Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ Do you suggest I use a little less? ... I actually have no clue how much is recommended
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
      ^ Do you suggest I use a little less? ... I actually have no clue how much is recommended
      It depends how strong you like your poison, If you serve me the cr@p coffee that you get in a yellow tin can Ill never drink coffee at your house again

100g might work well for a stout but my 1st feeling is that 5 days will be too long contact time, be mindfull of not extracting astringent/tannic bitterness from the coffee, you could also expect to get plenty of smoke flavour.

What I would suggest is to add 2, 4 and 6 grams/litre of whole coffee beans to 3 different bottles of a Stout that you like. Dont bother too much with sanitation I have done it a few times without sanitation, just spray your new caps with a bit of sanitizer, pop off the caps, add the coffee beans, seal the bottles with new caps and let it steep for 24 hours. You can also do a 24 vs 48 hr steep with the g/l that you like.
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Ok, get what you saying. Since I hardly ever buy beer, especially craft, I will not be doing any testing.

I do however love coffee, so will stick to the 100g, but only DH for say 3days ...
        The recipe says Secondary, but it's actually in primary the last couple of days while cold crashing.
        It's a 20L batch so that will put me on 5g/L on a "green" batch of beer.

I got the idea from "BasicBrewing" ... I don't think they mention their batch volume but from what i worked out it's 60g on ± 11L ?
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• 100% I think 5g/L cofee beans DH will be able to stand their ground against the dark malts in your recipe, hopefully without over powering it. Good luck, please keep us posted.

Im trying to get to a point where I can strike a balance between this coffee dryhop method combined with a cacao nib addition in a stout.
          Coffee:Choc:Roast

Ps. My Coffee blond insparation came from this recipe, coffee was a bit overpowering after a 48 hr coffee bean steep.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com...ns-recipe.html

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you will get a lot more bean for your buck than you would expect from a coffee bean steep.
          Harhm
          Last edited by Harhm; 18 July 2017, 11:38.
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Brewing a APA today, doing a 67 minute boil :drunk:
            Harhm
            Last edited by Harhm; 18 July 2017, 11:56.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
              Brewing a APA today, doing a 67 minute boil :drunk:
              That is an awesome idea! [emoji106]

Sent from my GT-P5200 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Haven't brewed for while. Did a normal APA with Zythos hops and WLP001.
                Primary: APA
                Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
                Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
                Next up: world domination

Comment

• Nearly done brewing a Irish red partial extract. Smell very chocolaty. Should change with hop addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• working my way through "brewing classic styles".. premium american lager.

Comment

• Originally posted by that guy al View Post
                      working my way through "brewing classic styles".. premium american lager.
                      Its a great learning experience that I enjoyed a lot.
                      I started by jumping past some styles a bit, I started with the Cream Ale, Blond, Kolsh, APA and the Stout.
                      I then decided to start over at the beginning with the Lagers, although I skipped the Munich Helles I'm now at Schwarzbier.
                      Good luck, enjoy the beer

Comment

• Originally posted by that guy al View Post
                        working my way through "brewing classic styles".. premium american lager.
                        (Mostly to new brewers)
                        I HIGHLY recommend that you do not start at the beginning and work your way through. The American Lagers are technically difficult beers.

In the description of each recipe he states if the beer is an beginner, intermediate or advanced style. Choose beers that are on or below your level first, then try the more difficult ones later.

Comment

• So I brewed a triple decoction pilsner yesterday and whilst busy the water for the area got cut due to a burst pipe....I was forced to do "no chill"

Was a bit of a bummer as it is a very long brew day just to not be able to finish it off properly

Comment

• Originally posted by PearlJam View Post
                            So I brewed a triple decoction pilsner yesterday and whilst busy the water for the area got cut due to a burst pipe....I was forced to do "no chill"

Was a bit of a bummer as it is a very long brew day just to not be able to finish it off properly
                            Ouch! How many hours was your mash?

Comment

• Nothing wrong with a good no-chill, I do it all the time [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
                                Ouch! How many hours was your mash?
                                Quite rough at 3.5 hours, but i decided I will go for it just for the "fun" of it. I am also trying a new yeast that I have not used before Fermentis S-23. Most of the lager style recipes in Brewing Classic Styles they recommend it, but a lot of forums show that people have mixed results with it. I pitched 2 packets rehydrated (followed your tutorial) at 11c

Comment

Working...
                                X