Litchi brutal fruit clone ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Litchi brutal fruit clone ...

Not to sure if it falls under ciders but it taste brilliant and easy to make. Got 10l brewing:

Busy rebuilding ....

Noob questions here, how will I go about in making a cider? I see commercial ciders contain preservatives (sulphates). Is that a direct consequence of the brewing process or a necessary additive?
    Primary: Bohemian Lager
    Secondary: Bohemian lager/ Ale fusion - Added US-05 to secondary
    Next up: Bohemian Lager
    Then: Bohemian Lager
    And Then: Bohemian Lager
    Conditioning: Chucked Fruit Ale

"What he doth, he doth by rule of Thumb, and not by Art."
    "What's the use of having a mind when you can't change it?"

Comment

Originally posted by Brennen View Post
      Noob questions here, how will I go about in making a cider? I see commercial ciders contain preservatives (sulphates). Is that a direct consequence of the brewing process or a necessary additive?
      Don't think it is necessary and for sure not due to brewing process ....
      Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Most commercial ciders in this country are nothing of the sort. They are made from grapes, and would then normally contain sulfites,
        Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

I see. So there is nothing to worry about then if I want to brew a cider. The sulphate content started to bother me.
          Primary: Bohemian Lager
          Secondary: Bohemian lager/ Ale fusion - Added US-05 to secondary
          Next up: Bohemian Lager
          Then: Bohemian Lager
          And Then: Bohemian Lager
          Conditioning: Chucked Fruit Ale

"What he doth, he doth by rule of Thumb, and not by Art."
          "What's the use of having a mind when you can't change it?"

Comment

Faan I tried that at Chris;s place, could you post the recipe please
            Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you the next best thing, BEER

Comment

No sulphates required

I'm a little late in replying to the question about brewing cider but having made one I thought I would share my experience.

My approach was simple - drive to Elgin armed with two large buckets (pausing only for a quick wine tasting) and get them filled up at a friendly organic farm with unpasteurised apple juice. When I got the juice home I saved about 1.5l of juice which I froze and eventually used as my priming solution. My ingredients were simply apple juice and champagne yeast which I just left to bubble away at about 18 degrees for a couple of months (9 weeks in total to be accurate). A friend of mine went one step further and just let it ferment with whatever wild yeast was already present in the batch. He primed with a standard sugar solution rather than the apple juice.

And so the Elgin8Er (on account of the fact it was from Elgin and about 8%) was born. It definitely benefitted from a long period of bottle conditioning (I've still got some after approaching 2 years and it's crystal clear and perfectly drinkable). It does not remotely resemble Hunters or Savannah or any other commercial SA 'cider' and as such is not to everyone's taste. It is dry as a bone but is very refreshing on a hot day with a couple of blocks of ice in it. It reminds me of the farmhouse scrumpy ciders I used to get every now and then in the UK.

In terms of the two batches the wild yeast yielded very similar results - only difference is that mine carbonated better. Definitely something I would do again, although I would like to find a method for retaining a touch more sweetness to make it a little more user friendly.

So after waffling on I can now answer the original question...sulphates? Nah...

Comment

Working...
              X