Temperature controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature controller

Hey guys, I managed to get my hands on an OLD fridge, but it seems to be working just fine. I need to replace the seals and one of the feet, but then it's working 100s. So, of course, I need to look at getting a temperature controller so I can turn it into a fermentation chamber when I'm not using it to keep my done beers cold. I'm wondering if someone doesn't maybe have an old STC-1000 or something lying around somewhere that I can use to tune the temperature of the fridge as I need it? I'm working on a VERY strict budget, so the cheaper the better (also why I'm not hunting new for now).

I see there's a seller on Bid or Buy that sells one for R309, new, but that's essentially coming from Banggood and I don't want to wait 4 months for it to arrive, if it arrives at all. The average prices I can find on them new is between R400 and R500. Brewmart has one right in that ballpark and then I can pick it up, but maybe someone here has one they're not using and don't mind passing it my way for a good price

I have bought this from these guys twice. Local stock, pargo delivery at just R60

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/4089...CAL_STOCK.html

You get 'real' STC1000's around R500-R600 and then you get 'other' STC1000's for a lot less. Both have done the job for me equally well without any issues to date. [just us an external relay]
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
      I have bought this from these guys twice. Local stock, pargo delivery at just R60

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/4089...CAL_STOCK.html

You get 'real' STC1000's around R500-R600 and then you get 'other' STC1000's for a lot less. Both have done the job for me equally well without any issues to date. [just us an external relay]
      Hey man! That does look like a "real" STC-1000? In fact, it's even marked "STC-1000" on the sheet and on the controller. Does it come with everything needed? Like, just plug in the fridge and let it rip, or do I need an external relay? Because I'm not electronically inclined like that, I'm going to either kill myself or Eskom if I try it...

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        Hey man! That does look like a "real" STC-1000? In fact, it's even marked "STC-1000" on the sheet and on the controller. Does it come with everything needed? Like, just plug in the fridge and let it rip, or do I need an external relay? Because I'm not electronically inclined like that, I'm going to either kill myself or Eskom if I try it...
        A quick trip to builders is all you will really need. The instructions are pretty clear and there is a lot of build advice on google/youtube.
        "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

Quite frankly I dont even know who the original manufacturer is because I see 'originals' made by many different companies. (Elitech I think) I am sure there are varying quality levels but it is such a simple and basic open source type thing that most of them will do the job fine. I am fairly sure this one is not one of the top end ones (the 2m sensor wire vs the 1m seems to be a good indicator of this), but I have never had issues.

It does have a built in relay and you dont 'have' to connect an external one but its just good practice to protect the integrated relay.. (if you got a more expensive one I would be more prone to fit an external one)

It has the sensor, but you would either need to bypass a wire from the fridge through the stc, or make a box unit with a plug socket and a length of cord

EDIT: easiest is to tie into the fridge power inlet near compressor, run a 3 core wire to where the stc is (on/ in the fridge). This also makes it easier to add the heating aspect later on when you want to.
          Langchop
          Last edited by Langchop; 11 April 2019, 12:56.
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

If you look here

http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthr...STC-1000-Build

You can find a very good pictures and guide to using the STC 1000 to control fermentation chamber temperature.

Comment

OK so while reading through all this it seems like I would like to build it like @Simple built his. That's what I had in mind, to be honest. I'll only hook it up to COOL, not HEAT, because the fridge will be standing in a hot garage so that's not an issue.

Anyway, I basically had the idea of building a small enclosure for the controller with a plug point on it where I can plug in the fridge. And that's it. It seems like the controller Lang posted above will do just fine, and it's actually right on the money I had in mind for this, so I think that'll be the one I'll order. The sensor length is just fine - I'll stick it to the roof of the fridge and that's where it'll stay. The controller in it's box can sommer lie on top of the fridge for all I care, it's going to be in the garage anyway. Wife is just too happy about the fridge because now the brewing stuff can get "out of the house".

Comment

Even if you just plan on using the cooling, I'd highly recommend also wiring the heating and going for the STC1000 rather than the STC200 (or the like). My reptile heat pads have been extremely useful at times.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                  Even if you just plan on using the cooling, I'd highly recommend also wiring the heating
                  +1. Its just a couple extra wires and a double plugpoint instead of a single plugpoint
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Just be careful if you go for a double plug. Often the Live is wired to both plug switches internal to the plug. What this means then is that both plug outlets are either going to be cooling or heating. And you want one heating and one cooling. Therefore unless your double plug has the capability to have separate Live connections, the answer is to use two single plug outlets.

But how do you know this you may ask - because I have made this mistake! (aka experience....)

Comment

Originally posted by Simple View Post
                      Just be careful if you go for a double plug. Often the Live is wired to both plug switches internal to the plug. What this means then is that both plug outlets are either going to be cooling or heating. And you want one heating and one cooling. Therefore unless your double plug has the capability to have separate Live connections, the answer is to use two single plug outlets.

But how do you know this you may ask - because I have made this mistake! (aka experience....)
                      I made exactly the same mistake! They dont make em like they used to?. I think most are like that. If I remember correctly the Crabtree ones still are separate.
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yeah I'll definitely do two different plugs then. They're cheap enough to get, so I'll just get two. A reptile heating pad is not a bad option to have. Thanks gents, I think I'm going to buy that one!

Comment

On that note then, welcome to a world of even better beer
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                            On that note then, welcome to a world of even better beer
                            Thanks! Temperature control has always been my main problem. I can't wait to try it at a nice, controlled temperature! I'm already planning a death-by-chocolate stout...

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                              Thanks! Temperature control has always been my main problem. I can't wait to try it at a nice, controlled temperature! I'm already planning a death-by-chocolate stout...
                              And on that note, they're damn snappy. Payment went through at 07:48. I just got the email that the parcel is "En Route", at 08:06. I'm impressed!

Picking up the fridge next weekend...

Comment

Working...
                              X