No announcement yet.

Winter is coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's the thing, imagining a keg filled with condensed-milky-sweet beer is scary enough.

*many* years ago i did some contract work for a large "household-named" dairy place, i ended up in a little town called heilbron. they used to (still?) make condensed milk out there and during some strike the permies went to work in the factory and on the distribution lines. i got a 20l bucket of condensed milk in the office fridge for 'coffee/tea' etc.
    I had so much of the stuff I can't stand it anymore. Weird place, entire town closed over lunch time - everyone buggered off home for lunch. Super friendly people, too friendly I suspected. The guesthouse I stayed in had a spread large enough for a guvmint indaba but just for me. I do remember clocking my golfs speedometer to get the hell out of there. Scary place.

Comment

Ok, so you have a "valid" reason for not liking the stuff ... doesn't mean the rest of us is in the same boat ...
      I think lactose has its place in a few beers
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I must be honest, I have never used Lactose in beer, I might just try it in the White Stout...

Comment

I LOVE lactose in my stouts. If you want body/mouthfeel, lactose is your buddy there. It creates a "wholesome" beer, if that makes sense.

Regarding a winter beer - I'm busy fermenting a Marzen that should hit 6% ABV if the yeast plays it's part. Will be a great winter beer after a few months of lagering.

Comment

I have used lactose a few times and are planning to use it in my next batch....sweet stout. It works for me. Created a recipe for "Easter Egg Stout" Basically chocolate marshmallow stout at 7% abv

Used it in milkshake IPA's too to good effect.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              Ok, so you have a "valid" reason for not liking the stuff ... doesn't mean the rest of us is in the same boat ...
              I think lactose has its place in a few beers
              eh, perhaps valid. the infant milk things stands out. i have to maintain the grump. however, i'd propose to make a small batch of this beer, that way you can gauge the lactose content. afaik its unfermentable, so you could add it post fermentation? i have no experience with lactose, and am speaking out my ass, but if that's possbile, i'd do that. less of a pain to dump a glass vs a keg.

milkshake ipas
              dessert stouts
              not for me

Comment

You can add lactose in secondary ferment. We do that with our Jameson Stout.
                Basically you dissolve lactose in hot water, cover to stop any nasties arriving, and pitch into the fermenter when cool enough.

Lactose is almost mandatory for a sweet stout.

Comment

You can add lactose to the boil end as well, it's what I did with the few stouts I made.

Comment

Originally posted by SykomantiS View Post
                    You can add lactose to the boil end as well, it's what I did with the few stouts I made.
                    that's the traditional method

having done many many stouts using both methods, I have a theory about mono- and disaccharides and how long chain molecules decombine and recombine in a boil (but it remains a theory)

Comment

reminded me of this thread

Comment

Lol! That is freaking hilarious

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3107[/ATTACH]

reminded me of this thread

That the white IPA extract ?

Comment

Looks like like a milk stout to me, but OK.

Comment

Screenshot_15.jpg
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3109[/ATTACH]

LOL...
                                Bottom right is printed: 0.01% ABV

Comment

Working...
                                X