Blending yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blending yeast

Anybody tried blending different strains of yeast?
    Busy rebuilding ....

No .. but the thought has occurred to me recently.
    In most of my previous pale ale brews I've used US05 and beer are awesome, but lacking some mouthfeel - or rather lacking some substance.. so recently did some brews with VOSS and have found them to have that creamy mouthfeel I'm looking for, but it's a bit overwhelming after a couple - so was looking for something inbetween - but edging more towards US05 than VOSS.

There is another thread/post on this topic from about a week ago. Jigsaw posted a YT video from David Heath where he also talks about this..

EDIT:
    See 'What are you brewing?' thread on 7 January 2021 13:48
    AlexBrew
    Last edited by AlexBrew; 16 January 2021, 18:39.

Comment

Problem is how do you control the proportions?

Let's say you manage to get them 50/50.

If one strain (voss) multiplies faster than the other it will quickly outpace the slower one (S05) and very soon you will have gone from 50/50 to 95/5

This is exactly why we sanitise our equipment and don't sterilise it. Some small amount of bacteria is not a problem as long as the yeast is in greater numbers to overwhelm it and consume the source of food first.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

I have mixed US05 and MJ M44 (US west coast) - (50/50).
        MJ42 (New world strong ale) and MJ44 - (50/50).
        SafAle WB06 and Lallemand Belgain Wit - (50/50).

Beers came out fine.
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

I gave some oslo an a backup ragnarok to a new brewer yesterday. He forgot the instructions and so we'll have some kveik blend after this. You could manipulate the outcome by managing Temps. With a s05 ragnarok mix id ferment at 21 to favor the 05

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

My last ferment was Voss @ 23ºC ... went from 1,047 to 1,010 in 2 days, so even at 21 I think the Kveik will multiply faster than the US05 ?
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Yeah maybe, thats stuff is nuts. You could go grain to glass in 3 days flat if you wanted to

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by atunguyd View Post
                Problem is how do you control the proportions?

Let's say you manage to get them 50/50.

If one strain (voss) multiplies faster than the other it will quickly outpace the slower one (S05) and very soon you will have gone from 50/50 to 95/5

This is exactly why we sanitise our equipment and don't sterilise it. Some small amount of bacteria is not a problem as long as the yeast is in greater numbers to overwhelm it and consume the source of food first.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
                I would suggest that you then don't start of with a 50/50 ration but rather a 20/80 or even less -

I think it something to keep in mind and we should start playing around with it.... you can develop toally new flavour profiles by playing around with the different yeast.
                Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                  I have mixed US05 and MJ M44 (US west coast) - (50/50).
                  MJ42 (New world strong ale) and MJ44 - (50/50).
                  SafAle WB06 and Lallemand Belgain Wit - (50/50).

Beers came out fine.
                  But did it come out different to only pitching one yeast?
                  Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

had great success with 34/70 and us04. iirc 1 pack 34/70 and 0.5 pack us04 - fermented within temp tolerant range for both. olso reminds me quite a bit on how that came out, a bit aley with the crispness in the background. would recommend

Comment

Originally posted by FaanP View Post
                      But did it come out different to only pitching one yeast?

I did not really detect any major difference between the US05, M42 and M44 mixtures, however these yeast have similiar characteristics.
                      However with the SafAle WB06 and Lallemand Belgain Wit mix, the WB06 overpowered the Wit.
                      Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

So I decided to enter the unknown with he weiss I brewed today - 11g Witbier yeast and 5g Verdant IPA yeast .... lets see how it turns out ....
                        Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

With reference to blending yeast post in the Beer pics thread.

Maputo_Brew
                          Maputo_Brew I would imagine that when you pitch Kveik Voss together with Lallamand Belle Saison (at the beginning of fermentation) at a high fermentation temp that the Voss should outperform the Belle Saison ito competition for fermentable sugars early in the fermentation and dominate ester production

Therefore in theory your Voss & Belle Saison blend should have more Voss character (Farmhouse orange pithy taste that it often produces ) vs. the typical Belle Saison spicy peppery typical esters from a POF + yeast that we can expect from Belle Saison

That said Belle Saison is no slouch ito speed of fermentation and performs well at higher temps and might not get outperformed by Lallemand Voss ito ester production. Hence my request for accurate taste descriptors

ps. although its only 1 beer so far I have seen very interesting attenuation results with blending lager yeast 34/70 and S23.

I'm also playing with the idea of blending Voss with some dry Belgian strains, hoping to create a specific ester profile for a specific Belgian beer. (I'm planning to move away from WLP 530 liquid yeast that I have been re-pitching for many years now)
                          Harhm
                          Last edited by Harhm; 21 October 2022, 10:51.
                          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Understood.

Currently the beer have been sitting at 3c for a few days, will let one warm to 8-10 and later on I will try to give my best taste descriptors. All i know is that its way tastier than any Kveik i have ever done

Comment

I get some bits of saison flavor, specially when comparing with the other saisons i've tried.

There is some citrus(may also be from Kveik), some white pepper on front of tongue back of throat, an apple crispiness and i think thats it. Some of it may be from the malt?
                              There is also some bitterness, that i would think its from the hops.

Comment

Working...
                              X