This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
    So .. this just now did a side by side Duvel Tripel Hop comparison..
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3675[/ATTACH]

My clone's been about 4 wks in the bottle and measures 11.07% abv (incl priming). The original has been in the fridge for about a week now .. and my clone for about 2days. They both showed similar enthusiams getting out the bottle.

Mine is a lot darker.. dunno how the original is so pale though, unless they used more pale adjunts like rice. My grainbill was just plain pilsner alt and sugar .. so theoretically you cant get paler than that..

The original has more of hops aroma than mine - though I dry hopped at 3.33 g/litre .. maybe old hops - or thay have different tricks.

Biggest taste difference is mine has more of a champagne taste. Possibly the yeast... or could that be the diffs between using proper Belgian candi sugar whereas I used plain sucrose.. Possibly next time I'll try the same yeast with a freshy cooked up invent sugar (need to have another bash at this).
    Could also be low level oxidation or slight caramelzation when boiling.

It still looks lekker hoor

Comment

• Ill try and take a better picture today. My NEIPA came out straight orange juice, color came out perfect, just needed to finish fermenting from my pale color. There is still a slight hop burn but the mix of sweet and bitter is perfect for my tastes.

Would recommend, this is only the second beer I ever said this about.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
        Ill try and take a better picture today. My NEIPA came out straight orange juice, color came out perfect, just needed to finish fermenting from my pale color. There is still a slight hop burn but the mix of sweet and bitter is perfect for my tastes.

Would recommend, this is only the second beer I ever said this about.

That looks lekker .. Southern Passion ?

Comment

That looks lekker .. Southern Passion ?
          No azacca, mosiac and citra. It has a nice passion fruit flavour.

Went azacca cos I couldnt find galaxy locally

Next recipe will be cascade, citra and southern passion

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
            No azacca, mosiac and citra. It has a nice passion fruit flavour.

Went azacca cos I couldnt find galaxy locally

Next recipe will be cascade, citra and southern passion

Looks great! Southern passion holds its own quite nicely as a single hop Neipa nice to mess around with the recipe etc at that price point.

Comment

• Check out the head and lasing on this session Pale Ale (3% abv) Cascade and Centennial with US-05 Kegged 4 days ago. Its half of a US-05 vs. Lutra split batch.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
              2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Huh, US-05 vs Lutra. Interesting. What's your take on the Lutra?

Comment

• My Japanese Rice Lager ..
                  23.5% rice addition.
                  Brewed 8/10, Bottled 24/10, OG 1.050 FG 1.009 ABV 5.4% w priming sugar 5.7%
                  Magnum for bittering and Sorachi Ace @10 & 1min
                  Fermented with BY Labs German Lager Yeast.
                  20211102_JRL2.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                    Check out the head and lasing on this session Pale Ale (3% abv) Cascade and Centennial with US-05 Kegged 4 days ago. Its half of a US-05 vs. Lutra split batch.

Nice head. What is your carbonation procedure? Shake and bake?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                      Nice head. What is your carbonation procedure? Shake and bake?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
                      Thanks, nope Im a set and forget guy ;-)

2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                        Huh, US-05 vs Lutra. Interesting. What's your take on the Lutra?
                        Benchmarking against a known performance ie US-05 that we all know very well. Too early for me to give well informed feedback

Comment

• ^ Nice froth .. mind sharing that grainbill ?

Nudge nudge .. wink wink
                          Say no more ..

Comment

^ Nice froth .. mind sharing that grainbill ?

Nudge nudge .. wink wink
                            Say no more ..

Harhm
                            Last edited by Harhm; 3 November 2021, 06:22.

Comment

Benchmarking against a known performance ie US-05 that we all know very well. Too early for me to give well informed feedback

Yes but I'm wondering why specifically choose US-05. I'm aware it's a cleaner ale yeast, but with Lutra aiming to "replace" lager yeasts in the way it does, wouldn't a lager yeast have been a better comparison?

Simply asking because I love your breakdowns, and I'm interested

Comment

Thanks for sharing that recipe..

Comment

Working...
                                X