No announcement yet.

Bulk base malts in JHB - where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maris Otter is notoriously expensive as a base. Why do you want that much? I've found that unless you really use it in a proper English style, or in a SMaSH beer, you lose the flavour of the malt completely in a beer. Even a tiny bit of specialty throws the flavour out, and I'm 99% sure if I brew the same pale ale, for example, with regular pale malt and the same recipe with MO, most people won't be able to pick up the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
      Maris Otter is notoriously expensive as a base. Why do you want that much? I've found that unless you really use it in a proper English style, or in a SMaSH beer, you lose the flavour of the malt completely in a beer. Even a tiny bit of specialty throws the flavour out, and I'm 99% sure if I brew the same pale ale, for example, with regular pale malt and the same recipe with MO, most people won't be able to pick up the difference.
      Want to do a David Heath IPA recipe.
      Maybe I'll buy less then. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post

Agree

I have added a small amount of Melanoidin with Pale Ale as a sub to Maris Otter when doing English beer.
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by Chris S View Post
          Cheapest place to get 25kg of maris otter?
          (25kg Bag) Maris Otter – Finest Pale – Crisp – Let's Brew (letsbrew.co.za)

this is the only place I have found it at, in the last few months. I use it in malt forward brews. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
            (25kg Bag) Maris Otter – Finest Pale – Crisp – Let's Brew (letsbrew.co.za)

this is the only place I have found it at, in the last few months. I use it in malt forward brews. I like it.
            Can order from Africa Hops 565,00 excluding

Comment

Want to do a David Heath IPA recipe.
              Maybe I'll buy less then. Thanks
              Not worth it in that recipe
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                Not worth it in that recipe
                I'll have to try the recipe. [emoji16][emoji106]

Comment

Comment

I personally wouldn't waste money on MO in that recipe

If you want to taste what MO brings to the party, brew a SMaSH Blonde ... yummy

Comment

I personally wouldn't waste money on MO in that recipe [emoji14]

That's why I want to get 25kg [emoji1]
                      Try different things. I have to pay R200 delivery for 1kg or 25kg

Comment

That's why I want to get 25kg [emoji1]
                        Try different things. I have to pay R200 delivery for 1kg or 25kg
                        noted

Comment

I personally wouldn't waste money on MO in that recipe [emoji14]

My best blonde to date. That is the best way to use MO I agree

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                            My best blonde to date. That is the best way to use MO I agree

You guys got a recipe for me?

Comment

I dont even know if you can call this a recipe. It's really simple but good!

Comment

Only whirlpool hops?

Comment

Working...
                                X