Clearout Brews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
    No, I intentionally didnt fine this one because I want/ hoped the lagering would do what lagering does and take care of that (It is still early days in lagering terms though, I admit) I was kind of of the understanding that 'chill haze' was actually the very phenomenon that lagering exploited to clarify the beer? [ie: low temps/low solubility/drop out of suspension]

Might relate to the efficiency as there does seem to be a pattern: Whats your theory on efficiency connection with clarity?
    My theory is totally unfounded, but I think a lower temperature (too low temperature, or too high, for that matter) results in more proteins in the beer and more unfermentable sugars in the beer, resulting in chill haze. That's just my theory though. No idea how true that could be

Comment

Sounds plausible. Lets see how both our brews go. If still low clarity after a long while there is probably something in that.
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Ok so final kegging done tonight.
        IMG_20190814_214916.jpg

IMG_20190814_221301.jpg

Darker than expected but lighter than calculated. Some red glow, but only when held up close to a back light. A bit on the shmeh side. The fruity aromas are not as prominent as they were, and they don't really carry through as flavours. The roast malt slightly overpowers the hoppiness, and the bitterness level is fine but seems to be more from astringent roasted malt than from hop oils.

Not unhappy with it, but it did seem destined to be a lot better. Overall, efficiency improved a bit in this second brew but still not great.

Let's see how this one develops over the next few weeks. Best part is that it's the first time I have had 2 full kegs in the keezer. Time to attach the taps!
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Nicely done on both beers

Chill haze is not caused by low effieciency due to mash temps, increased unfermentable sugars or by low attenuation. If you have lots of proteins in your malt there is increased chance to get chill haze but your Pilsner did not have high protein content from the start. I would suggest that you increase your boil intensity especialy at the start of the boil

Chill haze is caused by the coagulation of proteins and polyphenols at low temperatures. The beer will be clear at room temp and as soon as you cool it down to serving temp the coagulation will occur and the beer will become hazy.
          Most times chill haze will clear over a long time (2 months or even more in the keg) to speed up clearing the haze chill your Pilsner below serving temp, aim for 2C for 2 weeks or untill the haze has dropped out of suspention, bring back up to serving temp and your beer will be crystal clear.

I think a lower temperature (too low temperature, or too high, for that matter) WILL NOT results in more proteins in the beer, resulting in chill haze I would love to mash at a certain temp resulting in more protiens in my beer
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Hey that makes sense, thanks Harhm! I actually could not get the large pot to a good, rolling boil on the gas stove I have, so that might explain why mine is so cloudy as well!

Comment

Nice explanation Harhm

I hardly stress about haze these days and very seldom still do gelatin fining after fermentation. It's usually the hazy beers that taste the best
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Thanks for that Harhm.
                Admittedly I did use my SCR to cut back the boil from its initial aggressive churning to a more gentle rolling boil. Maybe too much.

I have been lagering/ storing the batch for about 1.5 months at ~1 deg, which is why I am quite surprised that it hasnt cleared yet. The only separating of gunk I do in my process is to leave sediment behind when kegging, and also skimming hot break at the start of the boil (not cos I think it does THAT much, just that it looks like something I dont want in my beer)

I think I will take the one filled bottle out to warm up to room temp and that should confirm if it is chill haze or something else. But like Jigsaw, Im not devastated by haze if its a good tasting beer, but there definately merit to the perceived quality of a nice clear beer.
                Langchop
                Last edited by Langchop; 15 August 2019, 12:29.
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

HeHe, yea, mine usually turns clear by itself after 2 weeks but thats also the same time the keg starts to spit foam and its time to add a new hazy batch

Comment

Not too shabby on clarity, being warmed up a bit. The pilsener was actually a lot clearer now even before warning up. The red IPA has a nice red glow and I think will have a nice colour when it clears
                    IMG_20190817_085208.jpg

Pilsener on left, Red IPA on right if it wasn't obvious!
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Looking good ! Must be chill haze you had going on there.

Comment

I had one of my lagers again over the weekend. Well, two. No, three. They're just getting too good to leave alone. And my brother in law wanted to taste. To my surprise, it was pretty clear. Almost crystal, actually. It seems all it needs it just a bit of time.

Comment

cool3.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                            Not too shabby on clarity, being warmed up a bit. The pilsener was actually a lot clearer now even before warning up. The red IPA has a nice red glow and I think will have a nice colour when it clears
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2101[/ATTACH]

Pilsener on left, Red IPA on right if it wasn't obvious!
                            By the way, that red IPA, that's one hell of a good beer. I frigging loved it.

Comment

Thanks man. Hope the lager is good too
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Okay, this again!

Not quite clearout, but any recommendations on what style I can target with ingredients I have?

IMG_20201231_170232.jpg
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X