• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busy brewing my weiss. Finished my tap tower

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

^ WoW, that looks cool
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Awesome looking tower man.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks all .... 65 % efficiency with a Weiss - 73% wheat in the grain bill .... I'm feeling better about my build ....
          Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Thats legit.. good going with wheat.. mine suck when I add wheat

Comment

My very first brew was a 15litre Weiss premix from BG. I didn't have a hydrometer at the time (sold out everywhere), but the abv was weak.. thinking 3% at best.
              After that I brewed a couple other brews, got my hydrometer in the mean time and attempted another Weiss.. OG 1.034 .. that was after the boil. I've not tried again since .. but reading you guys mssgs makes me think there's something up with wheat. I see the ppg for Castle Malting wheat blanc is 38 - so one should get good extraction from it.

Comment

My OG is 1060 vs estimate of 1055 (entered my efficiency at 60%).... Im very happy
                Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Well, if I drop my Eff in the software to 60% then I'll also hit my numbers, but the idea is not to drop anything
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    Well, if I drop my Eff in the software to 60% then I'll also hit my numbers, but the idea is not to drop anything
                    My first brew with the new equipment it came in at 45% efficiency - Thats why I'm so impressed. With my next brewday I'll aim for 70%
                    Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                      My very first brew was a 15litre Weiss premix from BG. I didn't have a hydrometer at the time (sold out everywhere), but the abv was weak.. thinking 3% at best.
                      After that I brewed a couple other brews, got my hydrometer in the mean time and attempted another Weiss.. OG 1.034 .. that was after the boil. I've not tried again since .. but reading you guys mssgs makes me think there's something up with wheat. I see the ppg for Castle Malting wheat blanc is 38 - so one should get good extraction from it.
                      few things I've learned from wheat..

1. need to crush way finer that normal malt. It's a hard kernel and smaller than barley
                      2. need a proper mashout. something like 78C for 10minutes, I find this increased my efficiency the most.
                      3. it makes like snot and holds on to the sweet wort, so you need to sparge as well.
                      4. if you go the traditional 3v system then you need rice hulls otherwise your gonna have a bad time.

Helped me with my efficiency but it still sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                        few things I've learned from wheat..

1. need to crush way finer that normal malt. It's a hard kernel and smaller than barley
                        2. need a proper mashout. something like 78C for 10minutes, I find this increased my efficiency the most.
                        3. it makes like snot and holds on to the sweet wort, so you need to sparge as well.
                        4. if you go the traditional 3v system then you need rice hulls otherwise your gonna have a bad time.

Helped me with my efficiency but it still sucks.
                        I didn't know that .. That might explain the poor efficiencies - pre-mix shop milled. Their mill is prob tuned for barley, then come wheat - it's not crushing it fine enough. Makes sense.
                        Again !! if you want to do it properly - do it yourself... with that I mean mill it yourself.

Comment

Arrived this morning. Will start to build my inline carbonator with in the next week or 2

Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

cool is this for pre fermentation? to aerate the wort?

What are you going to use as the source of oxygen?

Comment

It is to carbonate my beer ..... see here:

https://truegrist.ca/2019/01/30/diy-...nation-system/
                              Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Originally posted by FaanP View Post
                                Busy brewing my weiss. Finished my tap tower

I have to redo this - long story involving leaking JG elbows and .....

Hopefully my new design will look even better and work better
                                Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Working...
                                X