BIAB max size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIAB max size

I have never done BIAB only the normal thing with lots of pots, mash tuns etc. I am thinking of scaling up my system to brew about 100 lit batches. I figure it takes a bit longer to do a double or four times the size system certainly not double or 4X longer. I currently do a 50lit batch, it's as quick as a 25 lit. So do you think it is possible to use BIAB for such a large system? I was thinking maybe of using 4 or five bags (one being too big and heavy and may tear - not to mention lifting it!). Do you think the grain in the middle would get too compressed and not extract properly? How big can one go with a BIAB system.
    I spent 90% of my money on brewing and drinking beer and the other 10% I wasted

I think your efficiency may go down the tubes, and temperature control will become an issue unless you have recirculating pumps.

Also for 100l output you're going to need minimum 180 litre vessel
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

I do a 50L BIAB mash /44L batch in a 100L vessel.

You can get away with a 75L vessel.

You need a rope and pulley for the bag, it is effing heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonB View Post
        I think your efficiency may go down the tubes, and temperature control will become an issue unless you have recirculating pumps.

Also for 100l output you're going to need minimum 180 litre vessel
        I plan to recirculate and will make a large '170 to 200 lit pot'. I plan to layer it by stacking two stainless steel washing machine drums on top of each other. They seem a perfect size with loads of holes, I will put a bag inside each one. They are 460mm wide, my pot is 500mm. They are 270mm deep so the max grain depth in each 'bag' will be 270mm. I can split the recirculation between the two layers to help minimise channelling. Do you think that will worK? I will use a pulley to lift the two drums at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
          I plan to recirculate and will make a large '170 to 200 lit pot'. I plan to layer it by stacking two stainless steel washing machine drums on top of each other. They seem a perfect size with loads of holes, I will put a bag inside each one. They are 460mm wide, my pot is 500mm. They are 270mm deep so the max grain depth in each 'bag' will be 270mm. I can split the recirculation between the two layers to help minimise channelling. Do you think that will worK? I will use a pulley to lift the two drums at the end.
          The issue I can see is the gap between the pot and the washing machine drums. That 40mm is huge - you will need to find a way to reduce the gap all the way through the height of the pot.
          Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Just get one of these, problem solved

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Bliksem that is nice. BTW who pitches yeast like that?
              Primary: APA
              Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
              Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
              Next up: world domination

Comment

I suppose you get good aeration and rapid mixing of your yeast, which is good. I've always pitched after all my wort is transferred though. Just need to ensure your temp is right.

Comment

Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
                  Bliksem that is nice.
                  Yep just wet my pants.

Comment

Well that caught my attention, what a cool setup. I am thinking of making one of these and ditch the other idea, there seems to be no end of 'clones' on the web. The biggest challenge appears to be getting the mash tube to seal and prevent leaking so the wort is pushed through the grain and not under it. I see they do 500lit models - wow! I will use what I have and try a 100 lit batch size.

Comment

Working...
                    X