X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing Fimbulvetr...

...Meaning "Mighty Winter"

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394095164.492446.jpg

This is a large chiller I am developing for someone who needs to cool his 75l batches. Will post more pics as I go along, but what you see is the inner coil.

In total it will use about 40m of copper tubing. Just the inner used 15m.
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Kewl name....

From Wikipedia...."Fimbulvetr is the harsh winter that precedes the end of the world and puts an end to all life on Earth. Fimbulwinter is three successive winters where snow comes in from all directions, without any intervening summer. During this time, there will be innumerable wars and ties of blood will no longer be respected: the next-of-kin will lie together and brothers will kill brothers."

Simon, for your sake, I hope it doesn't mean brewers are going to be killing each other to get their hands on that monster....
    Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Very impressive love to see it when it's finished. Please put something in the shot to scale it.
      "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

Comment

That is really awesome! Can't wait to see the final product! And a really cool name!
        CapeTownBrew
        Last edited by CapeTownBrew; 7 March 2014, 07:24.
        bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
        Secondary: Apple & Cranberry Wine, Strawberry Wine, Mead,
        Conditioning:
        Bottled/Kegged: Black Ale/BIPA (SYSF)
        Next Up:​ ?Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout?

Comment

Only thing left to do is add the input and output tubing. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394485148.011030.jpg

Sum total of 42.5m of 3/8" tubing.

Grolsch bottle for scale

Comment

Verrry naaaice Simon.

Now tell us your secrets, how do you get it so neat.
            "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

Comment

I can see one of these in my near future.... just wondering if I should rather DIY and not enrich Simon
              Seriously what do you ask for a chiller for a 21l Hart pot
              Cheers

Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by pretorjn View Post
                I can see one of these in my near future.... just wondering if I should rather DIY and not enrich Simon
                Seriously what do you ask for a chiller for a 21l Hart pot
                The chillers for 20-30l pots are available through Beerguevara are about R1100

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                  Verrry naaaice Simon.

Now tell us your secrets, how do you get it so neat.
                  The neatness is what takes the time All the uprights are notched to accept the coil, and it's held together with cable ties while it all gets soldered.

I did a pressure test on Fimblevetr last night and it leaked right at a place I couldn't get a blowtorch in. Was a devil of a job to get it sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonB View Post
                    The chillers for 20-30l pots are available through Beerguevara are about R1100
                    Thanks Simon. I was wandering if that was your handiwork.
                    Cheers

Jacques

Comment

47m copper tube, 211 solder joints and she is done!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394641224.276863.jpg

Comment

47m copper tube, 211 solder joints and she is done![ATTACH]308[/ATTACH]
                        A thing of Beauty!
                        bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
                        Conditioning:

Comment

One of the joints I had to manufacture (a cross-piece) has broken as soon as the gent got it home. It's going to be a real mission to repair 😡

Comment

One of the joints I had to manufacture (a cross-piece) has broken as soon as the gent got it home. It's going to be a real mission to repair 
                            Dude! That sucks!
                            bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
                            Conditioning:

Comment

Not Like. Sorry to hear Simon
                              Cheers

Jacques

Comment

Working...
                              X