What size urn for 20L brew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size urn for 20L brew?

I have a 16L urn but it doesn’t seem to work for BIAB when you want a 23L ferment volume.

What size is ideal? 30L? Or bigger?

I see urns seem to be measured in their total capacity and not their boil volume.

Hey Mark. 30l is going to be touch and go, right on the edge as grains and water is about the 30l mark. 50l will be much better.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Is it better to go with a concealed element? Logic says concealed element doesn’t need a false bottom.

What 50L urns have concealed elements?

Comment

I use the 50l logic. Its got a concealed element. But is not actually 50l. Closer to 40.
        Works fine though

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

+1

If you are serious about the hobby, get a 50L, then you wont be squeezing to make things fit and get the full batches.

Concealed element still gets hot on the surface. Whether or not you need a false bottom depends if you are gunning the element during the mash or not, which isnt necessary
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I also have a 50l Logic. It holds 45l easily. Element is only 2,500W so I've learned to brew "on a schedule", but it does the job. I brew 40l (into fermenter) batches easily.

Comment

Hi guys. My first post here. Do you mash and also boil in the same urn or do you use a separate pot to boil?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome Chris. Single vessel BIAB here. Mash in urn.
                Boil in urn
                Transfer to fermenter
                Chill overnight
                Pitch yeast and ferment out
                Prime with sugar and bottle or just keg.

Comment

Thank you Jannie. So you I take it you use a grain bag in the urn?

Comment

@Chris S Welcome

Look at This - Basterfield-Urn-Conversion thread at the things the guys do
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Great. Thanks Jigsaw

Comment

Originally posted by Chris S View Post
                        Thank you Jannie. So you I take it you use a grain bag in the urn?

Indeed he does. Voille curtain/netting works great if you want to DIY it.

Comment

I'm thread jacking here sorry. Would like to ask. Doesn't the urn with the element inside burn the wort when boiling?
                          I'm thinking it's much hotter than boiling temp and could burn the sugars.

Comment

Jip i use a voile bag ( thanks brewhaha) im a bit late on the reply. Ive never burned onto the element. Nos sure who it was but he did have his burn, but he uses it during rhe mash. I just let the temp drop. There are many ways to skin this cat. You will find yours.

Comment

I got burned wort if I didn't clean the element between brews. The continuous layering of sugars or whatever on the element caused it to burn once, so now I just wash it after every use. I use a dish sponge and rub it clean between brews. Little effort and there's no burning anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X