This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
    Brewing Sat and Sun. Blonde Ale on Sat and probably another hoppy APA on Sunday, I want to attempt my first yeast re-usage
    I do this all the time now. I've bought the SafAle and Saflager sachets and in the beginning was using a new packet for every brew .. then started experimenting (after watching many youtube videos on how to do this) and it working like a charm everytiime .. my leftover yeast porridge I filter the yeast out more or less selectively and repitch - else I'll keep it in the fridge an d make a MDE starter for the next batch.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
      I do this all the time now. I've bought the SafAle and Saflager sachets and in the beginning was using a new packet for every brew .. then started experimenting (after watching many youtube videos on how to do this) and it working like a charm everytiime .. my leftover yeast porridge I filter the yeast out more or less selectively and repitch - else I'll keep it in the fridge an d make a MDE starter for the next batch.
      I've gathered two batches after bottling this weekend. US-05 and W34/70. A-la Mr @JIGSAW I just dump the whole yeast cake at the bottom into a sanitized Ziplock bag and plop into the fridge. Craigtube has been doing it for years with much success.

Bottled a Pilsner (SMaSH) and an APA this weekend, Brewed a Kolsch-style today. Don't have proper Kolsch yeast so pitching K-97 tomorrow once the cube has cooled

Comment

• Going to attempt a lager with kveik oslo this weekend and bottle the trappist style single, which I had a taste of yesterday, not too bad.

Comment

• Just finished a Pale Ale brew with Patho hops to 45IBU

Avangarde Pale + 10% Carahell + 10% Simpsons Imperial
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Planning an Ale for tomorrow and first reuse of US-05 I harvested on Wednesday.

Pilsen, Vienna (No pale in stock) and Acid malts
            Perle at 60 and Mosaic at flame out

Comment

• Doing a double brewday this w/end. Bitburger and NZ Pils, supposed to have done it last w/end...

Comment

• Scheduled a brewday for tomorrow, about 3 weeks ago. Planning another pilsner. 'Some' of the first attempt were quite good and happy if I get something similar. What I did last time was 2kg pilsner malt, 1.8kg pale malt, 0.7kg carapils (wow, quite a lot) 0.2kg 60L crystal.

I got plenty pilsener, pale and munich but no carapils. Here's what I plan this time, but please give suggestions...
                3kg pilsner malt
                1.2kg pale malt
                0.5kg munich
                maybe 200g or so what malt or oats to bulk it and foam it a bit?

Southern star for most of the bittering at 60 min
                Then only saaz late in the boil for flavour and aroma and some minimal bittering.

~35IBU

W34/70 yeast

Do you dry hop a pilsner?
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• I suppose in theory you could dry hop a Pilsner but it's not what Pilsner is about really

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                    Scheduled a brewday for tomorrow, about 3 weeks ago. Planning another pilsner. 'Some' of the first attempt were quite good and happy if I get something similar. What I did last time was 2kg pilsner malt, 1.8kg pale malt, 0.7kg carapils (wow, quite a lot) 0.2kg 60L crystal.

I got plenty pilsener, pale and munich but no carapils. Here's what I plan this time, but please give suggestions...
                    3kg pilsner malt
                    1.2kg pale malt
                    0.5kg munich
                    maybe 200g or so what malt or oats to bulk it and foam it a bit?

Southern star for most of the bittering at 60 min
                    Then only saaz late in the boil for flavour and aroma and some minimal bittering.

~35IBU

W34/70 yeast

Do you dry hop a pilsner?
                    I'd highly recommend a 100% Pilsner malt grainbill (what malts are you using?) I'ts delicious and you dont need cara in it.
                    My NZ pils has only mittelfruh and pacifica on 35m - nothing else. You can dryhop a pils,but if youre going 100% pils malt, then you have nowhere to hide.

I'm not brewing tomorrow :-( Injured my hand

Comment

• Agreed, I typically do a SMaSH when brewing a Pilsner. Either Mittlefruh or Tettnanger

Comment

• Duly noted thank you. I will use just pilsner malt. I actually think I just added pale last time cos I was using leftovers? Think I will still sneak in some wheat malt for some head retention. Your NZ pilsner sounds interesting to Spook. That may be my first future NZ brew.
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• I've made some very tasty beer using just left over malt and hops in any combination

Comment

• Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                            Planning an Ale for tomorrow and first reuse of US-05 I harvested on Wednesday.

Pilsen, Vienna (No pale in stock) and Acid malts
                            Perle at 60 and Mosaic at flame out
                            Pitched the reclaimed yeast this morning. 3 hours later and there's already activity. Holding thumbs

Comment

• Hmmmm. When that saaz hop you bought from a new 'upspring' HBS actually smells just like southern promise
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Hmm, that doesn't sound right, Southern Promise is basically a type of Fuggles

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X