This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Oh yes, there's another kveik I want to try. Lutra. It just arrived at Cactus Craft, in dry form. Expensive, but seemingly super clean. I think I'll give it a shot in the future.
    Shot, lot of good reviews on it

Comment

Yeah exactly. Find what works and stick with it is what I like as well.

I do believe I'm full of crap, but ey.

Oh yes, there's another kveik I want to try. Lutra. It just arrived at Cactus Craft, in dry form. Expensive, but seemingly super clean. I think I'll give it a shot in the future.

Will wait for your take on it
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Haha it'll probably only be a while before I get around to using it, all my fermenters and stuff are filled right now.

Comment

• No problem, as Im in no rush to change from Oslo yet

Comment

• Specially not at the increased price, but it is a dry yeast which does bode good for shelf life, so there's that.

Comment

• Adding on: I see it's an 11g pack, so similar pitch rates to traditional yeasts, which is great. Means you can pitch into a larger wort volume as well, considering it's a Kveik. They mention cleanest even at 32°C so it's way higher than Oslo.

Think I should give it a shot next month...

Comment

• please post your results in the thread we created a while back for it.

Dry Lutra (wortsandall.co.za)

Glad to see someone brought it in so quick

Comment

• Shot, I knew there was a thread for it on here. I'll post there once I've tested it.

Comment

Shot, I knew there was a thread for it on here. I'll post there once I've tested it.

Will keep an eye out

Eye_Out.jpg

Comment

• Put in an order at Cactus Craft yesterday and grabbed a packet of Lutra.
                      I have a batch in the fermenter now and then another scheduled after that. Third batch will be the Lutra batch.
                      Wondering now if I want to pitch the whole packet and harvest, or make starters first and harvest/use that.

Comment

• Originally posted by SykomantiS View Post
                        Put in an order at Cactus Craft yesterday and grabbed a packet of Lutra.
                        I have a batch in the fermenter now and then another scheduled after that. Third batch will be the Lutra batch.
                        Wondering now if I want to pitch the whole packet and harvest, or make starters first and harvest/use that.
                        always the second one. you reduce your chances of infection, reduce stress on the yeast, and if you believe in genetic drift then you reduce that aswell as you stay closer to gen 1.

Comment

• Just mashed in an Irish Red. Slightly adjusted my malts and mash temp. Currently:

8kg Extra Pale
                          135gr Dextrin
                          250gr Munich Dark
                          400gr Munich Light
                          500gr Rye Malt
                          200g Roast Barley

Mashing at 69°C to get to those unfermentables. This beer is for a client for a wedding.

Comment

• what does the Rye malt add?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                              what does the Rye malt add?

Fullness, rich, spiciness
                              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Yeah a slight spicy note, and it adds a specific note to the body I haven't been able to explain. It also adds a bit of red colour. This is very similar to the recipe I came second in the competition with. I slightly turned up the roasted barley to get a bit more colour (the colour was on the light side) so there's a 10% increase in roasted barley.

I also increased the Light Munich malt about 20%, and the base malts by 10% for a tiny bit more. I also upped the mash temp to get to the unfermentables as mentioned, because the biggest downfall of that beer was, according to the judge, the low body. I agree with him on that point, although I do have to add I don't agree with the lower score I got as a result. I was still perfectly in the acceptable range for the style, so I'm not breaking my head over that score. What I took from it was that my fermentation was on point, but it was a bit light in the body (and with this one I agreed fully).

It's a bummer I won't taste this one myself, but I'll make the same recipe again at the end of the month. Never a bad idea to have some IRA on hand, because I absolutely adore the style. I'll be making mine with either Lutra or Diamond Lager, so we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                                X