Off topic: Home automation / IoT stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RudiC View Post
    I will have to check this out for sure, sounds like fun.

You should also check out IFTTT for creating strings of reactions. Stands for IF THIS THEN THAT or something like that, so basically If motion is detected, Then switch light or whatever. I have it on my android phone. You can download actions as well. Thing that I found cool, setting the whole thing up that if your location is X away from home it will arm the alarm system automatically.
    IFTTT for sure, do check out Tasmota, you can reflash over the default sonoff firmware to increase usability, warranty will be void, but internet wont be required anymore. lan party !

Comment

I have a few sonoff basics around the house running ESPEasy firmware. Mostly light switches and my electric blanket. I'd like to wire up a few more lights but the sonoff does not work with multiway switches so will need to buy something else. Then I'd like to do some motorised blinds for a fold and stack door I have but that's a decent chunk of money so haven't committed yet.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
        where do you find the wemo devices locally or abroad? the alarm inputs being the magnetic door/window switches. What switches did you add to your gate/garage door?

i'm still cloud weary so i like the tasmota hack to sonoff and other esp8266 devices on home assistant on rpi. funny how quick scope creep rears its head
        Ooh you are going down a slippery slope when you introduce Home Assistant!

I was lucky that I built my house recently so when the electricians were doing their thing I made sure there were neutrals in every light switch.
        I went straight for Sonoff T1 switches, there are some T3's too but they were added later. All switches are flashed with Tasmota and integrated into HA via MQTT.
        For my bathrooms the light and extractor fans are each on their own switch on a T1, I also have a bluetooth Xiaomi temp/humidity sensor in the bathrooms. The sensors are read by an ESP32 which is running ESPhome and feeding into HA. There is an automation running that checks for changes in humidity and turns the extractors on until the humidity level comes down again. So if you take a shower the extractors just run for as long as they need to without having to remember to turn them on.

I also have a Wemos D1 mini in my garage roof that has a relay to the front gate and garage remote inputs for opening and closing each remotely. On the garage motor there is a hall effect sensor and a magnet on the unit to read open/close states of the garage door. There is so much you can do with a bit of C++ coding, a few sensors and an ESP8266.

Comment

@ Rocket-Boy Welcome and thanks for the input
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Cheers @Rocket-Boy , ill retrofit most devices etc, now i want a vacuum robot with mopping and self recharging too . If only theres a robot to iron clothes...

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Beachless View Post
              I have a few sonoff basics around the house running ESPEasy firmware. Mostly light switches and my electric blanket. I'd like to wire up a few more lights but the sonoff does not work with multiway switches so will need to buy something else. Then I'd like to do some motorised blinds for a fold and stack door I have but that's a decent chunk of money so haven't committed yet.
              You dont really need multiway switches, everything is software controlled so you can simulate two or three way switching.
              ESPEasy, Tasmota and ESPHome work best when running under a controller like Home Assistant.
              You can then do thing like set a long press action when holding a light switch for a second that turn on or off another light.
              As an example my garage light switch which is a Sonoff T3 has a long press action that will turn on the lounge and passage lights when I come home in the dark. I mostly use automations for turning lights on a sunset but long press actions are very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                @ Rocket-Boy Welcome and thanks for the input
                Thanks
                I was planning a better intro post but I get pretty excited about home automation!

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                  Cheers @Rocket-Boy , ill retrofit most devices etc, now i want a vacuum robot with mopping and self recharging too . If only theres a robot to iron clothes...

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
                  Lol yeah the ironing robot needs to be up next.
                  Some of the robot vacuums are really good these days with mopping functions etc. A lot of those can tie into Home Assistant too, makes it really convenient when you have motion sensing in rooms so that the vacuum doesnt end up buzzing about while you are in the room.

Comment

Working...
                  X