Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post
    Anyone have a good wit bier recipe that includes some coriander and orange zest? I am trying to clone darling bonecrusher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wit I brewed a couple of times. The Yeast used was from Lallemand. You can also use Mangrove Jacks M21.
    Turned out quite good.

Wit.jpg
    BeerHolic
    Last edited by BeerHolic; 13 May 2021, 08:14.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
      I think Jitters was saying you can get the orange and coriander flavour from the hops and yeast?

I brewed a Wit with orange and coriander but went too hard on the coriander, be very careful with that one. Might be worth following Jitters link for a first one. If I were to brew again I wouldn't add coriander and would keep it simple.

I'm a fan of using orange or other citrus peel in brews mostly session IPAs but you can easily (accidently) add extra bitterness from the peel.
      Yeah sorry if I confused, you can get the citrus from the hops, but there are other hops that have a similar profile.

Get yourself 2 ounces (57 g) of Pacific Jade, a New Zealand hop variety that features…wait for it…lemon, orange, pepper, and herbs.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
        Wit I brewed a couple of times. The Yeast used was from Lallemand. You can also use Mangrove Jacks M21.
        Turned out quite good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3302[/ATTACH]
        Originally posted by Jitters View Post
        Yeah sorry if I confused, you can get the citrus from the hops, but there are other hops that have a similar profile.
        Thanks Guys. I will go basic on the first one, I see nfp has a wit bier recipe.

As all know I am a super newbie so figuring things out by the day (need a mentor...). The plan was to do Irish red and something else this weekend, but was informed that my benoni brew delivery has been delayed to end of May..

Comment

• Originally posted by DeanoZA View Post
          The only place I've found carboys, is on Takealot R200.00. Sounds reasonable

https://m.takealot.com/18l-18-9-20l-...a/PLID69530310

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk
          I got mine from a H2O shop in Malmesbury .. R150 for a 5gal clean one or R100 for a dusty one - doh. R3.50 for the blue seal cap. I use them exclusively for my fermenting.

EDIT: This the factory that makes them:
          http://www.fabocaps.co.za/
          AlexBrew
          Last edited by AlexBrew; 13 May 2021, 16:58.

Comment

Anyone have a good wit bier recipe that includes some coriander and orange zest? I am trying to clone darling bonecrusher.

The Castle Malting site has good recipes:
            https://www.castlemalting.com/Castle...erRecipes.asp?

Try this one for a wheat beer with cumin and orange zest:
            https://www.castlemalting.com/CastleMaltingBeerRecipes.asp?Command=RecipeViewHtm l&RecipeID=12

https://www.castlemalting.com/Castle...l&RecipeID=175
            AlexBrew
            Last edited by AlexBrew; 13 May 2021, 17:18.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
              I got mine from a H2O shop in Malmesbury .. R150 for a 5gal clean one or R100 for a dusty one - doh. R3.50 for the blue seal cap. I use them exclusively for my fermenting.

EDIT: This the factory that makes them:
              http://www.fabocaps.co.za/
              That's a good idea. I've got a friend with a couple of water shops, so will speak to him.

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

• So, is there anyone here that can maybe help with setting up a Brewfather water profile?

I have the following details, but I'm stuck on the Bicarbonate value. Since it's not given, but the alkalinity is (as well as TDS), do I add a value for Bicarbonate until I get the value 3 as stated in the source, or should the be the residual alkalinity? And what about the TDS value?

water profile.png

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Well, since it's Friday and most of us were on our 3rd beer by the time you posted this, can we re-visit this on Monday please?

PS: im drunk ... it's 23:22 after all
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    Well, since it's Friday and most of us were on our 3rd beer by the time you posted this, can we re-visit this on Monday please?

[emoji14]

PS: im drunk ... it's 23:22 after all
                    Well I'm brewing today so I'm going with what I have. The salt amounts are small. < 0.5g so in this batch I guess mucking it up won't won't be as bad as if it were on the order of a couple of grams.

Comment

• Originally posted by SykomantiS View Post
                      Well I'm brewing today so I'm going with what I have. The salt amounts are small. < 0.5g so in this batch I guess mucking it up won't won't be as bad as if it were on the order of a couple of grams.

Bicarbonate is normally such small amounts anyway. Focus on gypsum and chloride

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                        R1080 is very cheap for a 50L stainless pot, mind sharing where you saw this price.
                        R1080 is expensive. I bought one for R850. It works like a charm.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8797454075365/

Comment

• Originally posted by Iaan Roux View Post
                          R1080 is expensive. I bought one for R850. It works like a charm.
                          https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8797454075365/
                          Sjo .. that is cheap. I paid R1850 for my 50litre pot from BeerGuevara.. Thing doesn't even have handles. .. got a tap though

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                            Sjo .. that is cheap. I paid R1850 for my 50litre pot from BeerGuevara.. Thing doesn't even have handles. .. got a tap though
                            I did enquire with them.

One thing to note is that it's 201 SS, majority quality pots are 304.

Google tells me 201 is low nickel, so I guess in the long run you will have to replace.

Comment

I did enquire with them.

One thing to note is that it's 201 SS, majority quality pots are 304.

Google tells me 201 is low nickel, so I guess in the long run you will have to replace.

201 is fine ... just dont store chemicals in it
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Any idea where I can find this diffuser, the one at the end of the circulation pipe?

Comment

Working...
                                X