Devil's Peak Kings Blockhouse Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
    The origional recipe already has a lot of citra .. but no cascade.. it's got centennial tho.

EDIT:
    This is what I've got so far:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3423[/ATTACH]

That looks great but I wouldn't throw in any extra citra and cascade in there, it looks like it has lots going for it already, turn in to soup if you added anymore hops

I was referring to the southern passion pale ale, I recently made one with Citra, Cascade and Southern Passion gave it a heavy passion fruit taste and aroma. I went a bit heavy with a 50gr southern passion, citra and cascade whirlpool and then did a dry hop with 50gr of each. I also somehow got some heavy biotransformation as it came out as a hazy IPA. If i would do it again I would half everything as I think it went a bit crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
      That looks great but I wouldn't throw in any extra citra and cascade in there, it looks like it has lots going for it already, turn in to soup if you added anymore hops

I was referring to the southern passion pale ale, I recently made one with Citra, Cascade and Southern Passion gave it a heavy passion fruit taste and aroma. I went a bit heavy with a 50gr southern passion, citra and cascade whirlpool and then did a dry hop with 50gr of each. I also somehow got some heavy biotransformation as it came out as a hazy IPA. If i would do it again I would half everything as I think it went a bit crazy.
      Haaa. Ok.. yes will do after this lot. Got Electric Pale Ale (US05) in fermenters and now the Goose Island (S04). Want to do a pilsner next. The Urquell came out beautifull. The Munich Helles (W34/70) I brewed couple months back is only beginning to shine now. Think make a similar to the Urquell but go bit heavy handed with the Saphire hops - Czech style, rather than German style w W34/70.

Comment

The origional recipe already has a lot of citra .. but no cascade.. it's got centennial tho.

EDIT:
        This is what I've got so far:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]3423[/ATTACH]
        Have you brewed this one yet? I have to make a 45l batch of a King's Blockhouse clone and I'd like to have a good starting point. Also aiming for these numbers you have here.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          Have you brewed this one yet? I have to make a 45l batch of a King's Blockhouse clone and I'd like to have a good starting point. Also aiming for these numbers you have here.
          No not yet. I've just bottled the Electric pale ale last week and Goose Island IPA 2 days ago - Thinking of a SAPA next and then this Block House.

Speaking to a non brewing craft beer fanatic buddy of mine he talked about this leechi taste in the Kings Blockhouse.. I cant seem to think where this taste comes from any of the American hops listd in this recipe - this MUST come from a SA hop.. When I'm going to brew this one I'm definitely adding a leechi foreward tasting SA hop in there. .. Where's that chart..

EDIT: Chart found
          SAB Hops - Variety analyses.pdf

EDIT2:
          Mmm can't find leechi
          AlexBrew
          Last edited by AlexBrew; 28 July 2021, 10:57.

Comment

he talked about this leechi taste in the Kings Blockhouse.. I cant seem to think where this taste comes from any of the American hops listd in this recipe
            mmhh, I had another beer that tasted somewhat lychee in 2010, but listed hops were EKG/Cascade/Chinook. There was speculation around whether it included Galaxy also.

This thread mentions a few as well:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...ychees.606835/

Comment

No not yet. I've just bottled the Electric pale ale last week and Goose Island IPA 2 days ago - Thinking of a SAPA next and then this Block House.

Speaking to a non brewing craft beer fanatic buddy of mine he talked about this leechi taste in the Kings Blockhouse.. I cant seem to think where this taste comes from any of the American hops listd in this recipe - this MUST come from a SA hop.. When I'm going to brew this one I'm definitely adding a leechi foreward tasting SA hop in there. .. Where's that chart..

EDIT: Chart found
              [ATTACH]3458[/ATTACH]

EDIT2:
              Mmm can't find leechi
              I can help with that. You are looking for southern star. used in both a whirlpool and a dry hop. don't use for bittering. I made a smash with it and got a massive leechi taste from it.

Comment

I have a recipe for a pale that was dubbed lychee juice after the first beer. Was a cirta ella combo. So i think dependong on the hop timing and the drinkers perception of taste Citra throws lychee

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm also not sure about the Litchi, TBH. S.Tropic perhaps?

Comment

I was thinking adding Souther Star or Passion as they both have a flavour spectrum towards the sweet fruit side. The American hops all favour the citrus side.

Will see. Can only brew and find out.

Comment

Well Blockhouse is squarely an American influenced IPA so yeah, that makes sense.

Comment

I got Litchi from a many a hop through the years.

I think it all depends on the hop schedule and each persons palate ... your friend might taste it, but you not
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          I got Litchi from a many a hop through the years.
                          I think it all depends on the hop schedule and each persons palate ... your friend might taste it, but you not
                          I think I'll buy some and sample for myself..

Which hops combinations do you think will produce 'that' litchi flavour? .. or maybe I should just try the recipe as is and see how it comes out. Bound to be good regardless.

Comment

I think I'll buy some and sample for myself..

Which hops combinations do you think will produce 'that' litchi flavour? .. or maybe I should just try the recipe as is and see how it comes out. Bound to be good regardless.
                            Im not exactly sure ... from what I've read, the Citra should give Litchi within this recipe ... so yea, like you said, try it as is?
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Even says so..

https://www.barthhaas.com/en/hop-varieties/citra

Comment

Huh. That link says Citra is a cross between Mittelfrueh and Tettnang. Doesn't taste like any one of them for shit though.

Comment

Working...
                                X