Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to hell with lockdown! I have about 30 litres of beer left, another 50 in the fermenter and will brew another batch Blonde Ale next weekend..

7kg SAB Pale
    2kg Pilsner
    500 Caramunich I

50 g Southern Dawn hops @ 30 min
    28 g African Queen hops @ flameout
    Will probably dry hop this one with more AfQueen..

US-05 yeast - my first attempt at washing yeast..

Comment

• Nice to know I'm not the only one brewing up a prohibition storm, by Monday I'll have 80 Litres fermenting 20 liters bottle conditioning and 20 liters ready to drink.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Simply put, one can never have enough beer...

We had a simple Afrikaans saying when we were younger: "Eerder 'n vaatjie te veel as 'n druppel te min"

Comment

• 60 lt Fermenting, enough grain for another 80 and every Saturday is brew day - to hell with prohibition

Comment

• If all works out well I'll be fermenting 2 beers I didn't brew this weekend. Thanks Toxyc! I've got to say so far I'm loving this mail order wort.

Comment

• My sugarwash dropped from 1.092 pitched yeast Sunday to 1.02 (last night) Happy with that
              Rum wash has been going for 3 weeks, so should be done - need to check
              Pacific crest pilsner should also be done, pitched on Sunday.

Saturday I'm stilling 11.5l of filtered neutral sitting at 30% into a gin...finally. Sunday is brewday - Cali common Anchor steam with a slight twist, smidge of rolled oats for mouthfeel, and then pitch yeast for the Vienna lager Fresh Wort Cube!
              I have a 2l peated whiskey at 80% that needs a spirit run, then to strip the rum and sugarwashes....I need more days in the weekend
              groenspookasem
              Banned
              Last edited by groenspookasem; 19 July 2020, 08:26.

Comment

• Late start today, only mashed in at 7h30 after a loooong day stillin' yesterday, but not without success.

Missus is happy with her 9 bottles of fine gin, 5x hearts, 4x blends and I need replenish my juniper stock.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Just finished today's brew, made a Chocolate Caramel Imperial Stout, OG 1.100, FG should be in the region of 1.030. so about 9.5-10% ABV

Had a lot of fun with this one, almost 12kg of grain for a 20 liter batch, 12 different malts in the wort and added some vanilla pods in the primary.

Thinking of also adding some Jack Daniels Oak Barel Chips towards the end of fermentation.

The wort is a black chocolate syrup.

Using K-97 to get the correct attenuation for what I want from this one.

paul.stevens
                  Last edited by paul.stevens; 19 July 2020, 18:46.

Comment

• That sounds delicious, with what are you hopping it?

I have a dark lord clone that i need to get on, its a 17kg grainbill with some jaggery to push it to
                    1.175 og and 102 ibu, but still fairly balanced with rbr at 0.67

Id need to do multiple reiterated mashes and the wort consistency is supposed to be like motor oil, feeding yeast and nutrients over the course of fermentation.

Needless to say, I haven't scrounged up the courage to attempt it yet.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hops is Magnum for bitterness, Tetnang for aroma and East Kent Golding's for flavour.

RBR is about 5.7

The wort tastes like dark chocolate with coffee and caramel, and has some serious depth and character, really looking forward to this one.

I'll be bottling about half in 1 liter magnum bottles and aging them for at least 6 months, the rest will be bottled in 330ml.

That dark lord clone sounds like a beast, warm motor oil just about describes today's brew so can only imagine how thick a 1.175 will be.

paul.stevens
                      Last edited by paul.stevens; 19 July 2020, 19:56.

Comment

• Got a classic blonde ale in the fermenter now. (Sadly I only have the one fermenter for now. Seriously need to get another) And then grains for a weird blonde after that.

Weird blonde
                        2kg pale
                        1kg vienna
                        1kg pilsner
                        0.4kg carapils

20g cascade @60
                        20g cascade @30
                        10g cascade @ 5

Re-use the us-05 from the current batch.
                        There once was a man from Nantucket.
                        Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
                        He put the wort into there,
                        to cut down on the air.
                        Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Comment

• Not gonna be a blonde with that Vienna added. Colour will be too dark. More like a kind of pale ale. Would be nice to see what the Pils and the Vienna do to each other. They're kinda opposite on the flavour spectrum for me. Both great, and I think they'll do well together.

Comment

• Just a quick look at the hop amount and duration might fit nicely as a pale ale.
                            But tbh. I ALWAYS dry hop a pale ale

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                              Not gonna be a blonde with that Vienna added. Colour will be too dark. More like a kind of pale ale. Would be nice to see what the Pils and the Vienna do to each other. They're kinda opposite on the flavour spectrum for me. Both great, and I think they'll do well together.
                              I don't agree ?

Not all makes of Vienna is dark. You get Vienna (like Avangard) that's the same colour as their Pale

...and the lighter pilsner malt will keep the grist on a lighter side. .... Even a full Plis + Vienna will also work

A nice biscuity Blonde Ale

EDIT:

Looks fine my side...
                              Screenshot_6.jpg
                              JIGSAW
                              Last edited by JIGSAW; 20 July 2020, 13:34. Reason: Added Recipe
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• color difference between pale ale and vienna malt is near negligible ~8.5 vs ~5.5 ebc and pils clocking in at ~3.2 *beerguevara stock* anyway the recipe looks good, cascade is tasty ! pale/pils/vienna is all base malts anyway and the 10% cara will impart enough sweetness.
                                More fermenters...it's a slippery slope...

Comment

Working...
                                X