

* 67% Viking Pilsner Malt
                        * 20% Weyermann Vienna
                        * 13% Dextrose (added to boil)
                        (by weight, so gravity contribution is quite different)

* 40mins @ 64C
                        * 30mins @ 72C
                        * 10min @ 77C

60min boil

* 30mins, T90 Blend to contribute 12 IBU
                        * 15mins, Africa Queen to contribute 7-8 IBU
                        * 10 mins, Irish Moss

Target OG 1.032

* S-23 SafLager West European Lager
                        * 7 days, starting at 9C with even rise to 12C
                        * 3 days at 20C
                        * Cold Crash to -2C for 1 day
                        * Gelatin Fine at -2C for 1 day

Target FG 1.001

Bottle/Keg for 2.8 vols of CO2
                        This recipe was offered as a good one. Check out the fermenting temps from 12 to 20°C .. wouldn't you recommend it?

Comment

I'm sure the recipe is good, but I'm not sure I'll stress the yeast too much, too fast in a beer that's supposed to be light in flavour. I'd rather raise it slower.

Comment

I tend to agree with you.. from 12 to 20 in a zip could create off-flavours.. but not sure about that.
                            I will crank it up by 2° per day to 16°, then cold crash. .. sound better ?

EDIT: Just read the fermenis S-23 pamflet - recommended fermenting range is 8 - 22°C

Comment

I see you add your DAP to the boil .... the description on some LHBS websites suggest adding it directly to the FV when you pitch ?
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Dextrose not DAP but yes, often added to FV though. I prefer to boil everything, not sure why sugar can't contaminate, but why risk it.

By the point the temp jump happens, you will have finished most fermentation - the low OG and the S-23 yeast eats through it quite quickly even with the 9C start. I regularly do this with lager yeast - no problem (S-23, W34/70, M-84).

Can't wait to hear how it turns out for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X