Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry hopping with Kveik

Morning

Fermenting a Session IPA with Kveik Ragnarok from LC.

I haven’t dry-hopped with Kveik yet ... can anyone with experience comment on timing?

My previous ferments with this yeast are generally ready for kegging on Day 6. Airlock activity already pretty slow on this one less than 24 hours after closing fermenter. Oh, and I can’t see inside fermenter bucket...

Thanks for any input....

My Amarillo Smash I had fermenting for 3 days (kveik voss) and then dryhopped for a further 5 days before bottling.

Comment

So my research suggests wait till it's done fermenting, cool to 15C and dry hop for 3 days, and then cold crash.

looks like the research is pointing to issues when dry hopping at kveik temps.

A Case for Short And Cool Dry Hopping - Scott Janish

my 2c, I'm trying it now as the last time I dry hopped with Kveik at 25C it smelled great but once it was bottled there was no aroma. Will see how my current batch goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
        So my research suggests wait till it's done fermenting, cool to 15C and dry hop for 3 days, and then cold crash.

looks like the research is pointing to issues when dry hopping at kveik temps.

A Case for Short And Cool Dry Hopping - Scott Janish

my 2c, I'm trying it now as the last time I dry hopped with Kveik at 25C it smelled great but once it was bottled there was no aroma. Will see how my current batch goes.
        Oi vey... I tested the 2nd batch of my kveik/amarillo (early at 6 days in the bottle) and it was really bad. The previous one was green but drinkable at this stage. Could dryhopping at 30C (as opposed to 20C) do this ?

Comment

Thanks both.

Have subsequently read a couple of other pieces on issues with dry hopping at higher temps.

Unfortunately I don’t have the option of cooling fermenter (fridge full of kegs for drinking), which is the reason for the Kveik in the first place. It is not cool down here in the summer!

Perhaps I’ll try just dry hopping in the keg.

Anyone with experience on that?

Comment

Are you not going to cold crash? ... just DH when you do that.

You could even transfer to a keg ... DH(in a bag) and cold crash in the keg at the same time .... then remove the hops and carb
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              Are you not going to cold crash?
              At the moment I don’t have the fridge space to cold crash.

But actually haven’t missed doing it. Most of my recent beers have dropped pretty clear.

Planning on dry hopping in a bag to prevent soup...

Comment

Also found this on Brulosophy which suggests ‘warm’ dry hopping actually had better aromas than cold.

https://brulosophy.com/2016/01/18/dr...iment-results/

Comment

Working...
                X