Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottle Bombs

Hi Guys,

Some of my bottles exploded. It happened with 2 different brews. One was bottled 4 October and 1 or 2 has exploded now. The other one was bottled first week of November.

Is there any way that I can stop it?

Beer is stored in my garage which is fairly cool as it has a concrete roof.

Oops...sounds like either an infection or over-carbonation.

I had this once, and the only way I could relieve it was to take an opener and slightly lift the cap on each bottle to release the pressure build-up. The beer was still okay afterward as I didn't release too much gas.

Good luck...
    Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

To much priming sugar or your final gravity was still to high?
      Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Originally posted by JSparrow View Post
        Hi Guys,

Some of my bottles exploded. It happened with 2 different brews. One was bottled 4 October and 1 or 2 has exploded now. The other one was bottled first week of November.

Is there any way that I can stop it?

Beer is stored in my garage which is fairly cool as it has a concrete roof.
        How many grams priming sugar per liter did you do?
        What was final gravity on these brews? ... I take it you made sure fermentation was done

Cool one down ... open and see if you can pickup on anything to rule out infection.

Your best bet is to get these in a fridge (preferably in a box for protection) as there will be less chance of bombs if they're colder.

Lastly, be VERY careful ... use gloves and protect your face !!!
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Yes get in fridge ASAP and set the fridge quite cold.
          Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Thanks guys.

I don't have an extra fridge. I will put them in the coolerbox with ice to cool down.

I have drunk some of them. No sign of infection. I think I have added too much priming sugar.

Comment

Once they're in the cooler, throw a towel over and then slightly release pressure on each bottle like Steven suggested

Comment

It is over carbonation. Eish!
                20201230_180403.jpg

Comment

Its Old Years Eve tomorrow night - stick the beers in a fridge, invite some friends and finish the lot. Problem sorted.

You might have bottled before primary fermentation was finished - or added too much priming sugar hence secondary fermentation is still happening. They need to be cooled asap. If no fridge, then coolerbox with ice... ready for tomorrow night ??

EDIT: or not stirred the bottling bucket - so some bottles have more priming sugar concentration than others?
                  AlexBrew
                  Last edited by AlexBrew; 30 December 2020, 19:20.

Comment

20201230_192540.jpg

Some cooled for the weekend. The others I just slightly released pressure by lifting the caps. 2 I lifted too much and had to drink them....

Comment

Originally posted by JSparrow View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]2915[/ATTACH]

Some cooled for the weekend. The others I just slightly released pressure by lifting the caps. 2 I lifted too much and had to drink them....
                      You know you can just recap them if you accidentally remove the cap. Still plenty of CO2 in the beer to repressurise the bottle (like how a coke goes pssst when you reopen it).

I had over carbed beers at one point and needed to release the pressure every night for a week to get them to a decent carbonation level. Just once really does not remove much CO2. (you are probably at 3 volumes of CO2 which in a 440ml bottle is 1.3l)

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

When I lifted the caps they started gushing so I just poured in a glass and finished it.

Comment

20201230_194404.jpg

2 of these I had to drink.

Comment

I would open them all outside when it comes to drink time. Even tho they're ice cold, they might still "gush"

Comment

Careful. CAREFUL. I posted a pic a while back with an overcarbed beer I just moved under my face. I bottled too early. Scar is for life.

Comment

Working...
                              X