X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎
    groenspookasem
    Banned
    Last edited by groenspookasem; 29 March 2021, 11:41.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
      Of course, everyone has a preference. I also dont like Weiss.
      Rory (aegir) made the best dessert stout I had, it was a while (few years) ago, I had a small glass and am still sated.

I also recall having some from devils peak - atrocious, it's not something I'd rush out to try/taste. Darker styles do work well with some sweet/bourbon/vanilla/wintery taste additions
      Haha, there has been terrible ones in SA in the past few years! I would say it is the exception to get a good one locally.

Comment

• Not sure if I should ask here or the random questions thread, but I'll ask here.

Any opinions on Lallemand Nottingham Ale yeast for an American Wheat Ale? Any other/better yeast I should consider?

Comment

groenspookasem
          Banned

Comment

• I'll hopefully be knocking out my IRA before the end of the week. It's one of those I simply can't wait for. I've got a problem though. I need to empty my fermenter, but I want to lager the Marzen in there. However, lagering means I'll have to keep the beer at near-freezing for a while. For that I have to use my fermentation fridge. If I use my fermentation fridge though, I won't have the option of fermenting the IRA on the Marzen's yeast cake, as I need to keep it in the ferm fridge at 9°C.

So now my question - will lagering (or maybe more accurately bulk conditioning) work if I just do it at a bit higher temps, like 9°C for a few weeks? It'll probably be at around 9°C for a week, then stepped up by a degree per day until it hits 13°C where it'll sit up to a total of 2 weeks before cold crashing again down to near freezing.

So essentially - it won't hurt the Marzen if I lager it a bit warmer for a week or two, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by SykomantiS View Post
              Not sure if I should ask here or the random questions thread, but I'll ask here.

Any opinions on Lallemand Nottingham Ale yeast for an American Wheat Ale? Any other/better yeast I should consider?
              The Nottingham spec sheet

LALBREW_PREM_NOTTINGHAM.pdf
              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                I'll hopefully be knocking out my IRA before the end of the week. It's one of those I simply can't wait for. I've got a problem though. I need to empty my fermenter, but I want to lager the Marzen in there. However, lagering means I'll have to keep the beer at near-freezing for a while. For that I have to use my fermentation fridge. If I use my fermentation fridge though, I won't have the option of fermenting the IRA on the Marzen's yeast cake, as I need to keep it in the ferm fridge at 9°C.

So now my question - will lagering (or maybe more accurately bulk conditioning) work if I just do it at a bit higher temps, like 9°C for a few weeks? It'll probably be at around 9°C for a week, then stepped up by a degree per day until it hits 13°C where it'll sit up to a total of 2 weeks before cold crashing again down to near freezing.

So essentially - it won't hurt the Marzen if I lager it a bit warmer for a week or two, right?
                It will be beer. But you cant call it lagering anymore
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                  I'll hopefully be knocking out my IRA before the end of the week. It's one of those I simply can't wait for. I've got a problem though. I need to empty my fermenter, but I want to lager the Marzen in there. However, lagering means I'll have to keep the beer at near-freezing for a while. For that I have to use my fermentation fridge. If I use my fermentation fridge though, I won't have the option of fermenting the IRA on the Marzen's yeast cake, as I need to keep it in the ferm fridge at 9°C.

Lagering at near freezing means that you'll deactivate the yeast such that it drops out of suspension. lagering at 9°C means that the yeast will prob still be active - so you won't be achieving your goal of 'Lagering' .. then there's the question of how long do you want your beer to sit on an aging yeast cake?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                    Lagering at near freezing means that you'll deactivate the yeast such that it drops out of suspension. lagering at 9°C means that the yeast will prob still be active - so you won't be achieving your goal of 'Lagering' .. then there's the question of how long do you want your beer to sit on an aging yeast cake?
                    I don't plan on leaving it on the yeast cake. I'll rack off into a sterile cube to lager in. I've done it a few times before and it works well.

Maybe I should just skip the whole thing and bottle and get it done with. Yeah that seems like the smart thing to do. Screw lagering. This beer is awesome as it is right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                      The Nottingham spec sheet

[ATTACH]3082[/ATTACH]
                      Thanks, I was looking for opinions mostly but that is very helpful.
                      I had no idea it'll ferment down to 10°C, I see it's also a mostly neutral profile.
                      Since I have some on hand, I think I'll chance it, otherwise I'll have to go buy something else.

Comment

• Now that I'm kegging I can't wait to do a NEIPA! Going to be going for this recipe to dip my toes

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebr...ast-ipa-neipa-

What would be the best locally available yeast to substitute the Wyeast - London Ale III 1318 with (unless it is available locally somewhere? I've not been able to find anyone stocking it)? That new Verdant IPA yeast perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
                          Now that I'm kegging I can't wait to do a NEIPA! Going to be going for this recipe to dip my toes

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebr...ast-ipa-neipa-

What would be the best locally available yeast to substitute the Wyeast - London Ale III 1318 with (unless it is available locally somewhere? I've not been able to find anyone stocking it)? That new Verdant IPA yeast perhaps?

The Verdant yeast is London III basically. I had good results with it

Comment

groenspookasem
                            Banned

Comment

• Awesome! Thanks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rikusj View Post

What about Kveik Midtbust? I just kegged a Blonde Ale today and the Midtbust is very fruity, I think it will be perfect for a NEIPA. by the way, this was my last use of Midtbust, it just does not work with Pale Ales/ Blondes - it is waaay too fruity for my taste, but I've always thought of a NEIPA when I used this yeast.
                                Dewald Posthumus
                                Last edited by Dewald Posthumus; 17 February 2021, 13:23.

Comment

Working...
                                X