Grainfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
    Out of interest, any significant improvements on the new one vs the old? (I dont have any hands on GF experience.)
    Some improvements to prevent a scorched bottom (although I never had an issue)
    no more silicone seals in the grainbasket (although I never had an issue)
    New wifi controller
    improved "feet" on the grainbasket
    recirc pipe integrated
    sightglass
    CIP
    handles

‾\_(ツ)_/‾

Comment

"Brewing on a Grain father just isn't real brewing"

...said every brewer who doesn't have one, yet.
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Yeah I have to concur. I thought the same, felt it's "cheating", until I saw one in action and joined in on a brew. It's frigging amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
          The Dematech 60L looks the biz.
          https://ketelkraal.co.za/index.php/p...beer-mush-tun/ bit cheaper, same thing. do check the quality before pulling the trigger, both are clones of the robobrew/brewzilla sold by kegland and if anything quality may be a concern

Comment

^ Saving link (just in case)
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I brewed with a GF a few times and would still rather spend even more money on fermentation and/or kegging equipment than replace my 50L Keggle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
              2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                I brewed with a GF a few times and would still rather spend even more money on fermentation and/or kegging equipment than replace my 50L Keggle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                Whatever you use you can still make wort, it boils down to how much your time and effort is worth doing so. I like consistency and ease of use so the GF is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                  https://ketelkraal.co.za/index.php/p...beer-mush-tun/ bit cheaper, same thing. do check the quality before pulling the trigger, both are clones of the robobrew/brewzilla sold by kegland and if anything quality may be a concern
                  SWAMBO already has a GF, I hate brewing with it, the only good bits are the stable mash temps and the counterflow chiller. I'm moving to a 500L SS tank and grain basket.

Comment

I guess the features for making wort is great, just the boiling part that you hate? Or using the manual or auto temp control? Chilling wort with the CFC is great too?

Makes sense, I'll assume that 500l systems is a bit big for most homebrewers, but then again the 30l GF can't really be compared to 500l ... you must drink quite a bit to polish that or perhaps brew one style once a year?

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess the features for making wort is great, just the boiling part that you hate? Or using the manual or auto temp control? Chilling wort with the CFC is great too?

Makes sense, I'll assume that 500l systems is a bit big for most homebrewers, but then again the 30l GF can't really be compared to 500l ... you must drink quite a bit to polish that or perhaps brew one style once a year?

Or you've got a taproom like jakeslouw and the public is drinking your beers :P

Comment

I often find the sparge is slow and painful, and the GF is REALLY slow to get to a boil. I'm a Wham Bam type of brewer, I want to start, get done, have a beer. I can do 60L into the fermenters and everything cleaned before the GF has finished with the boil. I also find that the GF must have a rinse clean after every brew (80 deg water and circulate) and a deep clean with cleaner after around 5 brews otherwise it builds up scale and caramelised sugars.

Comment

That's odd, I have only had one stuck sparge and it goes pretty quick if it's not stuck. Admittedly mine starts ramping up as soon as I start the sparge and gets to the boil pretty fast, but I am at sea level so that might be a thing. I use spring water and never had scale build up, but do like to clean it before and after a brew. Might be overdoing the cleaning, but it satisfies my ocd.

@Toxxyc : I'm sure brewing 500l on a grainfather must be frustrating. I would also not be happy with doing those volumes on a homebrew system, it does a good job with efficiency for its intended purpose and if you use it the way you should it's a good piece of kit.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                            I often find the sparge is slow and painful, and the GF is REALLY slow to get to a boil. I'm a Wham Bam type of brewer, I want to start, get done, have a beer. I can do 60L into the fermenters and everything cleaned before the GF has finished with the boil. I also find that the GF must have a rinse clean after every brew (80 deg water and circulate) and a deep clean with cleaner after around 5 brews otherwise it builds up scale and caramelised sugars.
                            Bloody hell.. Would you be my mentor please?
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

My sparge in GF is pretty good - two tips - 1) Check your crush size - best recommendation seems to be 0.83mm double crushed for normal malted barley - sparge runs 15-20mins. and 2) give it a stir half way through the mash.

Agree the heat/boil is slow. I have the graincoat, it make a difference even at sea level. My old gas setup was much quicker, but the heating happens while he sparge is in progress so doesn't really cause a problem. I find the delay is heating mash water for a larger grain bill if you don't use the delayed heat function.

Cleaning is a pain - agreed. Originally I followed the instructions video and opened up after about 10 brews - wow, what a mess.

But - I would not trade the convenience on brew day. My study is next to the brewery (laundry) and I can watch the temp, timers, etc. everything from my desk while I'm working.

Comment

Yeah that's my sparge time too, I do clean the grainbasket after a sparge whilst it's ramping up so don't feel the delay.

I also use delayed heating on every brew, so I'm sleeping whilst it's heating up and wake up to mash in temperature ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X