No Chill Container Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Chill Container Options

OK.. my borehole ran dry - my conventional immersion chilling option won't work.
    I need to do 'No Chill'. .. and want containers asap. Where in CPT can I buy them? I see at builders Table View they have 25litres water containers with and without taps. Will these do? Hot temps?

EDIT:
    https://www.builders.co.za/Water-Sto...xoCOu8QAvD_BwE

Do I need to let the liquid cool till below 80isch °C before entering hot wort to the containers?
    May there be some dead 'air' space in the top of the container? - say 20litres wort in 25litre container - or MUST the wort fill the entire container?
    coz I brew 45litre batches - I used to chill then add 15litres each to 3x 5gal plastic carboys - or can I still use the ridgit plastic carboys for this purpose?
    Sorry all the questions - I know I can get concise answes here. Thx
    I may be out of borehole water - but don't want to be out of beer.. priorities.
    Sug, now this borehole is another 100k down the drain. Grrr

oof, in a pinch you can add your hot wort to those plastic fermentors with a blow-off tube (i've done it successfully for whiskey wort) remember the hot steam kills, i'd transfer at 100c but i'm no hotcuber/ no chiller by any stretch of the imagination.

as a side note, i have 2x 1000l flowbins that i use (one) for recirculating cold water through my cfc and both stills. it's a cheap alternative that doubles as bogflush water when coct does maintenance or emergencies.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
      as a side note, i have 2x 1000l flowbins that i use (one) for recirculating cold water through my cfc and both stills.
      What pump are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
        oof, in a pinch you can add your hot wort to those plastic fermentors with a blow-off tube (i've done it successfully for whiskey wort) remember the hot steam kills, i'd transfer at 100c but i'm no hotcuber/ no chiller by any stretch of the imagination.
        Ok.. thx. That will work - that's my current setup anyway.
        Wait till next day - do temp check and pitch yeast.
        Sorted. Thx

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
          What pump are you using?
          got it from adendorf, macafrica submersible - under r1k, sure it cavitates with backpressure when i distill, but idc.
          this one
          https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/...-float-switch/

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
            Ok.. thx. That will work - that's my current setup anyway.
            Wait till next day - do temp check and pitch yeast.
            Sorted. Thx

also keep i mind that it'll form a vacuum and suck in the sides of the fv, so if you close it without the tube that's whats going to happen. the blowoff will bubble as the heat/steam escapes. i didn't see an issue with it, but the no chill guys would need to chirp up

Comment

Planning on brew tomorrow.. so I guess the right method will come to light.
              So far I do the ridgit 5gal carboy - blowoff tube so it can vent in sanitser+water. Issue I see is when it cools, it will suck in again (liquid volume shrinkage) - then to monitor that the saniteser don't get sucked up back up the blowtube, onto the wort .. will it?

Comment

I dont think those water canisters you use as fermenters can handle hot wort and i also dont think the shrinking thing is going to work

Go make a turn at that builders and get the cube ... make sure it states HDPE 2 at the bottom.

==================

<> Where in CPT can I buy them? - Plastic places like Plastics for Africa
                I see at builders Table View they have 25litres water containers with and without taps. Will these do? Hot temps? look at bottom for HDPE2 ... then yes if will do

EDIT:
                Do I need to let the liquid cool till below 80isch °C before entering hot wort to the containers? - NO
                May there be some dead 'air' space in the top of the container? - say 20litres wort in 25litre container - or MUST the wort fill the entire container? - Dead space is fine ... mine takes about 27L, but I only fill it with ±21L wort (steam will kill the bugs)
                <>
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Planning on brew tomorrow.. so I guess the right method will come to light.
                  So far I do the ridgit 5gal carboy - blowoff tube so it can vent in sanitser+water. Issue I see is when it cools, it will suck in again (liquid volume shrinkage) - then to monitor that the saniteser don't get sucked up back up the blowtube, onto the wort .. will it?
                  i guess it depends on the length of the tube, you could swop the blow off for a solid lid....at some point of temperature - sorry i'm not super clued up with the process

Comment

Working...
                  X