Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keezer Build

Good Morning All

As I mentioned in my introduction post, I am busy building a keezer. The idea was to have a freezer that would have 2 taps and space for another 2 kegs to condition - yeah that turned out well.

I ended up with a 550l KIC freezer that takes 10 kegs on the floor, leaving the hump open for hops etc.

I decided to do 8 taps with 8 kegs, leaving some space to move the kegs around if needed. I will only be running 2 kegs / taps for now until I have funds to buy the other 6 kegs. The collar will be " cement gray " and the rest of the freezer will be " matt black ".

IMG_20210809_081818.jpg

IMG_20210809_081732.jpg

That looks awesome mate!! Brew pub in the making.

Comment

Go big or go home, nice!

I wanted to drill some holes through a wall to have my taps in our dining room, wife wanted nothing of it.

Comment

That's a serious Keezer! With the Matt black, black board paint could be cool for labeling your taps.

Also you might want to keep your hops a bit colder than keezer temps to avoid degradation.

Comment

Thank Guys. The size was not really the plan but I am not going to complain I just don't know how I am going to keep 8 taps full. I only have space to do 2 x temperature fermentations at a time. Any suggestions?

I have 3 questions that I would like some help with.

1) Beer line length - I will be using the Bevlex 3/16 ID tubing from Kegsolutions. I will be running the temperature at 3'c at 12PSI. Middle of keg to tap is about 50cm. How long should the beer line be for a good foamless pour? I have found anything from 1,5 meter to 4 meters.

2) Probe placement - I will be using an STC for temperature control. Where do I place the probe? I have read anything from against a full keg, hanging in the air, against a full beer bottle or placed between two gel packs.

3) STC settings - Will have it set at 3'c. What swing settings and delayed settings should I use?

Thanx Guys

Comment

ferment under pressure, It doesn't work for everything but should allow you to ferment more things at the same time.

Regarding your questiong
            1) no idea I'm still trying to dial it in
            2) Based on research the best place is against a keg with insulation around it.
            3) I have mine set at:
            3.1) Swing setting 0.3
            3.2) Compressor delay at 10mins. You really shouldn't see it switch on that often it takes a while for the keg thermal mass to change.

Comment

So the collar is done, just need to put the glaze on tomorrow.

IMG_20210811_155351.jpg

Comment

I have a 480L Defy with four taps. Also struggling to keep the kegs full.
                The Defy can switch between Fridge (2°C to 4°C), Chiller (-2°C to 2°C) and Freezer (< -2°C - all the way down to deep freeze temps)
                I set mine to fridge and haven't bothered yet with a controller.

I also use the Bevlex lines. 2m per tap. Not all beer styles will like 12 psi. Stouts for example will most definitely not. Pressure on my stouts and porters are more like 4 - 8 psi. I also have one way JG pushfit valves right up against the ball lock disconnects and those may also take up a psi or two (I think, not 100% sure about pressure drop here).

Comment

One thing - I think I need more beer line. I was told flow control taps don't care for beer line length - but they most definitely do. I get serious foaming on some of my beers with the shorter lines, and it sucks.

Comment

So the keezer is finally done for now. Busy cold crashing said 2 beers that is written on the board. I will put in a gas manifold once I have more kegs down the road. The only thing that I need to fix is, guess what - a gas leak. Finally found where it is leaking. It is on the back of the nut ( stem ) that screws onto the cylinder. I am not a huge fan of the hard plastic O-ring that is on the regulator. See if I can find one of those O-rings that is made of fiberglass or softer plastic.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Comment

really nice build bud. Looks real professional well done

Comment

Originally posted by WorcesterBrew View Post
                        So the keezer is finally done for now. Busy cold crashing said 2 beers that is written on the board. I will put in a gas manifold once I have more kegs down the road. The only thing that I need to fix is, guess what - a gas leak. Finally found where it is leaking. It is on the back of the nut ( stem ) that screws onto the cylinder. I am not a huge fan of the hard plastic O-ring that is on the regulator. See if I can find one of those O-rings that is made of fiberglass or softer plastic.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3523[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3524[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3525[/ATTACH]

Inside looks great.

Who did you get that black beerline from ?
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          Inside looks great.

Who did you get that black beerline from ?
                          Kegsolutions sell it. it's the more expensive one, think it's R60/m but I think it is sourced from either Electrical industries or dispense. one of those places.

Comment

Thanks Guys

Yes I got it from KegSolutions. I just need to try and sort out the leak.

Comment

Originally posted by WorcesterBrew View Post
                              . It is on the back of the nut ( stem ) that screws onto the cylinder. I am not a huge fan of the hard plastic O-ring that is on the regulator. See if I can find one of those O-rings that is made of fiberglass or softer plastic.
                              PTFE plumbing tape........

Comment

Working...
                              X