Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the guys can turn bad beer into whisky, is there no way to save this? ... turn it into mampoer or what-not
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
      If the guys can turn bad beer into whisky, is there no way to save this? ... turn it into mampoer or what-not
      Well i was going to distill it, but my guess is that i will only make marula vinegar if i do that. Will run 2 batches of 25L and see what comes out. If it is worth it, i will do the rest.

Comment

• Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
        Well i was going to distill it, but my guess is that i will only make marula vinegar if i do that. Will run 2 batches of 25L and see what comes out. If it is worth it, i will do the rest.
        What was the FG? Did it ferment at all?

Comment

• Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
          What was the FG? Did it ferment at all?
          I pitched on tuesday. Checked yesterday to make sure fermentation kicked of. That is when that very strong odor hit me.

Don’t know sg. It was 9brix. Being fruit pulp based, it’s too thick to use a hydrometer.
          It did create a moerse krausen. I’m talking 35cm high.
          The idea was to add 25kg of inverted sugar once the marula fully fermented.
          Not going to waste further money.
          Funny thing is: juice tasted fine before i pitched.

Comment

• What did you learn today

Smell subsided a bit. Even had a taste. I might still add the sugar.
            Down to 5 brix
            CraftyZA
            Last edited by CraftyZA; 11 August 2018, 16:16.

Comment

• Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
              I pitched on tuesday. Checked yesterday to make sure fermentation kicked of. That is when that very strong odor hit me.

Don’t know sg. It was 9brix. Being fruit pulp based, it’s too thick to use a hydrometer.
              It did create a moerse krausen. I’m talking 35cm high.
              The idea was to add 25kg of inverted sugar once the marula fully fermented.
              Not going to waste further money.
              Funny thing is: juice tasted fine before i pitched.
              Isn't it Brix x 4 = ±SG ??

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                Isn't it Brix x 4 = ±SG ??
                Yeah, seems pretty close.

Comment

• What did you learn today

Ok i seriously have no idea what is going on here.
                  The fruit mash smelled divine this morning. I was almost tempted to taste it before work. Probably a bad idea. Any ways, so i pitched 10kg candi syrup 5am this morning. (Inverted sugar syrup)

A few days ago, it smelled like vinegar pudding fresh from the over. So vinegarry it nearly knocked my breath out. Let it stand a couple of days, and all you smell is marula. Most divine marula with a hint of that local wild yeast we find on our marulas.

So my lesson...
                  RAHA(f)HB.

Comment

• When you make a cabinet for your fermenter and make it high enough above the floor to fit the filler tube to the tap in situ.... Make sure you also allow enough space to fit the bottle underneath
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• ^ I've always found it easier to attach a tube and the take the filler to the bottles standing on ground level, than lifting each bottle up to the filler/tap

Comment

• That would work very well in this scenario
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• I learnt that my hoppy wheat beer is supposed to be hazy/cloudy. Was wondering why it was not clear......

Comment

• Originally posted by Simple View Post
                            I learnt that my hoppy wheat beer is supposed to be hazy/cloudy. Was wondering why it was not clear......

Oh my grief

Comment

• Originally posted by Simple View Post
                              I learnt that my hoppy wheat beer is supposed to be hazy/cloudy. Was wondering why it was not clear......

A wheat beer CAN be crystal clear. If you make an American Wheat it should be clear, but weiss beers are usually cloudy.

The important part is that it should taste good

Comment

• Dussel Altbier 1lt from Drayman Brewery is a locally produced German styled beer that is absolutely fantastic. Seriously.
                                Beautiful copper color, nice and light at 4%, not a lot of complex flavours (IMHO). Just an easy drinking beer.
                                "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

Working...
                                X