Bitterness (IBU): 28
    Mash Profile (Temp and Times): 68.9C. 60 mins
    Boil Time (Minutes): 60
    Primary Ferment (Days and Temp):
    Secondary Ferment (Days & Temp):
    Other Fermentation Notes:
    Tasting Notes:

Detailed Ingredients:

A low ABV beer that I brewed for my birthday.

Considering that it was almost finished in one sitting and the comments from BJCP judges were good, I think it may be a good beer.

Have fun!
    Attached Files

Thanks !!! I have the grains in stock but would have to order the hops I like the Centennial and Cascade combo. The Equinox I will have to sub with Magnum that I need to use.
    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Any chance of getting that in a format non beersmith (or beersmith mobile) user can open?

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Comment

Type: All Grain
        Batch Size: 21.00 l
        Boil Size: 31.93 l
        Boil Time: 60 min
        End of Boil Vol: 28.13 l
        Final Bottling Vol: 18.90 l
        Fermentation: Ale - Keg
        Date: 29 Dec 2016
        Brewer: Atron Seige
        Asst Brewer:
        Equipment: Jaco - Rubbermaid and SS Pot
        Efficiency: 68.00 %
        Est Mash Efficiency: 87.4 %
        Taste Rating: 30.0

Taste Notes: Based on American Pale Ale, Brewing Classic Styles, p 134
        Copied from Just APA
        ABV lowered to less than 4, as opposed to the recipe's 6.

1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
        3.40 kg SAB Pale Malt (4.4 EBC) Grain 2 84.8 %
        0.23 kg Caraamber (Weyermann) (70.9 EBC) Grain 3 5.7 %
        0.23 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 4 5.7 %
        0.15 kg Wheat (BestMälz) (4.5 EBC) Grain 5 3.7 %
        13.00 g Equinox (HBC 366) [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 23.7 IBUs
        1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
        12.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 1.6 IBUs
        11.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 2.7 IBUs
        18.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
        15.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
        1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12 -
        Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.040 SG
        Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
        Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.8 %
        Bitterness: 28.0 IBUs
        Est Color: 9.5 EBC
        Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
        Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
        Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
        Calories: 427.1 kcal/l

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Full Body
        Sparge Water: 25.48 l
        Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C
        Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE
        Est Mash PH: 5.66
        Measured Mash PH: 5.20

Total Grain Weight: 4.01 kg
        Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
        Tun Temperature: 22.2 C
        Target Mash PH: 5.20
        Mash Acid Addition:
        Sparge Acid Addition:

Mash In Add 13.26 l of water at 77.0 C 68.9 C 60 min
        Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 25.48l) of 75.6 C water
        Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Keg
        Pressure/Weight: 12.54 PSI
        Keg/Bottling Temperature: 7.2 C
        Fermentation: Ale - Keg
        Fermenter:

Volumes of CO2: 2.3
        Carbonation Est: Keg with 12.54 PSI
        Carbonation (from Meas Vol): Keg with 12.54 PSI
        Age for: 7.00 days
        Storage Temperature: 8.0 C

Notes

Created with BeerSmith
        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll try it with some Beersluts tweaks............ but I like the wheat and it looks like a decent recipe.

What are you brewing for the SBF?

Comment

Low ABV APA (updated)

LowABVAPA.pdfThe upgraded recipe. We are having internet issues, so I only have the PDF available for now.

According to @RobCass the beer is good

Comment

I'm curious why you lose so much wort from post boil to keg, more than 9 liters.

My post boil is normally 22 - 23 liters, tilt the brew kettle and close the valve just before egg soup / hops gets close to valve. Left over about 1.5 - 2 liters and with careful racking from fermenter I lose another 2 liters there. So 18-19 liters into keg, or just below gas dip tube in keg.

Comment

Originally posted by jay95 View Post
                  I'm curious why you lose so much wort from post boil to keg, more than 9 liters.

My post boil is normally 22 - 23 liters, tilt the brew kettle and close the valve just before egg soup / hops gets close to valve. Left over about 1.5 - 2 liters and with careful racking from fermenter I lose another 2 liters there. So 18-19 liters into keg, or just below gas dip tube in keg.
                  You are right, those numbers seem weird. Unfortunately I do not have access to BeerSmith from the office, so I can't tell you what my losses are.

Comment

We lose about 5L per 25L batch due to yeast trub, but we generally over-pitch a bit as I don't like stressing our yeast.
                    Losing almost 10L doesn't look right.

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
                      You are right, those numbers seem weird. Unfortunately I do not have access to BeerSmith from the office, so I can't tell you what my losses are.
                      I've installed beersmith on my home and work computer. Key works.

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
                        I've installed beersmith on my home and work computer. Key works.
                        Having it installed on various devices does not mean that you have access to your recipes

I have tried pointing the folder to an online store (Dropbox/google docs), but I only managed to corrupt a lot of data. I do not save all my recipes online at the moment.

Comment

I like the Cascade and Citra combination in version 2 a bit more than Cascade and Centinnial, Im thinking about a Cascade and Amarillo version, then again Im 90% sure that Im going to brew it as is with African Queen and Southern Passion for the next round.
                          Would you consider dryhopping it? If you dont mind sharing, what was your thinking behind the grain change?

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk
                          Harhm
                          Last edited by Harhm; 24 May 2017, 08:38.

Comment

I copied this from a different tread
                            (I finished my latest keg of the LAAPA (the new name! ) and connected a more "traditional" APA. Both beer used similar hops, but I noticed a flaw in both beers: The hops is not "American" enough. I want citrus and pine and resin, but I am getting tropical fruit. Almost as if someone sold me wrong hops. Considering the cost of the imported hops, I am not happy. But as I buy my hops from almost everywhere, I have no idea who to contact. I will just be a bit more careful going forward, making sure that I get the right hops.)

I agree that the original hops might be too tropical (unless its what you were aiming for, if so Ill then still go for J17 and S.passion ) so changing the v.1 Cascade and Centennial to v.2 Cascade and Citra may not be the direction to go.

For a more citrus and pine and resin maybe keep Cascade and pair it with Chinook or Simcoe? I see another double batch coming up on this one

Comment

Busy with my first hoppy beer. Was pointed to this recipe a bit late. SG of 1.045 and IBU of 30 - Mostly pilsner malt, some aromatic and very small amounts of crystal and Carafa II for colour. Yeast should finish with sugars by this weekend, then I'll dry-hop. Slightly worried that I mashed too low at 66 and that the bitterness will be a bit over powering on what is a relatively low OG and mostly just base malt. For the second cube, I think I'll try go with US-04 rather than the trusty old US-05. Hoping it will leave me with a bit more backbone in the end to support the bitterness. The higher mash temp is a known method of brewing session beers, I just need to kick habits out of my brew day a little...

Comment

Working...
                              X