No announcement yet.

Half grain brew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ended up brewing today. Almost feels like cheating only doing a partial mash. Brewed in my wife's 8l soup pot. 700g grain bill. 2.5l water for the mash. Really liked Langs plan for maintaining a stable mash temp so I was able to keep at 64C for the entire hour. Rinsed the bag with another liter. Boiled for 30min.
    That's when the fun started. Just as the boil started I went looking for our kitchen scale. I'm now convinced we don't own one anymore. So I had to settle for 30ml of hops. I'll measure it out once i find a scale. Dropped the flame out addition since i didn't want to double up on my error. Still it all ended well i think. OG 1046. Pitched the us05 at 21C. Put the fermenter into my 100l bin full of water so that will keep it as stable as possible for me at least.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

The I told you so choir should start rehearsing! Remember on Toxycs thread when I said. I'll stick with US05 since it still gets to 26 here during the day........
      My fermenter has been between 13 and 15C since pitching yesterday[emoji850]
      No bubbles after 24h. I can see a small krausen but nothing to write home about, should I pitch a second packet? Or am I to late already?
      I see on a US thread they ferment as low as 55 F with US05 so that's just south of 13C.

Is this one of those chill out and have a home brew moments?

Comment

i'll stick with it, lag due to colder temps. propagating the yeast takes care of lag imho.

before i had the ferm chamber i bought an aquarium heater, cut off the plug, drilled a hole + grommet through the ferm lid and threaded electrical cord through. worked a treat to keep the heat up, also used in on my first kveik batch to push the heat up to 36c. extra thing to clean and sanitize though...

Comment

Sounds like a plan!

Comment

Bubbles!

Comment

Woot Woot
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Good stuff. Well done
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                  The I told you so choir should start rehearsing! Remember on Toxycs thread when I said. I'll stick with US05 since it still gets to 26 here during the day........
                  My fermenter has been between 13 and 15C since pitching yesterday[emoji850]
                  No bubbles after 24h. I can see a small krausen but nothing to write home about, should I pitch a second packet? Or am I to late already?
                  I see on a US thread they ferment as low as 55 F with US05 so that's just south of 13C.

Is this one of those chill out and have a home brew moments?

I fermented my Mocktoberfest at 14 degrees using US05. It works well! The end result was amazing.

Comment

Great to hear. It's been around 15 16 for the week. Nice and slow bubbling. I was just concerned about the dyctal I know it's not the correct spelling. Google cant even help me fix my bad spelling. So I'm thinking a 2 day rest at the end at 20C. Did you pick up any butterscotch flavor in your mocktober feast?

Comment

Great to hear. It's been around 15 16 for the week. Nice and slow bubbling. I was just concerned about the dyctal I know it's not the correct spelling. Google cant even help me fix my bad spelling. So I'm thinking a 2 day rest at the end at 20C. Did you pick up any butterscotch flavor in your mocktober feast?

Diacetyl :P At least we all know what you mean

Comment

diacetyl > https://byo.com/article/brewing-scie...ling-diacetyl/
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Not at all. I raised the temperature by 4 degrees over 4 days and left it at 18 degrees for one more day just to be sure. I'm not even sure if that's the right way of doing it, but there were absolutely no off flavors in this beer. In fact, it could easily be one of my "cleanest" beers yet, if you know what I mean.

Comment

This is exactly what I thought I'll try with a little aquarium heater like the spook suggested

Comment

This coldish ale is taking its sweet time. Unlike toxyc's warmish lager mine is still churning on at 1 bubble a minute. I moved it to ma north facing garage over the weekend so its sitting pretty at 16 to 17 C and chilling it out. Wanted to bottle on the weekend, or should I just let it sit for a 3rd week? I want it to rest but I don't want autolysis.......

Comment

Your SG shall reveal your plan, bottle or wait. I reckon she's good to go. Airlock activity does not reveal it. I use a fat syringe aka dischem wine thief to suck up the hydrometer sample.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
                                groenspookasem
                                Banned
                                Last edited by groenspookasem; 25 June 2019, 19:08.

Comment

Working...
                                X