Lallemand Kveik Voss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lallemand Kveik Voss

My last brew I pitched US05 and ferm temps went up to 30deg C the first day.. then came down slowly 2deg per day .. it's currently idling on 21. Anyway I'm just worried with the high temperature fermentation and off-flavours and with the summer approaching and me not having a fermentation chamber .. i though getting a packet a Voss is the way to go during this summer.

I'm wanting to do a brew tomorrow using the Voss and thought I'd need to make a starter so that I have enough yeast to pictch 3x 5gal fermenters .. so I went googling...

Found this site:
    https://www.brewingnordic.com/farmho...-fermentation/
    Where it states:
    "one gram of dried kveik for 25 liters. Garshol’s How to brew with kveik gives a rule for farmhouse yeast slurry: one teaspoon of slurry for 25 liters. These are less than one-tenth of today’s rate, and often these rules are applied regardless of gravity also for strong beers."

Is this true?
    So my packet of 11g is plenty. No need to make a starter. Actually I'll have 11-3=8 grams remaining.
    Yes?

Dude i haven't tried dry voss but the liquid is definitely capable of doing 23l on a teaspoon. Especially if you're looking for flavor

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

You didn't get that Lallemand yeast from a Norwegian

Stick to what it says on the packet from the manufacturer ...

0.4g/L AFAIK

(The older packs used to state 0.5 - 1g/L)
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Haha yes .. didn't get it from Ragnar.

I just read in very faint writing 0.5-1 g/l pitching rate..
        Just saw David Heaths video on this and he claims one packet good for 11-22litre - I don't know how his maths works - should be 5.5-11 litres wort.
        Anyway - I think I'll make a starter. Should be good by tomorrow afternoon when the brew is done.
        Another APA..
        AlexBrew
        Last edited by AlexBrew; 17 November 2020, 08:55. Reason: spelling

Comment

I've pitched 1 pack on 20L with now problems (twice so far)

1st pack did 8 brews

2nd pack is doing it's 2nd brew now (36hrs in)

Comment

I also used it on Friday, was around 23L, went crazy and was done yesterday. Also just chucked it in and didn't follow instructions on the packet :P

Comment

How's anyone suppose to 'quickly' read that faint yellow writing..? Gosh, couldn't they have used a different colour?
              20201116_200451.jpg
              So, made a starter last night with 150g DME in 1.2litres water. Boiled it up to sterilise and cooled down to 35 then pitched the dry yeast. 1hr later the blowoff bubbler was playing a tune on the drums, this morning all quiet with a good amount of yeast dropped to the bottom. I'd say good return on investment.

20201117_084526.jpg
              AlexBrew
              Last edited by AlexBrew; 17 November 2020, 13:10. Reason: 2nd attempt - pictures added

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                I also used it on Friday, was around 23L, went crazy and was done yesterday. Also just chucked it in and didn't follow instructions on the packet :P
                Same experience I had, it's just finished it's second brew. Pitched on Sunday morning and I was worried I was going to have the bucket lid shoot off even with a blow off tube.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                  How's anyone suppose to 'quickly' read that faint yellow writing..? Gosh, couldn't they have used a different colour?
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]2781[/ATTACH]
                  So, made a starter last night with 150g DME in 1.2litres water. Boiled it up to sterilise and cooled down to 35 then pitched the dry yeast. 1hr later the blowoff bubbler was playing a tune on the drums, this morning all quiet with a good amount of yeast dropped to the bottom. I'd say good return on investment.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2782[/ATTACH]
                  Cant see the images ???

1.jpg

When clicked ...

2.jpg

Comment

I re-uploaded the images - seems to have fixed it.
                    Funny enough, when I sent into edit mode, the first pictures where visible. I just deleted them and re-added them. Hope they stay there.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2786[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2787[/ATTACH]
                      yes that amount should go far. I've pitched less than a teaspoon before and it took off (Midtbust) so, a little really does go a long way.

Comment

I re-uploaded the images - seems to have fixed it.
                        Funny enough, when I sent into edit mode, the first pictures where visible. I just deleted them and re-added them. Hope they stay there.

Perfect now

Comment

Just got this same Kveik Voss this afternoon for an amber ale. Keen to see what happens and maybe try harvesting some too

Comment

Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                            Just got this same Kveik Voss this afternoon for an amber ale. Keen to see what happens and maybe try harvesting some too
                            Just save what's left after bottling/kegging. I did my usual 'dump into a container and plop in the fridge' - That's on its second brew currently

Comment

I finished brewing by 3pm .. pitched and all .. by 5pm ..plup plup plupedupdup.
                              Fermenters are going crazy now.

Comment

Working...
                              X