Devil's Peak Kings Blockhouse Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
    I think I'll buy some and sample for myself..

Which hops combinations do you think will produce 'that' litchi flavour? .. or maybe I should just try the recipe as is and see how it comes out. Bound to be good regardless.
    Kings Blockhouse is a 3 C's beer from what I understand.
    I have a very similar APA that uses Citra and Mosaic, it has that slight lychee to it.

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post

thanks. Interesting.
      I've made several Killer Hops brews and uses Citra for dry hoping - thou taste nothing like litchi to me. But then that's dry hopping - maybe different when it's boiled a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
        I have a very similar APA that uses Citra and Mosaic, it has that slight lychee to it.
        Professor Google:
        "Centennial is the third hop that makes up the trio known as the “Three Cs” hops; the other two being Cascade and Columbus, though many consider Chinook a “C” hop and have expanded the grouping to include it."

Again, Killer Hop has Cascade, Centennial & Citra.

I bought a 6pack Kings Blockhouse today - will sample some.. especially went to Tops at Paddocks .. but no Urquell

Comment

Let us know if you taste it.. Now that the shops are open again samples don't sound like a bad idea.. if they are fresh.

Comment

Right.. just had a few gulps.. Defitely litchi flavour/arome - I never know which one is which.. smells of litchi for sure.
            Quite bitter.
            Reading the label .. don't see any IBUs .. but noticed it's got wheat in it .. then the listed clone recipe is wrong. .. add 10% wheat !!

Comment

Kings Blockhouse with adjusted wheat addition in comparison with the Killer Hop grainbill. I though to use the amount of wheat used in the KH - as that has been proven to work and of course been suggested by Eben from Mad Giant.
              KB KH.jpg

Colour comparison with the real thing:
              20210729_161539.jpg
              AlexBrew
              Last edited by AlexBrew; 29 July 2021, 16:23.

Comment

but noticed it's got wheat in it
                See the recipe i posted post #10 ... also got wheat Did you miss that?
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
                  Yes but they also use Amarillo and something else, but I can't remember which now. I'm not buying too much hops though, what I have will have to work.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    See the recipe i posted post #10 ... also got wheat Did you miss that?
                    Duuuu .. yes I see now.
                    Thx for pointing that out. I see it's 5%

Comment

I based my recipe on post #6 including the hopbill .. but paying closer attention to post #1 then link description of the King Blockhouse, the original brew master said:

--------------
                      "The grain bill comprises pale ale malt, Munich malt, light cara-malt, and wheat malt.

What about the hops?! Well, the name of the game is US “C-hops”. I use Columbus, Chinook, Centennial, Amarillo, and Citra hops to achieve about 53IBUs and finish the beer off with a huge load of dry hops. It is only through dry hopping that one can achieve the sticking-your-face-into-the-hop-bag effect that this beer has. The aromas range from citrus through the tropical fruit department at Pick n Pay in January – guava, granadilla, and mango. In terms of bitterness, 53IBUs would be considered on the low side in the US; however, with an ABV also on the low end relative to US examples at 6%"
                      --------------

comparing this to the Beersmith recipe shows an IBU of 68 odd... which is off balance (BUGU) with 6% ABV

Comment

What does the original bottle show for ABV?

Yes, the recipe I saved is one that janhoeng uploaded onto Beersmith cloud ... it's not there anymore, but i saved it to my copy. Im not sure how/why he got 68.

The BU:GU on that recipe is at 1.172 yes

Comment

Shows 6% ABV on the bottle .. and is double dry hopped.

Comment

So I had my first taste of my Kings Blockhouse clone yesterday .. not fully carbed yet but not the same as the original. There is another hop in the original which mine doesn't have.
                            .. and haven't tasted it before or rather can't identify that hop .. but will get there I suppose.. eventually.
                            That said beer tastes awesome thou .. It falls in the Killer Hop, Electric PA category .. but different of course.
                            Think next time I'll dry hop with the Chinook as well.. will shuffle the hopbill a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                              So I had my first taste of my Kings Blockhouse clone yesterday .. not fully carbed yet but not the same as the original. There is another hop in the original which mine doesn't have.
                              .. and haven't tasted it before or rather can't identify that hop .. but will get there I suppose.. eventually.
                              That said beer tastes awesome thou .. It falls in the Killer Hop, Electric PA category .. but different of course.
                              Think next time I'll dry hop with the Chinook as well.. will shuffle the hopbill a bit.
                              Thanks for the update on this "Prince Alex's Blockhouse"

Comment

Working...
                              X