Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had 25l water in total in the kettle and got it up to 72C. Tapped 6l off into a pre-heated coolerbox and left it covered for the dunk.

5.1kg grains were then mashed as normal in the kettle (only 19l at this point). After 60 mins I squeezed and transferred bag to coolerbox. Stirred in the dryish grains into 6l water and left covered for 10mins. Did final squeeze and transferred coolerbox liquid into kettle.

For next time (seeing as there is an efficiency gain), I'll put the usual 28l into kettle and then tap off 10l into coolerbox.

I believe toxxyc dunks twice, both in clean water.
    BruHaha
    Last edited by BruHaha; 1 February 2021, 12:56.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
      BIAB no rice hulls required.
      I'm using a bucket and definitely needed rice hulls. Took me half an hour to empty the bucket

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
      Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

• Thanks Bru.
        I think I'm going to give this a try in some form next time
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• OK so for big batches, let's say, 45l, I do the following:

25l Strike Water
          10l Sparge Water
          10l Sparge Water

I mash in the strike, in the big urn. I use around 7kg malt to make a bigger batch on usual, so I then:

Heat 22l of water in my blue boiling bucket while the mash goes in the big urn. When the mash is complete I pour out 12l of water from the boiling bucket into a regular white bucket. I then lift the grain bag from the urn, spin/squeeze it and then dunk it into the blue bucket.

The 7kg of wet malt plus the 10l of water in the blue bucket means it fill up right to the top. I open the bag and stir the malt inside properly to make sure it's nice and soaked, then I lift out the back, spin/squeeze it and then dunk it into the 12l of hot water in the bucket. I do the same, spin and squeeze.

Then everything gets poured into the urn and boiled as usual.

Comment

• It was like 2 days ago when i said i still make rookie mistakes from time to time......
            I kegged my belgian pale and wanted to pitch my white ipa on the yeast cake.
            I was to lazy to remove the fermenter from the fridge and since the cube im pitching from fits, why go through the effort.
            Then i had trouble getting the last bit out, pushed to far and managed to spill over a leter of wort over the entire fridge. So i had to remove everything anyway for the cleaning. And i have less beer.
            The lesson : dont be Dom!

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• LOL_new.jpg

-----------------------
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                OK so for big batches, let's say, 45l, I do the following:

25l Strike Water
                10l Sparge Water
                10l Sparge Water

I mash in the strike, in the big urn. I use around 7kg malt to make a bigger batch on usual, so I then:

Heat 22l of water in my blue boiling bucket while the mash goes in the big urn. When the mash is complete I pour out 12l of water from the boiling bucket into a regular white bucket. I then lift the grain bag from the urn, spin/squeeze it and then dunk it into the blue bucket.

The 7kg of wet malt plus the 10l of water in the blue bucket means it fill up right to the top. I open the bag and stir the malt inside properly to make sure it's nice and soaked, then I lift out the back, spin/squeeze it and then dunk it into the 12l of hot water in the bucket. I do the same, spin and squeeze.

Then everything gets poured into the urn and boiled as usual.
                Have to thank you again for this method. Brewed this weekend using a single version of your dunk:

Heated 26l urn water to 80.
                Tapped off 10l into coolerbox.
                Did normal 4kg grainbill biab mash for 60 mins after urn water had cooled.
                Squeezed bag.
                Transferred bag to cooler box and mash again for 10 mins (water was at correct mash temp by now).
                Squeezed bag.
                Combine all liquids in urn.

Easy peasy and I got 82% efficiency.

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                  Have to thank you again for this method. Brewed this weekend using a single version of your dunk:

Heated 26l urn water to 80.
                  Tapped off 10l into coolerbox.
                  Did normal 4kg grainbill biab mash for 60 mins after urn water had cooled.
                  Squeezed bag.
                  Transferred bag to cooler box and mash again for 10 mins (water was at correct mash temp by now).
                  Squeezed bag.
                  Combine all liquids in urn.

Easy peasy and I got 82% efficiency.
                  Lekker man, yeah the method is a bit more work, but it pays off. I've calculated the gains from using a kilo or so less grains each batch I make and it makes a difference in the long run. Not massive, but a worthy gain for me. Keeps me brewing.

Comment

• If you like the taste of burnt rubber dont check temps before pitching your dunkelweizen from the no chill cube on top of your yeast.

Otherwise make sure you are close to pitching temp before chucking yeast in.

It will probably be a dumper sadly but I will let it ride in the hope that something magical happens.

Comment

• What was the temp from the cube when you pitched it, and what's the yeast's temps?

The general rule is usually "pitch low on the yeast's temp range". Higher is rarely better...

Comment

• The whole idea with cubes is also to pitch the next day, so unless you stored it in the oven, how was it still to hot?

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                          What was the temp from the cube when you pitched it, and what's the yeast's temps?

The general rule is usually "pitch low on the yeast's temp range". Higher is rarely better...
                          Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          The whole idea with cubes is also to pitch the next day, so unless you stored it in the oven, how was it still to hot?
                          I got finished a few hours later than normal. when I pitched the next day it was still at about 30C. yeast temp looks to be between 18-24. I didn't think it was crazy high but apparently the DIY-weizen from Liquid culture did not like it at all.

I took a sample and cold crashed it over night to get the yeast to floc but it tastes even worse this morning, think I'm going to dump this and retry next week.

from my reading it's either a mayor infection, autolysis(From pitching hot) or iodophor., so I will be tossing the bucket, cleaning everything else with iodophor and then rinsing and spraying with starsan to rule out any infection (Personally don't think it's an infection), and lastly cooling to 17C before pitching again. Hoping that sorts me out.

Fun times lads.. my first dumper.. we live and learn

Comment

• 30șC is actually not that bad (not that i would pitch at that temp unless kveik)... ± same temp you would re-hydrate dry yeast?

What do you mean CLEAN with Iodophor? ... that's a sanitizer just like Stansan

Comment

• Wait, how long has this stuff been fermenting for?

If its not more than 10 days I say ride it out.

30 deg is about the range you would rehydrate at like Jigsaw says. I usually pitch at the high end of the yeasts happy temp so that it can get an active start and not start sluggish anyway (then start cooling straight away to target temp)

Not sure why you then are targeting 17 deg when the recommendation is 18 to 24 deg?

Ride it out and you will learn even more, even if you do dump it in the end.
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Yeah 30's not that bad. Let it sit for a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X