• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditto Toxxyc
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by Treeman View Post
      My second batch of beer is done, the one that stopped fermenting at a high FG, at two weeks.
      My mentors suggested a kg extra malt extract be added and it worked.

At 3 weeks of being bottled, I would swear I created a Guinness, it smells like, tastes like and looks like GUINNESS. Beautiful caramel colored head.
      Is this possible? Was a Pale Ale to start with, became a rescue in the end.
      Next question. I am a old drinker, I can generally tell you how much I have drank by how I feel, with seeing the bottles (joke - for discription).
      I drink two quarts every night and may have 3 if the company is good, I know 2/3 quarts and affect rather well.
      3 of these beers are rather inebriating, surprisingly so, I really had enough sensibly on two quarts as apposed to my usual 3 for the "thats enough for you Dave " feeling.
      What is the alcohol content I could have accidentally reached? - they really are strong.

Lastly 3 of them = a hang over, something I have not had in years. Strong beer or bad stuff in beer?
      I would describe this as a big beer, big in every way, almost too much, almost like too much Oros in your mix, I feel I could add water and it would be better, dilute it a bit.

Can the pro's tell me what happened here?
      i'm no pro, but it depends a bit on your recipe and what your original and final gravity was. iirc a kg of dme would punt your og and abv quite a bit (about 15 points, so a 1.045/ 4,6ABV beer goes to 1.060 / 6.6abv. So if you thumb it, add 2% abv to what you planned

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
        i'm no pro, but it depends a bit on your recipe and what your original and final gravity was. iirc a kg of dme would punt your og and abv quite a bit (about 15 points, so a 1.045/ 4,6ABV beer goes to 1.060 / 6.6abv. So if you thumb it, add 2% abv to what you planned
        I hear you and Toxic,Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post

And no, there's no such thing as "brandy alcohol makes me drunk faster than whisky alcohol" and stuff like that. It's all the same alcohol. Some you just drink faster, more of, or it's all in the mind.
          I did/do believe that too, but actually there was some interesting documentary I saw on Netflix that 'proved' clear spirits (vodka) generally give less hangover symptoms that darker spirits (rum) for some very over my head chemical science reasons.
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
            I did/do believe that too, but actually there was some interesting documentary I saw on Netflix that 'proved' clear spirits (vodka) generally give less hangover symptoms that darker spirits (rum) for some very over my head chemical science reasons.

Nah it's because Vodka was made for ladies to sip on ... they take loooong to get drunk and don't get hangovers ...

Rum is for us men ... we suip like fish and then regret it the next day

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
              Yes factual that is.

Comment

Hangovers, yes. Specially from neutral spirits as they're distilled to shit. Doesn't differ on the drunk though.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                  Nah it's because Vodka was made for ladies to sip on ... they take loooong to get drunk and don't get hangovers ...

Rum is for us men ... we suip like fish and then regret it the next day

[emoji38]
                  Well if ladies sip on a 43% neat vodka and you suup on an 5.5% (50ml diluted with 340ml colddrink) then you'll definitely wake up with a sugar overdose headache :-)

Heads and tails contains a lot of bad stuff, safrican distillers are allowed a certain % of this crap in their end product, fairly large iirc.

Doesn't matter how you cut it, you're in for a headache.
                  If your end product is clean, then you're only dealing with ethanol dehydration

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Exactly. That's why I cut deep in my distillates, and whenever I drink, I make sure to finish the night with a lot of water before bedtime. I can't remember the last time I had a hangover with that recipe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                      Hangovers, yes. Specially from neutral spirits as they're distilled to shit. Doesn't differ on the drunk though.
                      Sorry, yes. I was off on a tangent.
                      But while on a tangent... As a student I had a teetotaller year where I went out with mates and just drank softdrinks, mostly matching them drink for drink. I felt more crap from having 5 cokes than having 5 beers.
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                        Sorry, yes. I was off on a tangent.
                        But while on a tangent... As a student I had a teetotaller year where I went out with mates and just drank softdrinks, mostly matching them drink for drink. I felt more crap from having 5 cokes than having 5 beers.
                        Beer is natural, coke is cr@p

Comment

• I've not distilled myself .. but watched a lot of George's Barley & Hops brewing youtube videos where there are a couple of videos about 'what you need to know about methanol' - basically all fruit based distilates produce a lot of methanol (something to do with the fruit skins) - which as we know is not good for human consumption. Whereas grain and sugar washes don't... or are way less. Therefor vodkas and whiskeys are better than brandys wrt to hangover - same applies to beer and wine/ciders. .. and when it comes to sugar content .. in your body what goes up must come down, usually the next morning you feel the affects.

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                            Just going through this thread again and this caught my eye.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all spirits are clear when distilled, including rum. Aged white rum is filtered clear after aging in barrels to remove everything from what I've seen and read.

Been reading a lot about the different rums from all around the world and find it very interesting how the different regions have their rules about how it must be made and what may or may not be used. Anyway, just wanted give my 2c worth

Comment

• Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                              Just going through this thread again and this caught my eye.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all spirits are clear when distilled, including rum. Aged white rum is filtered clear after aging in barrels to remove everything from what I've seen and read.

Been reading a lot about the different rums from all around the world and find it very interesting how the different regions have their rules about how it must be made and what may or may not be used. Anyway, just wanted give my 2c worth
                              If you distill it, it comes out clear. If it is not clear something went wrong.
                              Colour comes from either wood or fruit or by adding food coloring to the clear distilled alcohol.

Sent from my ART-L29 using Tapatalk
                              Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                              Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

• I had 3 pineapples going begging (started with 10), became obvious we were not going to get them down before they went off.
                                So having a still I I put 1.5 pine apples in each 20 lt bucket and 3.5 Kg suger to help it along. This is now bubbling happily.
                                A bit surprised as I thought I may battle with P/Apple.

Question is, when this lot has fermented, what do I make with it ?

Comment

Working...
                                X