homebrew lacking crispyness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• homebrew lacking crispyness

Controversial topic: What is it, that the commercial brewers do, regarding their crispy-ness to their beers /ciders ?
    Has anyone mixed your hombrew 50/50 with commericial stuff (Amstel/Castle/Lite) beers ? ..
    Mmmmm ... nice?

EDIT: Punctuation added
    AlexBrew
    Last edited by AlexBrew; 17 February 2021, 21:43.

Crispy beer is mostly to do with mashing and yeast.

You want to mash mostly Beta-amylase so 55-65 degrees is perfect to get primarily fermentable sugars.

Then use a yeast that ferments relatively dry, the drier the crispier.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

My understanding is that the water chemistry is whats lacking

I found that adding gypsum made the beers crisp and bright. Adding calcium chloride made the beers full and round. Interestingly, a significant amount of magnesium also survives into the glass and I found it also had a strong flavor component. For me adding magnesium gave dark malts a fuller, more complex flavor. Using Epsom salt as a spike can also be enlightening, especially in Kölsch and dark beers.

https://byo.com/article/shifting-wat...ter-additions/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads...primer.198460/

I follow the last link roughly and it worked quite well for my blonde, it has a nice crispness to it. Is almost champange like.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
        Controversial topic: What is it, that the commercial brewers do, regarding their crispy-ness to their beers /ciders ?
        Has anyone mixed your hombrew 50/50 with commericial stuff (Amstel/Castle/Lite) beers ? ..
        Mmmmm ... nice?

EDIT: Punctuation added
        You and I, LOL, we seem to like the same stuff in beers. Anyway, I've found to get that crispness, you have to mash really low and limit your hop presence, including the IBUs. Under 20 IBUs and mashed around 62°C for 90 minutes and you get a really dry beer.

On a related note, I noticed this stuff in the shop yesterday completely by coincidence: https://brewcraft.co.za/low-carb-dry...3g-176134.html

Apparently breaks down carbs even further, resulting in an even drier beer. The description is: Mangrove Jack's Low Carb Dry Enzyme is used to further break down malt sugars for a drier, lower carb beer. Add sachet up to 23 L (6 US Gal.) of wort at the same time as you pitch your Yeast. This enzyme may extend fermentation time so ensure the specific gravity is stable for 2 days before bottling.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          You and I, LOL, we seem to like the same stuff in beers. Anyway, I've found to get that crispness, you have to mash really low and limit your hop presence, including the IBUs. Under 20 IBUs and mashed around 62°C for 90 minutes and you get a really dry beer.

On a related note, I noticed this stuff in the shop yesterday completely by coincidence: https://brewcraft.co.za/low-carb-dry...3g-176134.html

Apparently breaks down carbs even further, resulting in an even drier beer. The description is: Mangrove Jack's Low Carb Dry Enzyme is used to further break down malt sugars for a drier, lower carb beer. Add sachet up to 23 L (6 US Gal.) of wort at the same time as you pitch your Yeast. This enzyme may extend fermentation time so ensure the specific gravity is stable for 2 days before bottling.
          Thats probably glucoamylase or normal amalyse they use it to make BRUT IPA and and low carb beer. I used to use it to get my dry malt more fermentable but only in the mash. when added to the fermenter gluco will take you all the way to 1.000 so be sure that's what you are looking for , normal amalyse will take you to about 1.01 so will leave some body behind.

Comment

Thanks guys .. will give it a try on my next blonde..
            I have also been using VOSS for my last few brews and although mashing at 65°C it still only finished at 1.013..15 isch.
            My Saison I brewed a while back finished at 1.004 and that still hasn't got that crisp to it.. anyway, will get there someday.

Comment

Yeah I want to give that a shot as well. It seems to be really cheap for what it does, so I think I'll give it a shot sometime. I'm also wondering what benefit that'll give to all-grain distilling runs. Maybe it'll eat through those last 10 points and give some more alcohol as well.

Comment

Working...
              X