Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
    I think typically about 0.5mm. thin
    So in short. No chance of my bird dropping welding method working without turning it into a sieve

Comment

Game in Kimberley had a special.

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
      If anyone has actually seen the logic urn being available in recent times, please let me know. I was holding out for another special and then I think they go discontinued
      Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
      Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
        So in short. No chance of my bird dropping welding method working without turning it into a sieve
        If I give you a 0.5mm thick round plate, can you weld it into a perforated plate for me Thanks Andreas, looks like Kimberley's got it all going on. I will have to keep looking out for it then, and hoping.
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Thanks for all the responses - the extra wattage in the Caterpride does make sense... Could anyone confirm if the element exposed on the Caterpride? My understanding is that makes it a bit trickier when using a bag and would also stop you from whirlpooling...

Comment

This whole urn idea is so cool. I have been checking that idea out for a bit.

So I found what I thought is a good deal here - https://www.mhcworld.co.za/products/...21415130202201
            Great deal if you're in Pretoria, because they have something similar to Game where they will match any quote and give a further 12% off. Might be worth a look for someone in GP, maybe further even.

Comment

Ironically I was also browsing for a suitable Urn, seeing as you can't buy a large stainless steel boil kettle anywhere (Out of Stock)

Also looked at this https://www.makro.co.za/catering/electrical-equipment/urns/urns/caterpride-50-l-urn-/p/000000000002804425_EA as a start to my more permanent BIAB brewery. I sense modifications in the future as well

Comment

I believe that Basterfield are the manufacturers of caterpride. My mate has ordered direct from basterfield, due to arrive today/wednesday. Will let you know when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by camsaway View Post
                  I believe that Basterfield are the manufacturers of caterpride. My mate has ordered direct from basterfield, due to arrive today/wednesday. Will let you know when I see it.
                  Just had a look on their site, wow. So many things I want. Love the sizes on offer.

There are water boilers as well as urns, some up to 75L.

Also keen on a nice pressure cooker, also a nice selection of sizes.

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Get in you cars boys. It's an in store special. Cant find it online

Comment

I'm still on the fence on these logic urns. The Aussies have a similar model (concealed element, ~2500w, need to disconnect dry-boil sensor to achieve a good rolling boil) and there’s a lot of folks reporting that their elements overheat and eventually pop… heat build-up seems to be a concern given that the element actually submerged in the wort… The price difference between the Logik and a Caterpride would cover all the other bits and bobs needed, so it’s appealing… but I’m just worried "goedkoop koop is duur koop"…

Comment

Well I went all out on goedkoop koop this week. I'm doing my first boil on the urn as I tipe this while waiting for my pump. Ph meter and refractometer from banggood. Still need some tubes and connectors but my urnfather is slowly taking shape. Also got that PID controller

Comment

Comment

Initial feedback on the logic urn. With an ambient temp of 10C it took 1h 20min to boil. Managed to keep it boiling for 10min. But then switched it off to have dinner. I think with some insulation it will boil quicker. The problem I see is that the element looks like it is going to scorch the wort around the base as it has localised boiling all through the heat up. At the element

Comment

Did get a very vigorous boil though

Comment

False bottom will sort that, if you're planning to brew in a bag I've seen people clamping the bag a bit higher to lift off the element. If that fails, its not too difficult to clean scorched stainless

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X