No announcement yet.

Newbie - kit beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your beer looks awesome. (I really have to take a weekend off and brew). The hops will mellow with age, some kits are at their best about 6 weeks after bottling in my opinion...
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Originally posted by JBartleman View Post
      1st beer ever (an American Ale )...great feeling must say. Bottled about 2 weeks ago and I couldn't wait anymore. Waiting for the fermentation to finish was difficult enough but it's even harder looking at the beers waiting to mature. A bit bitter now but hoping that it will mellow out with time

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

1st beer ever (an American Ale )...great feeling must say. Bottled about 2 weeks ago and I couldn't wait anymore. Waiting for the fermentation to finish was difficult enough but it's even harder looking at the beers waiting to mature. A bit bitter now but hoping that it will mellow out with time

Well done, thats a good looking beer. Save a few for yourself, they disappear quickly
        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

yup, definitely much nicer the longer it stands

Comment

You're last beer is often one of the nicest, if you don't keg. If you keg the second last beer.
            Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
            Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
              You're last beer is often one of the nicest, if you don't keg. If you keg the second last beer.
              I have the ability to give a friend or family the last full beer before the keg kicks. It sucks!

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
              Primary: APA
              Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
              Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
              Next up: world domination

Comment

Unfortunately I do not have anything to keep temp. constant at this stage, other than perhaps keeping it in the pantry wrapped in newspaper or a blanket. We have a small unused bar fridge that might work, but reading some of the threads it seams I will need to modify the control a bit. Probably get to this at some point in the future. That said however - what is the ideal temp to ferment beer or are all the different types of beers different?
                Hi, I am also new to brewing and just started my first kit brew. The last couple of days has been around 36°c but I managed to keep the temp down to 20°c and even 18°c by wrapping a wet towel around my fermenter and keeping a fan blowing on to it. I know Baberton is just a couple of km's before you reach hell itself. I stayed there for 3 years and know that climate. Maybe this tip helps if you have not upgraded your equipment yet. Cheers

Comment

Not yet...but thanks for the tip. Current stock of beers running low so will need another batch soon. The last lot, I made two brews - a Saison that I thought would handle the warmer temps, but this turned out to be rather 'yuck' and I need to be seriously desperate to drink them. I'll keep for a while to see if it improves, but I reckon I'll toss them unfortunately. The second brew that I kept in a bath (brewed all the bits and left overs) actually turned out great.

Comment

Originally posted by rudolph View Post
                    Hi, I am also new to brewing and just started my first kit brew. The last couple of days has been around 36°c but I managed to keep the temp down to 20°c and even 18°c by wrapping a wet towel around my fermenter and keeping a fan blowing on to it. I know Baberton is just a couple of km's before you reach hell itself. I stayed there for 3 years and know that climate. Maybe this tip helps if you have not upgraded your equipment yet. Cheers
                    I would love to stay in Barberton. Is has got to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. Pitty there is no work for software developers in the lowveld.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok, I believe that bottling time is nearing, my brew gas been fermenting for 9 days now, this morning I checked the gravity, after running about a cup of brew through the tap to clear sediment. This is the first time I checked on progress since I started my brew of 1.048 OG, this morning it was at 1.009 approx @ +_ 21°c Should I add the finings now or take another reading tomorrow? BTW, the beer tastes great already.

Comment

Spell check - *has

Comment

Hello Rudolph, if the SG stays constant for another 2 days you are ready to add the finings.

Comment

Working...
                          X