All grain brewing - with GF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All grain brewing - with GF

Brewday Irish red, woke up at 4 to keep the peace with the wife and not kill her weekend.

brew went extremely well , the GF is really so efficient and consistent. For once I can actually focus on recipe development. Grain absorption , boil losses and trub losses are really consistent , preboil volume, pre transfer and fermenter volumes are always spot on

All the best for the weekend

At first I thought "wife and girlfriend (GF)? Impressive!"

Then I realised you were talking about the Grainfather....
    Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

I can only echo your sentiments, I love the GF and am very interested to see what they're launching in a few days. I think it will be a XL GF 50 or 60 litres model. Here I go breaking the bank again...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m itching for the gf conical fermenter. Don’t think you get a fermenter like it but the price with the glycol chiller just too pricey

Comment

Originally posted by Tmartins View Post
          Brewday Irish red, woke up at 4 to keep the peace with the wife and not kill her weekend.

brew went extremely well , the GF is really so efficient and consistent. For once I can actually focus on recipe development. Grain absorption , boil losses and trub losses are really consistent , preboil volume, pre transfer and fermenter volumes are always spot on

All the best for the weekend
          I set mine to delayed heat so that it is ready at 5am.I then wake up at 5 and mash in, I then set my alarm clock to however long the mash is and go back to bed. This is really where the grainfather shines as the entire mash can be automated.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
            I can only echo your sentiments, I love the GF and am very interested to see what they're launching in a few days. I think it will be a XL GF 50 or 60 litres model. Here I go breaking the bank again...

That is would require it to have a beefed up heating element as the current 2kw just manages the current size.

Problem is that a 3KW or so element will probably trip most plug socket breakers. Easily rectifier by getting an electrician in but it would make it that much less consumer friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by atunguyd View Post
              I set mine to delayed heat so that it is ready at 5am.I then wake up at 5 and mash in, I then set my alarm clock to however long the mash is and go back to bed. This is really where the grainfather shines as the entire mash can be automated.

Yep, I do the same, except for today. Set it to startup at 6am and alarm set to 630. Eskom mucked me about for a bit.

Perhaps the new gf, if that is what it is, has a induction heating system? It would push heating times down, but I know little of electrical voodoo.

Comment

I’m happy with the 30 liter system , can’t really see much that could improve the system. The beer comes out so clear. my work needs to be on fermentation now. The only concerns I have is if the gf element or pump fails what can be done. Maybe pump can be sourced but element is enclosed not sure if it can be replaced

Comment

It would be nice if they sold separately a the simple urn , no pipes or fittings,no cooler, no controller etc etc for a fraction of the price as a replacement part

Comment

Well from experience I know that a GF on full boil will melt a 10A extension lead........ so that is 2.2kW +

Isn't the 30L GF using a 2500W element?

EDIT: 2kW plus a 500W so on full rolling boil, 2500W.
                    jakeslouw
                    Last edited by jakeslouw; 7 April 2019, 11:36.

Comment

It’s a 2000 w element. For me it’s fast enough. Think the old versions before the connect had those two switches boil and mash 1500 and 500w

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                        Well from experience I know that a GF on full boil will melt a 10A extension lead........ so that is 2.2kW +

Isn't the 30L GF using a 2500W element?

EDIT: 2kW plus a 500W so on full rolling boil, 2500W.
                        There's only one element, you can verify this by looking at the plug going into your controller. It has three pins: live neutral and earth. For two element there is would need to be another live or neutral.

The connect controller's either runs that one element at full power for the boil and to get to temp or it switches to a pwm more where it can control power by pulsing it. You will notice in this mode that that the illuminated power switch pulses as well.

Comment

What’s ur feel gud if the element packs up can it be changed

Comment

Originally posted by Tmartins View Post
                            What’s ur feel gud if the element packs up can it be changed
                            Would you need to open up the bottom and see what how thee element is fitted.

Element failure though is pretty rare especially if there is overheated protection (which is there is).

Comment

To keep the Grainfather discussion alive... A sneak peak of the new one

https://www.facebook.com/grainfather/

If this link works that is.

EDIT: Some more info if you can stare at an urn for 8 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U94ivVRatVY
                              Langchop
                              Last edited by Langchop; 15 April 2019, 12:39.
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Working...
                              X