Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought 4 x crates with 750ml bottles from my local bottle store, at R23 per crate.
    Using luke warm water and dish washing liquid removed labels no problem, seem bottles from SAB do not have that sticky glue.
    For tough labels I use a general purpose engine lubricant, cannot remember the make. It seems like any type of general lubricant will work.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• I think you could use just about any oil really. I would try vege oil first before putting industrial muck all over your bottles. Or follow the reinheitsgebot cleaning method and use pure virgin olive oil.
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
        I think you could use just about any oil really. I would try vege oil first before putting industrial muck all over your bottles. Or follow the reinheitsgebot cleaning method and use pure virgin olive oil.
        i cant even afford that for cooking, so there is no way Im cleaning with it
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Do you not find 750ml bottles a bit big? I dont have any 750ml glasses and so end up pouring into two glasses to avoid any sediment getting into the glass. I find it a bit of a hassle and much prefer bottles 500ml and less.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Simple View Post
            Do you not find 750ml bottles a bit big? I dont have any 750ml glasses and so end up pouring into two glasses to avoid any sediment getting into the glass. I find it a bit of a hassle and much prefer bottles 500ml and less.....
            I have over 200 440ml bottles and use them for bottling when making a standard batch size around 21 liters.
            The 750ml bottles I use for experimental batches which is 9 liters or just over. (12 X 750ml = 9 liters)
            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• I got one of these crazy things one christmas (I think its about a litre or more):

001-000430_TRE0.jpg

...turns out, not so crazy. Its a dream come true for when I have a very foamy 440ml bottle and can pour it all one shot and not worry about foaming over the top.

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              i cant even afford that for cooking, so there is no way Im cleaning with it
              I have a virgin olive oil bottle from 1989. I have been decanting sunflower oil into it ever since. No one has noticed yet!
              Langchop
              Last edited by Langchop; 21 August 2019, 15:52.
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Cold crashing my gumballhead I brewed Sunday past, took a final gravity reading after a 3 day dry hop, stable on 1.01. Tastes amazing, highly recommend this spring is here beer!

Fill yer boots...

edit: I used CaraBlonde instead of CaraPils, couldn't be bothered to enter the custom fermentable...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
                groenspookasem
                Banned
                Last edited by groenspookasem; 22 August 2019, 20:03.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                  Cold crashing my gumballhead I brewed Sunday past, took a final gravity reading after a 3 day dry hop, stable on 1.01. Tastes amazing, highly recommend this spring is here beer!

Fill yer boots...

edit: I used CaraBlonde instead of CaraPils, couldn't be bothered to enter the custom fermentable...

What should this be ... shows a weird amount when importing to BS3

Screenshot_4.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    What should this be ... shows a weird amount when importing to BS3

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2123[/ATTACH]
                    I think its 3 days [Dry hop]

Thanks for putting it in a format I can see
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• correct - 3 day dry hop. i exported from GF recipe builder. weird that it imported as a boil. xmls "standards" eh....
                      groenspookasem
                      Banned
                      Last edited by groenspookasem; 23 August 2019, 08:40.

Comment

• Grain to glass in 7 days (okay 8 if you're counting some carbonation) which includes a 3 day dry hop, and 2 day finings. I have to admit that this american wheat is a great success! Effervescent and mighty orangey, lemony, grapefruit. that zings on your tongue a while after a sip. Stranda is a beast! I'll make this again, no doubt about it.

groenspookasem
                        Banned
                        Last edited by groenspookasem; 26 August 2019, 21:19.

Comment

• ^ Looks 'Juicy'

Comment

• I'm doing a Centennial smash this weekend, I need to get rid of the bulk hops I bought. Marris, Munich, Cara gold for the grainbill, bitter with some galena (Centennial bittering is not to my taste) big 5min Centennial addition and half of that for a dry hop. Am replicating my stranda efforts and should be kegging next week. I was going to do a pils but ran out of dme for propogation... Next time...

Do you guys still brew?

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                              I'm doing a Centennial smash this weekend, I need to get rid of the bulk hops I bought. Marris, Munich, Cara gold for the grainbill, bitter with some galena (Centennial bittering is not to my taste) big 5min Centennial addition and half of that for a dry hop. Am replicating my stranda efforts and should be kegging next week. I was going to do a pils but ran out of dme for propogation... Next time...

Do you guys still brew?

Technically not a smash with that grainbill

EDIT: Here is a recipe for a Centennial SMaSH (IPA) that won a comp in the UK back in 2014
                              Screenshot_11.jpg
                              I made it afterwards and it was yum
                              JIGSAW
                              Last edited by JIGSAW; 31 August 2019, 09:47. Reason: added recipe

Comment

• True that, more apa than smash. I do enjoy Munich and some Cara, although Marris is good on its own too.

Thanks for the recipe, I'm a bit over IPA, too strong. Dry hopping this one for that yummy hop kick

Comment

Working...
                                X