Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah mine's straight wall, so I'm not too worried. The only annoyance I have is if the bag catches on the inside where the tap it mounted.

Comment

• I had a bit of a setback - I picked up a 40kg horse feed bag and pulled a muscle in my back that left me strugging to do even the basics of things .. nevermind brewing beer.. anyway much better now and planning my Belgian Double. I wanted to ferment this one with some liquid yeast .. but dude at the shop convinced to try the Lallemand Abbaye dry yeast for the Double as it would suit a better profile for the Double.

From Lallemand Abbaye pamphlet:
      "When fermented at higher temperatures, typical flavors and aromas include tropical, spicy and banana. At lower temperatures, Abbaye produces darker fruit aromas and flavors of raisin, date and fig."

So, I'll be fermenting this at the lower range, then building fermenting temperature up slowly. This will be exactly the flavours I'd be looking for.

BD.jpg

Any comments or advise before I crush grain for this one .. Possibly planning for brew on Wednesday. Waiting for yeast starter to finish up.

Comment

• I brewed a wort for a guy before and he used that same yeast. He fermented it waaaay too hot and his beer turned out decent, but without any of the notes he wanted, so I think you're good on the lower temperatures.

For me, I'm planning a rum wash this week somewhere, just need to pick up the molasses if Ketelkraal gets back to me sometime. After that, I want to do a very clean sugar wash (probably using dextrose) so that I can try and do a hard seltzer (I want to play with this) a bit. If the hard seltzer doesn't work, then I'll just make an R&R using my homemade rum, raspberry flavouring and some red colouring into a keg. I want to see how it'll turn out.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
          Any comments or advise before I crush grain for this one .. Possibly planning for brew on Wednesday. Waiting for yeast starter to finish up.
          Only comment that I have is enjoy it Wish I also got special B, the candi sugar and carabelge did not bring enough of the flavour. Hopefully with age it gets better.

Comment

No advice, brew the bloody beer and enjoy it.
            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

I compared it to my recipe, that I have made a few times, and the following is the only differences between yours and mine.

1. I do half pilsner and marris otter
              2. I add some biscuit
              3. I use dark candi sugar it has different flavor profile from treacle, I also think you are at the extreme upper end of the amount of treacle. Your FG is at the lowest end for the style. You want some malty sweetness to support the flavors you have going here. I generally use between 500-800g for my Belgians.
              4. I add some caramunich 3, but carabelge is a fine substitute.

Are you sure you want to get to 8% with your dubbel? that's at the high end for the style, Most I have seen are about 7-7.5%.

The above is just nit picking the recipe looks awesome as is, I would brew it for your first version and then think of making adjustments.

Comment

• ^
                Can't "Reply w Quote"
                Aww. I don't have Maris Otter .. but have bisquit .. melanoidin.
                Look! lemme find out the flavour of Treacle Sugar .. nuts and all .. if any figs .. at all.
                I'l adjust from there ..

EDIT: I have a problem with colour and PPG.. Can't seem to get low enough on colour without going too much abv
                I would like to have 7.0 - 7.7
                AlexBrew
                Last edited by AlexBrew; 25 October 2021, 20:23.

Comment

• Zeez stuff. Nice and nutty..

R37xx for 750gr.

New resealable bag. .. is that even possible

Comment

• Treacle - rich, slightly burnt, hint of bitterness
                    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

^
                      Can't "Reply w Quote"
                      Aww. I don't have Maris Otter .. but have bisquit .. melanoidin.
                      Look! lemme find out the flavour of Treacle Sugar .. nuts and all .. if any figs .. at all.
                      I'l adjust from there ..

EDIT: I have a problem with colour and PPG.. Can't seem to get low enough on colour without going too much abv
                      I would like to have 7.0 - 7.7
                      I found out the problem with my colour / abv issue.
                      I got the SRM for Treacle sugar from the internet at the start of my Belgian Double investigations and noted 100SRM for colour .. without thinking about it too much at the time. Found out last night that this is wrong - the treacle I looked at was black treacle. Doh. Obviously the sugar I got is of a dark brown colour and noted 30srm for that - which is still dark as black but makes a big difference in the way the software calculates the overall wort/beer colour.
                      Anyway here my latest Double recipe. Complex grainbill. Crushed and mashing as I'm typing this.

Image1.jpg

Comment

I found out the problem with my colour / abv issue.
                        I got the SRM for Treacle sugar from the internet at the start of my Belgian Double investigations and noted 100SRM for colour .. without thinking about it too much at the time. Found out last night that this is wrong - the treacle I looked at was black treacle. Doh. Obviously the sugar I got is of a dark brown colour and noted 30srm for that - which is still dark as black but makes a big difference in the way the software calculates the overall wort/beer colour.
                        Anyway here my latest Double recipe. Complex grainbill. Crushed and mashing as I'm typing this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3671[/ATTACH]
                        Nice it looks good. Dubbels are kitchen sink brews so this should come out nice with age. Good luck

Comment

• Post some pics of your wort when done please

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                            Post some pics of your wort when done please

20211026_BDouble Wort.jpg

My exp PBG is (was) 1.053 - just measured 1.060. 88% mash efficiency.
                            Think I'll add 1x 750 packet sugar - instead of 2 packets. Don't want it too strong
                            Attached Files

Comment

• looks good, 88% is great!

Comment

• Yeah 88% is nice. To me it's even on the upper end of efficiencies. At one stage I pushed 94%, but that was with A LOT of effort. Now I'm REALLY happy getting a consistent 85% without much effort. It takes some time, yes, but that's something I'm fine with.

Comment

Working...
                                X