• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Sounds like you're talking about hydrogen sulfide
    Very interesting read, thanks for sharing JIGSAW

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
      On a side note, what's the acidity of that hard lemon like?
      I was curious about this after you mentioned it. Just checked and the ph is 2.7. Can yeast survive that? Damn

Learning to get myself intoxicated on some nice home brewed beer. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by RudiC View Post
        I was curious about this after you mentioned it. Just checked and the ph is 2.7. Can yeast survive that? Damn

Learning to get myself intoxicated on some nice home brewed beer. Constructive criticism is always welcome.
        That's pretty low. You usually acid wash yeast around 2-2.5 for just an hour or two. I'm sure they aren't very happy at the moment.

Comment

• Ok, so that is then probably where my first issue is.

What is a good pH range for the yeast to be happy? What option do I have to adjust it upwards? I use some Bicarbonate of soda for plants, but I'm sure that won't do the taste any favour.

The EC1118 managed well, it was active for some time. I would imagine each yeast would also differ in pH range?

Comment

Ok, so that is then probably where my first issue is.

What is a good pH range for the yeast to be happy? What option do I have to adjust it upwards? I use some Bicarbonate of soda for plants, but I'm sure that won't do the taste any favour.

The EC1118 managed well, it was active for some time. I would imagine each yeast would also differ in pH range?

Since you're adding this to every post, you should consider adding it as a signature to your profile?

You can get to the signature section by clicking on settings on the top right for the website

1.jpg
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              Since you're adding this to every post, you should consider adding it as a signature to your profile?

You can get to the signature section by clicking on settings on the top right for the website

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2410[/ATTACH]
              What is that you're referring to? Still early for me, sorry

Comment

• Does anyone know of fermentation chamber options that don't require a fridge or freezer?
                Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

• Kveik and a heatpad, would be right pita to chill with a cooling unit though. I'm certain that once the borders open many people will leave the country and sell off their possessions in the process, keep your eyes peeled. I'll be taking mine along for the ride :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Andreas View Post
                    Does anyone know of fermentation chamber options that don't require a fridge or freezer?
                    Swamp coolers, peltier modules or the "ice blocks in the chamber" options are all I can think of. Fridge/freezer is by far the most convenient, easiest to use/adapt and most efficient. Also looks the best and can be used for something else as well. Mine doubles up as a regular fridge for food during my cold crash weeks.

Comment

Ok, so that is then probably where my first issue is.

Yeast are happy around a ph of 4.2-5.5 but will still work lower than that. You can use food grade bicarbonate of soda to up the ph although there are better options and Its pretty effective so start with small amounts. But this will affect the taste as part of a lemons flavour is the acidity so its a bit of a compromise either way.

Comment

• I drink Bicarbonate of soda now and then, it tastes like sea water. Wouldn't like that taste in my drinks really. What are the alternatives?

Comment

• The taste of the bicabonate does not go through to the final product. It is kinda like using it in baking, for most people it is below the taste threshold.
                          Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                          I drink Bicarbonate of soda now and then, it tastes like sea water. Wouldn't like that taste in my drinks really. What are the alternatives?

Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                          Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

I drink Bicarbonate of soda now and then, it tastes like sea water. Wouldn't like that taste in my drinks really. What are the alternatives?

Lemon is a pretty bad buffer so you will probably only need quarter teaspoon or so. Give it a go and see what the effect is.

But it will leave some sodium in there. You will have to see what your local homebrew stocks as there are a few options.

Comment

• Thanks a lot for this valuable information. Then I shall be adding some bicarbonate of soda to my next batch of hard lemon for sure.

I just transferred that batch this morning after Toxxic suggested a cold crash outside then transfer to new vessel.

When would you think it's a good time to add the bicarbonate? Could I dissolve it with the sugar in hot water? Or would it be better to add it afterwards? It doesn't dissolve as easy as sugar

Comment

• If it's not done fermenting, I wouldn't move it off the yeast cake. You're taking out most of the workers who still has to eat through the remaining sugar.

Comment

Working...
                                X