Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    I usually use between 500ml and 1l. It's rather simple, just stir it into the fermenter.
    Baie dankie! Will try it like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• I don't do anything on the stove. I dissolve my sugar in a protein shaker thing with boiling water. About 200ml boiling water for the amount of sugar I'm doing. Weigh out the sugar, dump into shaker, add boiling water to the 300ml mark, stir until it's dissolved and dump it into the fermenter. I then use my brew spoon to mix it up so there are no "sugar spots" and then bottle. For my next brew I think I'm going to rack the beer into a bottling bucket actually, and then bottle from there. I have a bucket, I just need to fit a tap. I'm really tired of bottling that much sediment, specially in my last few bottles, so I want to rack to the bucket prior to bottling.

Comment

• Thanks for advice,
        can I let my brew stand for 15-30min after adding sugar to let sediment drop down before bottling?

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckyhit View Post
          Thanks for advice,
          can I let my brew stand for 15-30min after adding sugar to let sediment drop down before bottling?
          Remember when adding the sugar, fermentation immediately resumes. Because of that, I like to cold crash my beer, add the gelatin and let it stand for quite a while before bottling. It's usually a week that it sits on the gelatin. By then, the layer of sediment in the bottom is pretty solid, and it doesn't get stirred up too much when I mix in the sugar. When I mix it in, I stir gently, usually in a full circle around the outside of the fermenter, and never by "scooping" while stirring. This way fairly little sediment gets stirred up.

But yes, that's the reason I want to rack to a bottling bucket in the future. Then I can mix in the sugar properly and not care about the sediment.

Comment

• I bottle between 2 and 6 beers, or whatever is left over after kegging, this is racked into a jug for ease of pouring. When the bottles are ready, I simply use my handy funnel to dump about a teaspoon of brown sugar into each bottle then use the same funnel to transfer the beer from the jug to the bottles. I'm sure this method might not work well when doing a lot more bottles though. I don't really care too much for the beer I bottled as I stick them in the fridge a week later and then promptly forget about it or give it away.

It might be my imagination, but my bottled beer tastes much dryer than the kegged beer. It's also too carbed for my liking, so a tsp might be too much, but I really dont care enough to measure it out or buy those measured out those sugar spoons. On many occasions I juststick the jug in the fridge and drink the flat green beer in order to not bottle it. I intensely dislike bottling

Caveat: I know jack around bottling, so keep that in mind
            groenspookasem
            Banned
            Last edited by groenspookasem; 23 June 2020, 09:29.

Comment

Thanks for advice,

Simple answer = YES
              ±250ml water should be enough ... i just used pre-boiled water.

https://www.beerlab.co.za/blogs/news...ting-your-beer

---------------------------------------

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              <> For my next brew I think I'm going to rack the beer into a bottling bucket actually, and then bottle from there. I have a bucket, I just need to fit a tap. I'm really tired of bottling that much sediment, specially in my last few bottles, so I want to rack to the bucket prior to bottling.
              By Time
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                Remember when adding the sugar, fermentation immediately resumes. Because of that, I like to cold crash my beer, add the gelatin and let it stand for quite a while before bottling. It's usually a week that it sits on the gelatin. By then, the layer of sediment in the bottom is pretty solid, and it doesn't get stirred up too much when I mix in the sugar. When I mix it in, I stir gently, usually in a full circle around the outside of the fermenter, and never by "scooping" while stirring. This way fairly little sediment gets stirred up.

But yes, that's the reason I want to rack to a bottling bucket in the future. Then I can mix in the sugar properly and not care about the sediment.
                I must invest then in a bottling bucket, sounds like the best way to go.
                How much gelatin do you use,
                Sorry for all these questions but a noob on this, only my second brew.

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                  Simple answer = YES
                  ±250ml water should be enough ... i just used pre-boiled water.

https://www.beerlab.co.za/blogs/news...ting-your-beer

---------------------------------------

By Time
                  Thanks!

Comment

• Is chromed metal safe for homebrewing? I've seen people use round boerewors braai grids to make false bottoms for urns. Looking into these I can't find any stainless steel examples, only chromed... Would this be dangerous somehow? It'll just be used during the mash and removed before boiling...

Comment

By Time
                      Definitely. Lazy has won until now though...

Originally posted by Luckyhit View Post
                      About a teaspoon per batch. I cold crash to as cold as I can get the beer, then add a teaspoon of gelatin to about half a cup of boiling water, stir until dissolved and just pour into the top of the fermenter. Wait a week, and bottle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
                        Is chromed metal safe for homebrewing? I've seen people use round boerewors braai grids to make false bottoms for urns. Looking into these I can't find any stainless steel examples, only chromed... Would this be dangerous somehow? It'll just be used during the mash and removed before boiling...

Grab one of these

https://www.potjieking.com/product/s...el-braai-grid/

Comment

• https://www.banggood.com/304-Stainle...r_warehouse=CN

A more expensive option

Comment

• Great options! Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

I must invest then in a bottling bucket, sounds like the best way to go.
                              Sorry for all these questions but a noob on this, only my second brew.

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Bake Danie jigsaw,

[emoji481]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X