Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to experiment with an Oak Aged Baltic Porter this weekend, when I'm not building al's chiller.
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Originally posted by CapeTownBrew View Post
      Thanks Steven, a little thin and not enough Malt Backbone to balance the bitterness. In my opinion! Really good nose though.
      there's two ways you can look at it though. i'm of the opinion that these styles shouldn't be balanced. the hops should take center stage.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by SimonB View Post
      Going to experiment with an Oak Aged Baltic Porter this weekend, when I'm not building al's chiller.
      brewing always comes first

Comment

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
        there's two ways you can look at it though. i'm of the opinion that these styles shouldn't be balanced. the hops should take center stage.
        Which styles would those be?

Comment

Which styles would those be?
          generally your more hop forward styles like american IPA's / BIPA's etc.

Comment

so, if all goes well and i get my new chiller, i think i'll have to brew on sunday.

if i do, i'll probably get a nice saison going.

pretty excited at the prospect; i haven't brewed in months.

Comment

Transferred my Baltic Porter onto French Oak. My first Beer/Oak experiment.

Comment

Transferred my Baltic Porter onto French Oak. My first Beer/Oak experiment.
                just so you know, and please don't take offense to this, but i was super surprised at how good that beer was you gave me yesterday. damn, it went down like a home sick mole! very tasty. reminded me of stellenbrau's alumni ale, even though the style is different. you gotta share the recipe sometime.

back to your baltic porter experiment, how long will you keep it on the oak?

Comment

Glad you liked it.

I'm intending to leave the porter on oak for about two months but I'll check how the flavour develops and pull it as soon as it's ready.

Comment

that long, hey? i don't know much about the technique but i always just assumed it would be more like a couple of weeks or so. interesting.

Comment

Brewing an Irish Red based on the Red-X SMaSH I brewed a few weeks ago, with some refinement.

Comment

Brewed an Irish Stout on Sunday. Bottled Irish Red on Saturday. Nice colour, great red hue. Bottled one of them in a clear glass bottle to see it transform Simon, send a pic of your RED

Comment

Originally posted by hennels View Post
                          Brewed an Irish Stout on Sunday. Bottled Irish Red on Saturday. Nice colour, great red hue. Bottled one of them in a clear glass bottle to see it transform Simon, send a pic of your RED

Comment

Shieeeeet. Hopefully mine comes out as great a looking beer as that!

Comment

last night i bottled a saison spiced with parsley, thyme, sage and rosemary. the long hard wait begins..

today i brewed another saison, this time spiced with sweet orange peel and pink peppercorns. it's already bubbling away...

Comment

Is that a Scarborough Fair ale?

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
                                last night i bottled a saison spiced with parsley, thyme, sage and rosemary. the long hard wait begins..

today i brewed another saison, this time spiced with sweet orange peel and pink peppercorns. it's already bubbling away...

Comment

Working...
                                X