Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple weeks back someone mentioned Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - it got my attention for the next brew I want to do - possibly this Thursday.. so I consulted professor google and found the origional recipe on the Sierra Nevada website:
    https://sierranevada.com/blog/pale-ale-homebrew-recipe/
    Looking at the hop additions, they claim:
    • Cascade | 0.5 oz. 90 min
    • Cascade | 0.75 oz. 60 min
    • Cascade | 2 oz. 30 min
    • Cascade | 2 oz. 0 min (flame out)

Ok, so I'm not going to boil for 90minutes, to I'll compress it a bit to fit.

Looking further, I see on BYO:
    https://byo.com/recipe/sierra-nevada-pale-ale-clone-2/
    where they have:

Magnum hops (60 min.) 0.5 oz
    Perle hops (60 min.) 0.5 oz.
    Cascade hops (30 min.) 2 oz.
    Cascade hops (0 min.) 2 oz.

BrewersFriend has a similar hopbill than the above.

OK.. then I read this article that Beerholic posted:
    https://byo.com/article/save-hops-post-boil/

and I though, let me ditch all the mid and late additions and do it this way:
    Image1.jpg
    I matched the IBU's but looking at it, looks a bit empty - any thoughts?
    AlexBrew
    Last edited by AlexBrew; 8 December 2020, 10:13.

Comment

• Your thinking aligns closely with my thinking these days, but I tend to favour the one addition at 60 min (or as long as I want to boil for) and then one late one at 5 or 1 minute. I tend to believe the volatiles boil off quite quickly and dont add that much after that.
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Maybe hops in at flameout, then whirlpool for 20minutes or till temp drops to 80 or 70°C, then chill and pitch.

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
        I tend to believe the volatiles boil off quite quickly and dont add that much after that.
        Exactly what that BYO article was all about.
        AlexBrew
        Last edited by AlexBrew; 8 December 2020, 10:53.

Comment

• yeah, i'd do that, you'd find that many people do away with bittering, flavor and even aroma additions and just chuck it all in the whirlpool. i think it started with the neipa rage.
          do keep in mind that adjusting your boil time has an impact to boil off, but it's easy enough to counter.

Comment

• I would keep the original recipe and if you're going to boil for 60min, drop the 14g @90min down to 60 and then make up the IBU's that you loose from doing that with some Magnum hops
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Looking at that original recipe again, the AA must have been as low as 3.8% to come in at 38IBU's for that recipe @ 19L

Just keep that in mind, as the Cascade from my LHBS is sitting at 6.2%, so a lot less is needed

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                Maybe hops in at flameout, then whirlpool for 20minutes or till temp drops to 80 or 70°C, then chill and pitch.

Busted! I didnt click on the link and read the article . But I did now skim through it quickly... interesting read.
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• lol, i also didn't read the byo article, but i guess me earlier post still aligns fairly close to the article, since reading it now...anyway, the difference in the whirlpool ipa vs whirlpool neipa is the dry hopping during active fermentation for neipa, fwiw.

Comment

Not sure what article is being refered to but I did read the article below in this regard.

Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                      Not sure what article is being refered to but I did read the article below in this regard.

Yes, that one. Interesting. Makes sense what they say there.

Comment

Yes, that one. Interesting. Makes sense what they say there.
                        Yeah, I'd like to know the hop oil content breakdown for southern passion is. Anyone with some skinny on it?

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                          Yeah, I'd like to know the hop oil content breakdown for southern passion is. Anyone with some skinny on it?

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

https://www.zahops.com/#za-hops-descriptions

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                            Just keep that in mind, as the Cascade from my LHBS is sitting at 6.2%, so a lot less is needed
                            Good you mention this - I double checked the packaging. My first 50g Cascade was 6.8% - hence logged into my software. Subsequently bough 1kg cascade which listed 8.3% AA. My SNPA composition listed the first purchased hops - had I continued with this false info, I would have ended up with 48IBUs.

Comment

Comment

• cheers, just dumped 60g in for the dh, tbh i'm kinda looking forward to tasting this

Comment

Working...
                                X