Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 50 odd brews. I am finally going to give a Marzen/Lager a try for the first time in the next week or so. Wanna also give the pressure fermenter a spin Cannot wait to put a lager on tap!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post
      After 50 odd brews. I am finally going to give a Marzen/Lager a try for the first time in the next week or so. Wanna also give the pressure fermenter a spin Cannot wait to put a lager on tap!
      Grains milled will mash in tomorrow then mash out raise temp to 75 degc for 10 min pull grains and boil saturday, trying to split up brew day and fit more brews in. I read this should be fine but ensure you mash out to stop the enzymes.

Comment

• Looking for 2 recipe recommendations please. Want to do a lager and a IPA.

I asked brewcraft for the ingredients for the verdant IPA, came out to around R800 a batch...

Best lager recipe please?
        Best ipa recipe please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post
          Looking for 2 recipe recommendations please. Want to do a lager and a IPA.

I asked brewcraft for the ingredients for the verdant IPA, came out to around R800 a batch...

Best lager recipe please?
          Best ipa recipe please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          For IPA try this..

http://scottjanish.com/west-coast-ipa-recipe-2/

I have made a lesser hopped version of this and was shannana.
          Think look at the hop schedule .. rather than the maltbill. Think maltbill anything goes..
          AlexBrew
          Last edited by AlexBrew; 26 August 2022, 20:15.

Comment

Grains milled will mash in tomorrow then mash out raise temp to 75 degc for 10 min pull grains and boil saturday, trying to split up brew day and fit more brews in. I read this should be fine but ensure you mash out to stop the enzymes.
            Just decided to finish everything this evening. 3-4 points off OG will add a touch more next time.

Trying out my first lager/Marzen and putting the pressure fermenter to use RAPT pill also in there. Ferm cap was added as I believe that helps with the krausen.

This is straight off the mash (after chilling to 17 degc) so its still settling.

October fest.png

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post

For IPA try this..

http://scottjanish.com/west-coast-ipa-recipe-2/

I have made a lesser hopped version of this and was shannana.
              Think look at the hop schedule .. rather than the maltbill. Think maltbill anything goes..
              +1 on an West Coast (Old School) IPA ... My favourite.
              Columbus + Cascade is also a great combo for this style.
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post

+1 on an West Coast (Old School) IPA ... My favourite.
                Columbus + Cascade is also a great combo for this style.
                Found this .. it's from the ineternet ..

https://learningtohomebrew.com/which...e-ales-stouts/

AlexBrew
                Last edited by AlexBrew; 27 August 2022, 20:02.

Comment

• I'ver currently got a 1.051 og beer in fermenter. Killer Hop grainbill .
                  Same > 5min hops .. adding Sabro/Mosaic + Citra for DH

Comment

Just decided to finish everything this evening. 3-4 points off OG will add a touch more next time.

Trying out my first lager/Marzen and putting the pressure fermenter to use RAPT pill also in there. Ferm cap was added as I believe that helps with the krausen.

This is straight off the mash (after chilling to 17 degc) so its still settling.

October fest.png
                    The diamond lager yeast is tearing through the wort. Loving the live data from the rapt

pf.png

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                      I'ver currently got a 1.051 og beer in fermenter. Killer Hop grainbill .
                      Same > 5min hops .. adding Sabro/Mosaic + Citra for DH
                      Same here.. but again mosiac/galaxy.

Comment

The diamond lager yeast is tearing through the wort. Loving the live data from the rapt

pf.png
                        The fermentation is complete. 2.5 days boom! yeast is cleaning up now will leave it at 18-19deg for the week then lager it. Will reduce pressure from 19psi to 10-11.

FG 1010 ABV 5.1%

pf donr.png

Comment

• If I get the chance will be brewing an India Pale Lager this weekend

Will do a close loop transfer of the Marzen and start lagering that and pitch the new IPL onto that yeast cake

Comment

The fermentation is complete. 2.5 days boom! yeast is cleaning up now will leave it at 18-19deg for the week then lager it. Will reduce pressure from 19psi to 10-11.

FG 1010 ABV 5.1%

pf donr.png
                            Nicely done.
                            Whats your thinking behind dropping the the pressure from 19 to 10 ? I keep the pressure constant and do a closed transver to lagering keg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Harhm
                            Last edited by Harhm; 2 September 2022, 10:28.
                            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                              Nicely done.
                              Whats your thinking behind dropping the the pressure from 19 to 10 ? I keep the pressure constant and do a closed transver to lagering keg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thanks, after transfer takes place then will adjust PSI to correct lager PSI need to double check that thought it was around 10/11 PSI

Kegging and pressure fermenting are all new to me

Raised temp will start cold crashing this evening and pop on gelatin as well. FG dropped one more point to 1009 so 5.22% now

PF update.png
                              Snyper564
                              Last edited by Snyper564; 2 September 2022, 11:52.

Comment

Thanks, after transfer takes place then will adjust PSI to correct lager PSI need to double check that thought it was around 10/11 PSI

Kegging and pressure fermenting are all new to me

Raised temp will start cold crashing this evening and pop on gelatin as well. FG dropped one more point to 1009 so 5.22% now

PF update.png
                                I don't think there is as best practice PSI for lagering but In my mind it makes sense to keep the pressure constant until you settled out the yeast and then transfer the beer off the yeast before you decrease pressure.

Its a WAG but might get off flavor leaching out of yeast cells when you you decrease pressure with lots of yeast still present ? I don't know if the yeast membrane is pliable enough that it might tear or leach out what it just cleaned up at the end of the fermentation. I have always depressurized after I transferred the beer of the yeast cake, cant hurt you beer
                                2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Working...
                                X